Trump threatens to repeal.....and emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Yes, because anything other than complete agreement with everything the EPA does means you don't like clean air and water.
While you are right in some cases, I have heard too many people call for doing away with it. That is the thought that I was referring to. If you need proof, read threadzilla...Mark

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
I will argue that point. I've been in US manufacturing for almost 40 years and have seen many times when a company chose to not patent. When you file a patent, you have to provide a very high level of detail in order to prove your invention. Once you provide that detail, you also provide your competition ways to work around your patent. Nothing in the patent is iron clad since the war act suspending the Wright Brothers' patent on powered flight.

If VW truely had a game changing engine and emissions system, they may have decided to keep all that technology in house.
Except that Ford and GM, along with the balance of the auto industry, have some very bright engineers. I am not sure how long it would have taken them to figure out what VW had done.

Very sure that they have purchased TDI's off of dealer lots, torn them down, figured out all of the technology, re assembled them, and driven them again.

A patent would give VW a lot of time to market their technology without direct competition.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Even the patent would not have stopped them from (re) engineering something outside of the confines of the patent. It is much easier to plan the trip if you have someone else's road map. I have engineered products around someone else's patent. If the patent weren't there, it would have been a much harder start and much longer development process.

MBfrontier

TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
All good points regarding the ins and outs of patent strategies. In this case no patent application could have been filed detailing how to cheat on U.S. EPA regulations. I agree this is weak circumstantial evidence at best but interesting nonetheless.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
that piece by Chris Collins was memorable, listening to it once again months later still resonates. One of the more memorable moments during this debacle.

Although my field of building maintenance is somewhat different, I can see parallels to when a project is initiated, all the steps in between and how it all ends up in the end.

Our building superintendent foresees all of the projects throughout the building and easily makes the building where I work one of the best managed.

Management is so key to any process.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
I think one more thing to think about politically with the buy back is that if Trump does a massive tax cut and the stimulus does not work, at some point interest rates will rise, perhaps dramatically.

Buying a car when you can get zero or .9 percent on a loan would be much better than paying a much higher interest rate.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Repealing the standards would be just for show, California and a bunch of other states have pretty much the same standards and won't give them up. Nothing much can alter the TDI settlement, the trial lawyers are party too it and they're not about to agree to modify it. About all that might change is the EPAs current stalling of the certification of 2017 model year diesels... After a few months post inauguration Trump's EPA appointees will have found where the executive washroom is and move on to ending the EPA's guerrilla war on diesels and certify the 2017s, and maybe even turn loose the 2015 and 2016 TDIs.
Yep! States rights believers should applaud the states going their way and taking control from the feds even when MORE stringent.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
stopped reading at "Hysteria over greenhouse has emissions has so proven to be scientifically baseless"
I made it as far down as "With all our coal, oil and natural gas, America enjoys practically limitless energy supplies. We can’t possibly use them all" and calling the American Lung Association part of the "anti-business mafia." :rolleyes:

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Please keep the politics out of the site.
agree.
If you can't make a point without citing those two sources, then the point is lost.
Those are highly partisan websites and not helpful to the discussion.
Tsk Tsk. Now YOUR bias is showing. You also have to include CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, NY Times, BBC, NPR, PBS, and more who are ALL highly partisan.

True, unbiased journalism is as rare as the Bald Eagle in Texas.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

If you can't make a point without citing those two sources, then the point is lost.

This thread is nothing but political. I'm surprised it has lasted this long without being locked down but at least we are all being civil.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
X2 to these comments. EPA and Washington has already given CARB too much power and have no idea how to get it back.
And the Federal Government probably won't get it back, since, for the most part, States have the ultimate say so in which laws govern its borders, with the Federal Government acting as an oversight. For instance, marijuana is illegal federally, but many States allow it for recreational or medical use. Even though the Federal standard is vastly different, good luck getting the states to ultimately comply and be equal.

I hope I'm not talking out my butt for having not had the time to post here in nearly a month.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

And which websites are not so highly partisan, or not partisan at all? Good luck coming up with one - you won't.

agree.

Tsk Tsk. Now YOUR bias is showing. You also have to include CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, NY Times, BBC, NPR, PBS, and more who are ALL highly partisan.

True, unbiased journalism is as rare as the Bald Eagle in Texas.
We have bald eagles here in TX!?

This thread is nothing but political. I'm surprised it has lasted this long without being locked down but at least we are all being civil.
I was surprised when it was first started, but yes, for the most part, everyone has been very respectful, which is a nice reprieve from the mud and s**t slinging on the dieselgate threads.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
And the Federal Government probably won't get it back, since, for the most part, States have the ultimate say so in which laws govern its borders, with the Federal Government acting as an oversight. For instance, marijuana is illegal federally, but many States allow it for recreational or medical use. Even though the Federal standard is vastly different, good luck getting the states to ultimately comply and be equal.

I hope I'm not talking out my butt for having not had the time to post here in nearly a month.
Where you been PK? Haven't seen you. The pot thing may change if Sessions becomes AG and our illustrious County Attorney here is calling for that, whether it helps sick people or not...Mark

ChrisB009

Let's remember that many promises are made during campaign time in fact I'd venture that anything would be promised just to get the "chair". He's not official acting as POTUS yet so only time will tell - anything else is purely speculation.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I can't believe how many people don't like clean air and clean water, I can't imagine what your house looks like. Maybe you don't need to worry about yourself, but you should worry for your kids at least. If you live in a state with no people, then maybe the air won't turn black, but don't worry, fracking will contaminate your water, that should make you happy :rolleyes:...Mark
That Super Slug gutless wonder 396 you have is a gross polluter which dirties the air far more than dozens of TDI's. Hope you have it up on blocks!

deuxdiesel

TDI
'12 Golf TDI, 14' Beetle TDI, '16 GTI
Obesity, heart attacks and premature death are results of the good ole' American diet, USA, USA, USA...Mark
But that is the irony of the situation- the boycott is due to anti-conservative values, not health issues. CINO.

Anyways, back to endless waiting for just some scrap of info from VW.....

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
But that is the irony of the situation- the boycott is due to anti-conservative values, not health issues. CINO.
Anyways, back to endless waiting for just some scrap of info from VW.....
I would suggest that people don't push back by eating more of the traditional American diet. it would be like shooting yourself in the foot. Better to donate the money to the company and eat something healthier :D...Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.