Trunk opens on its own!

Sepehr

TDI
2006 jetta tdi gls
I am new to this and I looked but I could not find anyone with the same problem. I have a 2006 Jetta TDI I hope I am in the right section (sorry if I am not)

Yesterday I went to my car and unlocked the drivers door with the fob, and the door unlocked along with the trunk so i just closed the trunk no big deal. I thought I might have accidentally hit the unlock and the trunk open button so I did not think much of it. I went back a few hours later unlocked the drivers door again and made sure I pressed the correct button, and the trunk also opened again. Confused I just closed the trunk and it opened itself again right after :S lol. Even more confused I closed it again and the trunk decided it was not finished so it opened AGAIN. Finally it stayed closed and I was able to drive away with a closed trunk. After having dinner with a friend I came back to the car unlocked the driver door and again the trunk opened so I closed it 2-3 times without it staying closed (it closes but opens itself up as if unlocking it from the fob or the trunk release). I decided to start the car and then try and close it and it worked until I started to drive away lol it opened while I was in motion. closed it again and it stayed closed. And even today it is doing the same thing.

I tried switching fobs, I tried locking the trunk release from inside the car. it still opens when I unlock the door.

Any ideas?
Thanks

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I also have an 06 TDI that I bought about a year ago. For the first few weeks, I found the trunk mysteriously opening at odd times. I finally concluded that I was accidentally pressing the middle button, or that the other keys on my too full keychain were doing so. I changed the keychain around, got rid of keys that were not actually needed, and oh, sprayed the trunk latch with WD-40. I have far fewer surprise trunk openings now.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Check the wiring harness that runs between the car and the door, inside the boot. It's known to get stretched out and the wires frayed, which causes things like this.

shmingas

TDI
2005.5 jetta
Same problem

I had this same problem! I would have the trunk closed, and then drive down the highway and it would pop open. Then it became harder to close. I would have to slam the trunk like 6 times. Which got so annoying that it became to painful to use the trunk. Finally I sprayed the trunk release mechanism with wd-40. Now, everything is fine. It has been months. It must have needed a good lube job. I am sure any lubricant will work for you.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
I had this same problem! I would have the trunk closed, and then drive down the highway and it would pop open. Then it became harder to close. I would have to slam the trunk like 6 times. Which got so annoying that it became to painful to use the trunk. Finally I sprayed the trunk release mechanism with wd-40. Now, everything is fine. It has been months. It must have needed a good lube job. I am sure any lubricant will work for you.
In your case, a good SNOT FULL of WD-40 in the Trunk Latch may work. (Worked for me)

dbdubb

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 10 Q7
WD40 did the trick for me as well. Blast it up into the latch mechanism and give it a few open and closes to get the parts moving.