trunk pops open

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Just curious: Has anybody had their trunk lid pop open by itself? It first happened to us about a week after buying the car (2011 Jetta TDI with the KESSY Vunderbar keyless system). Here's the deal: Lock the car, leave, come back and open the trunk to put stuff in. Shut the trunk and walk around the left rear of the car to get in. Just as you pass by the taillight, "Click!" the trunk pops up (just sometimes-if it's in the mood to do this, it will do it repeatedly. Other times. nothing happens). The dealer didn't have an explanation, but of course it wouldn't do it for them at first. A couple of times I did not hear or see it come open but found myself driving down the street with the lid wide open! If anybody has any ideas, i'd welcome them. Thanks, Allan

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Could be a bad latch or misaligned latch.

Sometimes if I don't shut lid with enough force it will pop open on me. Don't use enough force to dent metal or slam but a good swift shut of the lid. Hard to explain, but maybe why. Just a thought.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Thanks for the replies but this is an electronic issue. If I stand at the trunk and wait 5 or 10 seconds before moving, the trunk stays shut. I cannot pull the trunk lid open so it is latched OK. When it does come open you can plainly hear the click of the release solenoid. I should mention that the fat key fob is in my pocket whenever this happens.
I just found out that if I wave the fob past the left taillight the trunk will pop open.

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, mine pops open....sometimes...when I get out of the car....and without my intervention...I think. I mean it pops open alright and I haven't figured out why. 09' Jetta TDI. Just figured I was losing my mind...maybe I am!! :eek:

Karl

Puddle

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I have this same exact issue, car locked, i throw something in the trunk and then walk around to the drivers door and just as I hit the corner of the car the trunk pops back open. Super frustrating because I don't know what's causing it. It sounds like maybe an intended feature? Haven't tried just waving the fob by the taillight. I'll give this a try.

Puddle

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Just tested this. It does not work it I just wave the fob by the taillight. The only way to replicate this is with the car locked, open the trunk like normal (just hitting the button with the fob in my pocket), close the trunk and then walk to the drivers side, as soon as I get the corner of the car it pops back open.
This does not seem to be an intended feature. I also just stood with fob near both lights for a period of time to see if it popped the trunk and nothing. Also waved the fob near both light to see if it popped the trunk and nothing.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Puddle, if you haven't already, try waving the fob past the taillight immediately after shutting the trunk lid. Seems to make a difference if you step back and wait a few seconds, for some reason. Try this when all the doors are locked, too. Since it is an intermittent problem, I think it is a software glitch of some kind.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Popped the trunk, locked the car.
Took stuff out of the trunk and closed it.
1 or 2 seconds later, when I was still next to the back of the car, the trunk popped open by itself.

It only happened once to me.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
If your key is in your pocket, make sure it's not being squished into something else in your pocket that's pressing your button.

ShawnShady

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDi 3 Pedals
Haha this happened last weekend. Me and my wife went to the mall for some shopping and she threw her purse in the trunk, started walking away and the trunk just opened. I closed it and it opened it two more times before I realized her key to the car was in her purse.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
That's almost too logical :D I can't believe no one's dealer figured that out yet. I swear there is more collective knowledge (mechanical and featurewise) on this site of these cars than 99% of dealerships.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The latch on my JSW (2009) failed on a trip last week. The rear tailgate or hatch would close, but not latch. It would stay down due the overcenter gas springs, but could be opend without hitting the unlock microswitch.
It would buzz for a second when locked from the remote.
The cheap miserable plastic parts in the latch mechanism had failed.
$$$100.00 later I bought a replacement latch that has even more plastic in it.
Reinstalled the latch and it works for a while longer.
This is the first time I have had a latch fail, but I understand it is a common thing on VW's to use throwaway parts on premium cars. I guess to save weight of the small steel parts that would have lasted the life of the car. Plus of course the profit stream of the repair parts that they can reinvest in research and development of other weight saving, revenue producing parts for future cars.
This may be why VW's profit margin is better than other manufacturers.
Plus they save money on training technicians to maintain them and also the train of parts and labor replacing the wrong parts as well!
I love driving my TDI JSW, owning it not so much.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
This has been happening to me! I thought I was going crazy. Anyone have a solution?
The car thinks your key is in the trunk. The car will not let you lock the car if the keys are inside the car. Kessy only systems! So close the lid and step back from your car. Standing next the car by the trunk will make the car think the key is inside the car. Instead of locking the car then closing the trunk. Try closing the trunk and then locking the car via door handle and or with the remote button several yards from the car. The trunk will stay closed I bet.