Trunk Opens when FOB Unlock pressed - then won't close

glandpuck

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG Pack2
My 06 TDI started having a problem where the trunk would pop open when you pressed the keyfob button to unlock the car doors. Then, you close the trunk and it would pop open again. This happens sporadically, even in 60 degree temperatures. Sometimes, it takes about 10 times of closing it to get it to stay closed without popping open again. I replaced the trunk lock (Part # 4F5 827 505 D) and the same thing still happens. You press the unlock door button on the keyfob and the trunk pops open. You try to close it and it may take 10 times to close. You can be driving and it can pop open. But, it mostly starts happening after you press the keyfob.

Since the latch mechanism has been replaced, it now seems like it is some electrical problem. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. I have a VAG-COM.

2006.5 TDI, DSG , 74K miles, Cu 4ppm (cam seems okay)

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
My 2005.5 is doing the same thing, with the fob or door release, I assume it's the cable hanging up, I'm going to lube it. The trunk icon on the instrument panel shows it open. If I open the trunk with the key, I have no problem.

Last edited:

roccman

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Have you tried unlocking the car with the second set of keyfob. its worth the extra few min. to rule out the remote as your culprit, assuming you have the other one.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Do you here it electrically releasing again, or is it not latching correctly, like an alignment issue of some sort?

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Known issue.
Flaky parts in the latch.

A.) Squirt a small amount of WD-40, or another lube of your choice into the latch.
B.) Install a new latch.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Tim Birney said:
Known issue.
Flaky parts in the latch.

A.) Squirt a small amount of WD-40, or another lube of your choice into the latch.
B.) Install a new latch.
Makes sense, and I have the same problem. I have not bothered to do anything about it yet though.

But what do you do if you are the OP? He already replaced the latch and it is still happening... :( Lube the latch and hope?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Just a totally random thought.. Is the car somehow coded for two door or having a hatch?

glandpuck

TDI
I have already replace the latch. The old latch looks exactly like the new latch. Both key FOB's cause the same problem. If the trunk pops open, you close it, it stays closed for 1-2 seconds and then pops open again. it can do this maybe 8 - 10 times before it remains closed. The latches are held in by 2 bolts, they are not adjustable. The cable is short and on a spring loaded retracter. The trunk latches are protected from dirt by their covers.

So, the question is: why is this happening? I believe this is some type of electrical problem or coding problem since pressing an unlock button opens the trunk which is not the intended consequence. then it opens again, maybe because the doors are unlocked?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
glandpuck said:
So, the question is: why is this happening? I believe this is some type of electrical problem or coding problem since pressing an unlock button opens the trunk which is not the intended consequence. then it opens again, maybe because the doors are unlocked?
This is why I suspected that the car may be coded for a Golf /JSW hatch. When you unlock all the doors, the hatch unlocks as well then you use the handle to open it. If the unlock signal is sent to the trunk latch, it might be just opening it.

Have you had anyone re-code your car for anything?

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
The latch should make a distinct sound when it cycles; is it making this sound each time or is it simply not grabing the hook on the trunk? In the couple of seconds the trunk is closed, if you lift up on it, does it open or is it latched, then the latch cycles again and opens?

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
glandpuck said:
I have already replace the latch. The old latch looks exactly like the new latch. Both key FOB's cause the same problem. If the trunk pops open, you close it, it stays closed for 1-2 seconds and then pops open again. it can do this maybe 8 - 10 times before it remains closed. The latches are held in by 2 bolts, they are not adjustable. The cable is short and on a spring loaded retracter. The trunk latches are protected from dirt by their covers.

I could see how that may make some sense, but I have the same type of problem but it will occur either way. Opening the trunk via drivers door release, key fob, or even the manual key whole on the trunk itself may or may not result with the trunk poping back open after closing it.

IMHO it must be a effective latch problem, but then I don't get why it was not solved by replacing your latch...:( It is kind of annoying to say the least, even dangerous possibly. The first time I had my trunk open like that I was actually driving at about 45mph about 10 min after leaving my house... Needless to say I was a bit :eek:! It could possibly be a danger on the highway if that happened.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
I removed the latch from trunk lid... opened the latch up , repositioned the inner return spring on the release pin.

Latch works like a champ now.

Spring collapses and does not push the release pin back fully... so the trunk lid will not close , even by slamming it.. :D

glandpuck

TDI
More info:
The trunk pops open if you press the keyfob unlock button, either keyfob does this. If you close the trunk lid, it will stay closed for 2-8 seconds, then pop open. You cannot hear anything abnormal. Just closed, then pops open. HOWEVER, IF YOU UNLOCK THE DOORS WITH THE KEYFOB, THE TRUNK POPS OPEN, DO NOT CLOSE IT, PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION, START THE CAR, THEN GO AND CLOSE THE TRUNK LID, IT DOES NOT POP OPEN. The latch was replaced with a brand new latch and the car has not been recoded (it has alligator tune, but this was put in almost 2 years ago and latch problem began in last couple of months.

Any ideas on where to look. I have a vag-com. Getting closer to the dealership (they told me they have not seen this problem).