Triple square bits

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Are the triple square bits unique to VW/Audi?
Could not find them at Harbor Freight.
Order online ? Sears? Snap on? Thanks in advance.

megadan

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5spd
I had to get my set from a MAC Tools truck, couldn't find them ANYWHERE.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Every quality tool company has them, they've been around for decades. Earliest use I know of was in 1968.

Don't get the tamper-proof versions, they are more fragile when used on non tamper proof fasteners as there is no center lug support.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Is this not a torx head...? Sure looks the same.
Similar, however, the triple square head is more comparable to a reversed 12 point socket, it has a bunch of little teeth, whereas a torx, they are spaced apart, and don't have that many teeth.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I too bought the VIM 4 thru 16mm set on line.
I bought my set from Snap-on. Got the 6 piece set for $130..... List price was $202
I might have bought the Snap-On set if I made my living with these tools. However, for my occasional usage the Vim set (under $40) from Amazon works perfectly. I have both the short and the long Vim sets and the total cost was a little more than half of your (good) deal on the Snap-On ones.

Have Fun!

Don

larsbar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I found that a lot of places have them, but cannot identify them. There are a couple places close to me that have them on the racks with all the KD or specialty auto tools, but if you ask for a 12 pt. or triple square the people have no idea what you are talking about.

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
Some places call them a "power bit." I bought a set from O'reilly's, ordered them in the morning and had them when I got off from work that day. Store part # is 16138. This is a 9 piece set for $34.99 The larger sizes have a "tamper resistant" type hole in them. I didnt like this until I realized you actually need this to take out the fill/drain plugs on an 02M 6 speed.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/TTN0/16138/N0760.oap?ck=Search_bits%21s%21star+socket_-1_1249&keyword=bits%21s%21star+socket

mike92105

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI automatic 2015 Passat SEL
Just picked some up from Autozone, there they call them "internal wrench set", paid $12.99 for a set of 4.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
While similar to a 12pt, make sure it is an actual triple square. The differences are subtle.

Lmannyr

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI BRM Manual
Picked up a 4 piece set from AUTOZONE locally. 12 pt. 15 bucks. Worked great for removing the anti-shutter valve.