Triplex Antenna Cell Phone Connector?

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Alrighty, so I finally received my triplex antenna. Should get the MFD tomorrow.
Now, the question of the hour is: has anyone figured out what the heck that connector is for the cell phone portion? I searched through the old threads, and none of the pictures work, and I can't find any other references to it. Ideas?

- hoffer

20AE0911

checkout www.vwnavi.com. There are some good pics of the antenna and which connectors are for cell, gps and radio. The cell antenna is the grey connector and it is the same as the radio connector. In my install I had to cut that off and had my local Nextel shop terminate a connector that would match up with the standard cell connectors they use. With a 6 m cable the whole setup cost me $40.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
bizarre, that link has an extra trailing dot, and goes to an entirely different site than without the dot.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Thanks, checked it out. I know which connector is the cell phone, I was wondering if I could get around hacking it off. Doing a google search, I was able to find something in a Finnish catalog that might work. Also checking the Euro ETKA, I think I found what might be the OEM cable, but I'm not sure how to source that. It doesn't come up in Impex's part listing.

- hoffer

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
I'm pretty sure it's not either an FME or an SMA fitting. In fact I know it's not SMA, because I have some of those sitting on my desk right here.
It's like nothing I've ever seen before, nor anyone I work with. And in the other threads, no-one has seemed to figure it out either. I think SVTWEB used it in his Bora, but I'm not sure what he did to use.

- hoffer

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
Ok, I've found that it is called a WICLIC connector. Both BMW and VW use them. I have not been able to get any here. If someone is able to find a source I'd like one! If not, they are available in Europe and we could order all together to save on the crazy shipping. Maybe we could ask Chad to get some together?
In the mean time, I just ran a FME ended cable along with the GPS cable so that I could get an adapter in the future and not have to worry about running another cable. So, if someone can find an FME to WICLIC adapter I would be immensely grateful.
Brian

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Well, if someone can post me a better image, or if you'd like to spend some time on rswww.com , if they're available I could order'em...

David

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
OK. It's a male you need, no? I'm guessing that wiclic isn't what the connector standard is called. I've got a couple of thoughts tho...

What's the OD and length of the outer shell, is the centre conductor a pin or a socket, and either way, what size is it?

If you have a Google, you'll see short adaptors and longer extension leads with a wiclic end, but I don't know if either would help much...

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
I figured I'd resurrect this thread since it appears that headway on this triplex antenna cell phone connector is being made. Thanks to the VWNavi forums, I've see this page, which references what they call a RAKU/II to FME adaptor, and it's listed as a VW part number. There are some people in the UK and Australia trying to source it now, we'll see how it goes. Part number is listed as 3B0 035 551, and of course it's not in Impex's database...

- hoffer

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Hoffer,
If you end up ordering one of these from Europe let me know. I would like one and we can split shipping. I'm not in a rush to get one but as long as you are working on it I might as well get one.
Brian
Can I get in on this???...I need the cable/wire/connection for my Triplex also...then we can split the shipping three ways...

Bear

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 2 dr 2003 Mojave Beige, ESP, CWP, Monsoon, 2003.5 console
Hey folks... what happened?

I am interested in putting together a "real-OEM-style" hands free kit using a kuda mount, various VW parts like the triplex and the connector to get it into Monsoon, and maybe even getting a microphone by tracking down an '04 P/N for it from an Onstar car. For the phone side of the kit parts are available for many phones from Cellport.

Thoughts on this one?

One more thing - does the triplex antenna have a booster like a stock '03 antenna. It seems odd that the pix show three signal wires but no power wire???

Oh wait... another concern... my motivation is to get the signal out of the car. It seems like it can't be good to get all that radiation hour after hour. If the triplex turns out to be too much of a PITA then I'll go with a stick-on antenna from Hirschmann. How much does the stick-on really lower rad levels in the car? And can the triplex be amplified to give a full 3W?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Bear,

If you're interested, I've got the OEM microphone for sale. I'm not using it with the handsfree kit that I have.

If you don't have a sunroof, I also have the overhead light with the cut-out for the microphone.

Let me know,

Lito

Bear

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the replies. So it is a self-powered line, cool.

Tongsli: I like the stock microphone idea. I don't have a sunroof. I was hoping it would fit into the fixture that I have already, the dinky little "speaker" holes are there

Other questions/comments: why not use a Telematics antenna, isn't it already setup for 800MHz AMPS & GPS (isn't GPS 1900MHz?)??? Also, regardless of what antenna is used for the cell phone, instead of looking for a special connector to convert to what we want at the antenna end why not just get the factory cable and see what connector is on the end of it. The p/n from vwnavi for the phone cable is #3B 503 555 0 AG as used in the triplex. I do not know if this is the same cable as called out for the Telematics antenna cell phone (Onstar of course in USA).

BTW my cell phone is 800MHz only.

Again if the antenna turns out to be PITA... then I might get a stick-on or in-the-bumper Hirschmann. I like the hidden in-the-bumper idea.

I am having second thoughts about running the cell phone through the Monsoon. What happens if you take a call when the Monsoon is off? Maybe it is better to use a separate buried speaker - plus you could still listen to stuff while talking which could be an advantage especially if you want weather or a traffic report.

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Bear,

If you're interested, I've got the OEM microphone for sale. I'm not using it with the handsfree kit that I have.

If you don't have a sunroof, I also have the overhead light with the cut-out for the microphone.

Let me know,

Lito
Lito,
Where did you get the OEM microphone? I've been trying to get my hands on one of those for a while. I have the W8 sunroof controls, so there is the nice little cuby in there for it to be placed. Currently, I have a Nokia microphone velcroed to the A pilar. It works, but I'd prefer the stealth approach. Let me know if Bear doesn't want it. I'll buy it off of you.

Bear

Veteran Member
TDI
tamorgen go ahead and get it, I can always get one later. I am in no hurry at all to get a hands-free kit installed. My main interest at this point is to get the antenna resolved and then I can worry about the rest later.

Next somewhat related question regarding triplex; can the GPS part of the triplex be run into a Garmin?

Bear

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks tamorgen! Before I dig in though another question.

The telematics wiring diagram shows an amplifier for the phone part of the triplex. Could it be that this is powered the same way as the radio side, by sending voltage up the cable? If so, I'd like to know what voltage to run to get 3W cellular out of the triplex. If this works, I suspect it would be only for 800 MHz TDMA/AMPS though, other frequencies and formats might have to go without amplification, which might not be too good if the signals must go through a powerless amp. Comments?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Okey, how about a laptop? I have seen people going to car pc's and though about doing this. Buuuttt, I want to use the stock ant if I can. Any ideas? Stock triplex straight to pc, triplex to gps unit then pc, or no dice on going to pc?