Trunk latch on 06 Jetta

texmavrick

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Grey
Can someone tell me what tool is needed to remove the trunk latch from a 06 Jetta? The trunk will not close correctly and non of the tools we have will work on the bolts holding the latch in place.

Thanks!

jproctor9

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi 5spd
is your latch sticking?

if your latch is like mine, it started sticking for some reason. not sure if it's due to soot from the exhaust or what, but a little WD40 applied freed it up (after attempting to take apart the latch to figure what was going on).

best of luck,

jp

Robintexas

TDI
2006 Jetta
Just depends on how 'deep" you want or need to go. The trunk liner is held on by clips that will pull out if coached gently. There are 4 black plastic "set pins" that need the center portion pulled out about 1/8" then grab the center pin and twist back and forth while pulling. It is still possible to break these as I have done. Once the truck deck cover is off everything is fairly easy to get to. The latch striker..remove the large plastic cover then you will need the 12 point driver to adjust the striker if nessesary.

rgravesjr

TDI
VW Jetta MKV, 2005.5, Platinum Gray
You may be experiencing "Trunk Latch Hell." Welcome to it. I'm on my 4th one. I replaced the last one myself and don't remember any unusual tools, but you might want to check that it isn't broken. A piece inside can break off, causing closing issues.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
I will bring this thread back up...

my 2006 Jetta trunk lid would not latch on a rare occasion. Of course it worked fine for my wife. LOL....... It acted like the latch was completely gone.. you pushed the lid closed it just bounced back open

then ... the trunk latch acted up for my wife. :D It would not latch for 3-6 tries. IF you opened the trunk lid wide open , then close it, that helped.

I adjusted the fixed pin the latch strikes.... no improvement

I found a post on another forum about an internal latch mechanism spring that would weaken and not return the release pin to full reset.

I took my latch out and modified the spring per this other forum post.

Now my latch opens and closes perfect... you can also now hear two distinct 'cliks' , one clik as the latch releases , then the second clik as the internal pin latch retracts as the trunk lid rises up.

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
I just did the repair, and I decided to post some details because I didn't find this described in detail here.

('06 Jetta TDI Sedan) Pull the plastic cover off of the latch. It is just a friction-fit. There are four phillips-head screws holding the semi-rigid liner to the trunk lid, just behind the latch and across the width of the lid. Towards the edge of the liner, there are four plastic standoffs with metal clips on the end that snap into the trunk lid. If you get your fingers between the liner and lid and peer inside, you'll see the standoffs. Try to get in there with your hands or coax the clips out with a large screwdriver.

Now you can get to the two 10mm nuts that hold the latch to the lid. Remove them. Remove the electrical connector and the two mechanical release cables from the latch.

You're trying to get to the electric release pin. It is in the plastic housing in the middle of the latch together with the electric motor and gears. Examine the plastic housing and notice the one-way clips that hold the housing together. These are not easy to remove, but it is not impossible. I used a screwdriver and took my time. You do not want to break any of these clips -- the housing acts as the bearings for the gears.

Once inside, you'll see a large gear with a plastic pin in the center. How it works: The motor turns the gear, which turns the pin. A tiny cog near the spring-end of that pin catches on a 'cam' (moulded into the housing) and stops the pin from turning. When the pin can't turn, it is then forced to move laterally. It extends out and pushes against the release lever. Near the end of the travel of the pin, the cam changes shape, which lets the pin turn just a bit and get ready for the 'release' section of the cam. Once the power to the motor is gone, the strong spring pulls the pin back a bit, and the cog should now be in the release position. When you close the trunk lid, the release lever pushes against the pin, retracting it even further.

What I noticed was the combination of the lack of lubricant and a spring that maybe isn't quite long enough was preventing the pin from moving into the release position. It would hold the release lever down, which prevented the latch from - latching. As someone else described, the trunk would behave as though it had no latch at all.

I used a light weight silicone grease. This is similar to what you get at the parts store to put on spark plug boots, but make sure it is a jelly consistency rather than a thick paste. (Stay away from petroleum oils and greases, which might affect the plastic parts.) Take the pin out and grease it up. You can try to stretch the spring some while you're there, but it isn't easy to do. The spring doesn't come off, and you have to be careful not to scratch the plastic threads in the process.

Put the pin and gear back in place. Rotate the gear by hand to its stop. You should see it retracting more readily and quite a bit further than it did before the fix.

Now figure out how to put it all back together, and you're done. ;)

glandpuck

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG Pack2
My trunk latch hell ended with diagnosis of a short in the trunk switch in the driver's door. Fault code 00891. Replaced with part 1k0-959-832-b-reh. Make sure your diagnosis is correct as I also replaced my latch mechanism and it did not solve my problem. My switch always worked to open my trunk like it should have and i could not believe the short was so intermittant, but it was. (06 Jetta).

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
I will relate this although my car is a 2004. All of a sudden the sensor for an open trunk gave us trouble. Finally I noticed the lid hinges were stiff. I oiled the hinges over a two day period, and when the hinges were finally lubricated and free to move and free of rust, the lid latched differently. No more issues.

eddif

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
great thread guys - I'm sure I'll be searching for it one day! Last winter the latch on our 06 occasionally wouldn't fasten. Fingers crossed that it doesn't come back!

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Take it to the dealer. 'Should be' a free fix/replacement on the latch.
There was a TSB.