Trip and Clock reset everytime the car is restarted

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
Car showed up today, and the misses said, the trip and clock have been resetting for a while now.. Car starts fine, clean terminals, battery tests out fine, alternator is charging properly.

I believe it also is causing a bit of "driveablility" issues due to it losing the soft coding everytime the car is turned off. Its sluggish off idle then has normal power as the rpm rises. Should be scanning it tomorrow. But am not expecting to find much if the power is resetting everytime.

Its an 06 DSG, runs

Any thoughts?

sal

bengone1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW GTi 1Z powered. 06 Jetta PD. 01 allroad 6sp
You popped a fuse. Look in the panel to the left of the steering wheel. And the panel under the hood. Don't ask how I know. I did not have any drivability problems.

Ninhydrin

TDI
VW Polo 1.9
I have this exact problem on my car too. It's a 2004 VW 1.9 Polo. I just replaced the alternator though, so I was fairly convinced that's the problem.

I have no driveability issues at all, but twice now when I've parked the car as I've turned the ignition off the radio has gone off suddenly [it normally only turns off when you remove the key], the trip and clock have reset and if I try to turn the car on again without completely removing the key then the alarm goes off. The detailed trip information doesn't reset though and my fuel consumption data et al is still stored.

The car starts perfectly every time, and has also started fine after both incidents.

Just for some additional info: I didn't install the more expensive 'original' alternator, but a lower capacity Bosch alternator. That was about 2 months ago, this only started last week. Also, this is the second alternator I've replaced. The first was under factor warranty when the car was nearly 3 years old, they ordered 3 alternators before they found one that worked!

Bengone1 can you elaborate a little more on your fuse suggestion? Which fuse?

hip001

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL dsg
2nd on the popped a fuse! My passat had same problem. If i recall correctly the radio and 12v power plug and overhead lights were a fuse too.
replaced the fuse/s and all is good!

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Third on the fuses. The fact it's losing the settings means it's losing the constant 12v when the key is off.

I'm not at home so I don't have access to a bently/wiring diagrams (mine's an 05.5 so same as yours), but I would just start pulling and checking. It will only take a few mins.

Just make careful note of where each one goes when you pull it out. I've put fuses back in the wrong holes before and then wondered why my car wouldn't start.

My tip of the day, take a picture of the fuse box with your camera or phone before you do anything. Then you always know what it supposed to look like.

Kyle

bengone1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW GTi 1Z powered. 06 Jetta PD. 01 allroad 6sp
Sorry I can't be of much help I just figured it out and forgot it. My car has incorrect fuse labeling. so I couldn't help you out.