Trips to Mexico and Texas

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I'm in Northern California. I've taken my 2011 JSW (6 sp standard with Malone 2.0 tune) on 3 trips to Mexico and we're getting ready for a trip to Texas. On our trips to Mexico we stop in Palm Springs to hook up with an old navy buddy and caravan down to San Felipe. I cruise down to Palm Springs between 70 and 80 MPH depending on traffic and road conditions and usually get around 38 or 39 MPG. When we cross the border into Mexico and go through the first small town (Mexicali) our speed increases to 90 - 95 MPH to stay up with my navy buddy. I don't really notice an appreciable difference in MPG when increasing my speed in Mexico, but I wasn't really checking my mileage other than just glancing at the dash display. What really surprised me is how comfortable and stable my Sportswagen was at the higher speed, and how easily it maintained that speed.
I've broken the trip to Texas (Ft. Worth) into 3 days so it will be an easy drive. While we have a 2017 Jaguar XE (TDI) we take the VW on trips because it's more comfortable. The VW seats don't have you squirming around after a couple hundred miles, which is what we find in the Jaguar and found in our previous Mercedes. Hats off the VW for a very comfortable, reliable and economic car that's always fun to drive.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I'm sure you know that you should have your DEF filled to the top before you leave for Mexico. I't very difficult to obtain.
As of April 2019 there still was no ULSD available.
Apparently only in the corridor from DF to the border can you get ULSD. Maybe in the Baja as well.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not too worried. I think in 135,000 miles I've only filled it twice, and it gives me quite a few starts after the warning light comes on. I've also read on the internet that if you run out and can't get any that you can pee in the tank. hahaha, I haven't had to try that yet.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've also read on the internet that if you run out and can't get any that you can pee in the tank. hahaha, I haven't had to try that yet.

Funniest I've ever heard :rolleyes:!

But regardless even if that worked how far would you go on 1/2 coffee cup worth.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Pilot, I'd only have to get as far as the nearest truck stop or auto parts store, and I can certainly pee that much.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Pilot, I checked back through my old forum posts and found that it was back about 4 years when I was given that emergency replacement suggestion for an empty DEF tank. At that time I had a Mercedes E 350 Blu Tec (TDI) and it was on the Mercedes Forum where that emergency action was posted. So I guess that would make it even more humorous, to see some guy stopped on the side of the road pissing into the trunk (where the DEF tank filler spout was) of his Mercedes.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just for what it's worth, a friend a few years ago ran into the situation where he desperately needed DEF in Mexico. It took the VW dealer in Manzanillo, Colima 2 weeks to order some in. Nowhere else available.

I carry a 2 gal gas can (I bought new) which I fill with DEF in the USA at a truck stop. I spend 6 months every winter in Mexico.

If the pee method would work, I'd need one hell of a long funnel to reach the DEF filler in the Passat trunk. LOL !

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Oops, I've been asleep at the switch. My JSW does not require DEF! I guess I was thinking about the Jaguar (our 2017 XE is a TDI and requires DEF) or our previous Mercedes E350 Blu Tec which required DEF. So thankfully I don't ever have to worry about peeing in the tank of my JSW, just stopping along side of the road and watering the catcus if nature calls.