Trouble getting vehicle records

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I bought my TDI at around 61k about a year ago. After checking around I found out what dealer it was bought from and called them to ask about the records on the car. The service person said that since I wasn't the owner when it was serviced there that they couldn't give me a print-out of the 27 pages of records. Anyone else run into this? I'm kind of thinking that since I'm the current owner that I should be able to obtain these.

I have no reason to question the service history. The car is running fine and all but I'm not even sure if the dealer used the proper oil or did the maintenance correctly.

I did a search and found nothing relating to my question so redirect me of this has been covered.

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
Try Someplace Else

I believe the service records are accessible from any VW Stealership. Maybe try a different one. I have accessed this type of information for other (non-VW) cars in the past, and I did not have to go back to the actual location were the work was perfromed.

Good Luck

HokieGuy

TDI
2012 White/Beige w/Premium DSG
PM your VIN to me - I'll see what I can find...no promises as i haven't ever tried that before...

Oh - I work at a DEALership...

n8ronJ said:
I bought my TDI at around 61k about a year ago. After checking around I found out what dealer it was bought from and called them to ask about the records on the car. The service person said that since I wasn't the owner when it was serviced there that they couldn't give me a print-out of the 27 pages of records. Anyone else run into this? I'm kind of thinking that since I'm the current owner that I should be able to obtain these.

I have no reason to question the service history. The car is running fine and all but I'm not even sure if the dealer used the proper oil or did the maintenance correctly.

I did a search and found nothing relating to my question so redirect me of this has been covered.

macdave

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2004 Jetta Wagon
HokieGuy said:
PM your VIN to me - I'll see what I can find...no promises as i haven't ever tried that before...

Oh - I work at a DEALership...
If you can get any info, I'd like to check mine too. It was serviced at the dealer, but the seller could not remember what was done.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
My local dealer "deleted" the original owner's name from all the service documents they printed for me. They had to delete due to the "privacy act"...even though I knew the previous owner's name, addy, etc.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
After reading much on these boards, the proper oil is a big issue. Using the wrong one could seriously jeopardize the life of my TDI.

I could try to talk to the Ford dealer that I bought the car from... seems like that would be tough to get them to do this for me.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
n8ronJ said:
I could try to talk to the Ford dealer that I bought the car from... seems like that would be tough to get them to do this for me.
I would only ask them if they did an oil change. If they did you can bet it has the wrong oil. Actually I would change the oil if you haven't.