Trouble with car inspection

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
New York vehicle inspection system doesn't like my RC5 computer upgrade. They had to resubmit the data 5 times before the inspection was verified. Nothing on the car was wrong. Anyone have this go wrong?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've had issues with stoc ECUs and tuned ones with Oregon DEQ scanners. I think it's something about the ECMs themselves. Sometimes they work first try, sometimes they take a few tries. Not really sure why.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I run a rocketchip tuned ECU in my 04 - no issues in NY so far. All my readiness monitors show OK or N/A - none are "not ready". The computer systems in use are pretty antiquated! I've also seen shops check "gas" instead of "diesel".

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I don't know if they do it over there, but over here they won just look at the readiness monitors, they need the ECM to supply the VIN to their computer, then it'll look at monitors. Almost failed once because it wouldn't connect.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know if they do it over there, but over here they won just look at the readiness monitors, they need the ECM to supply the VIN to their computer, then it'll look at monitors. Almost failed once because it wouldn't connect.
I think it's only the newer years that send the VIN? Can't say for sure. I've been told that the system is supposed to be made smarter so it knows how many monitors a certain car is supposed to have (to catch a "delete" tune), but the inspection system is so far behind I doubt they will. The state just wants the money (shops make almost nothing from doing them).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The VIN being resident in the ECU didn't start being mandatory until later, although some cars (not Volkswagens) had it as early as 2000. My 2004 BHW has it, my 2004 AWM does not. I think they were all supposed to have it by 2005. But I know our system we use will not kick it if it is not found, but WILL kick it if it is different than what was entered via the bar code scanner or manual input (such as if a used ECU was put in but the VIN was not changed or erased).

All ours does is check for it actually being connected, that no MIL request is active, that all the readiness is set, and that RPM is detected (engine needs to be running).

I know we had a lot of trouble with this type of testing years ago when a lot of the tuners' flashes were essentially Euro-spec based, and Europe was not OBD2 at the time. They were EOBD through 2003 I think. That is a pretty old problem by now, but every once in a while I run into it when someone from out of our area that has never been subjected to an OBD test and has an older tune comes in here. Most will just not have ANY readiness even available to look at, because that whole portion of the control programming isn't even there.

Here, and I assume anywhere it is still used, is just for ethereal points to get Federal collected tax dollars... another way we get taxed and get 20 cents on the dollar back :rolleyes: Of course, we here have not had the bad air quality days that prompted the whole thing in the first place, but the EPA still holds us hostage. I'd rather see they just ditch the useless and easily circumvented program and just levy a higher registration fee for older vehicles, and let us keep THAT money collected HERE locally for our own roads and bridges and what not.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Had to look at one of my old inspection receipts from 2008.
My 03 Jetta did give it the Vin.
They scan the bar code (registration or door jam) to check the VIN. In 08 they didn't do plug in OBD inspections on diesels in NY so I'm guessing that's where the info came from? It started around 2011 if I remember correctly?