Trim level differences

riggers

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
None of the heated rear seats that I've seen are all three positions. Just the two outer seats. So that middle seat will still be fought over or against.
At this point I'm just praying we get our jeep back next week and this vehicle will just be for when it's only me or me plus one.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
@riggers The 3-series BMW went through LCI (LifeCycle Impulse) - aka mid-model facelift in 2016 model year. Therefore, anything past that is basically the same, with only difference being the year itself. Since F30 LCI, the halogens were gone as base model, replaced by LED headlights. I have base LED headlights, and even IIHS rated them as "POOR". They are not at all bad, compared to Passat's Halogens, but if you have a choice, look for a car with adaptive LEDs or Xenons - they provide much better light output and you will be happier with them, given you drive long distances. Adaptive LEDs will look whiter, but ultimately both Xenons and adaptive LEDs are a way to go.

One pet peeve to consider, there is no spare tire in F30 BMWs. They come with runflat tires as default.

Last edited:

riggers

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
@eugene89us I didn't even consider that it wouldn't have a spare somewhere. It has these features listed: Delay-off headlights, Front fog lights, Fully automatic headlights, LED Headlights

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Yeah, the lack of spare concerns me. I actually ended up replacing my RFTs when they wore out with regular "go flat" Michelins. Original tires lasted around 30K miles. RFTs are rougher on the uneven roads due to firm sidewall. Most trim levels on BMWs have staggered tire setup, with wider tires in the back (due to rear wheel drive car. Even in xDrive, rear wheels are still dominant drivers). Hence tire rotation is out of question! So the fronts will still wear out much quicker than rears, while camber in rears will unevenly wear the inside of the tires. It is just how it was made, to be "sporty." In prior E90 generation and new G generation, the BMW reinstated an option for a spare tire. How nice would it have been if a diesel trim were to return on newest trim cars? Eh, we just have to wait, the higher fuel prices will have folks shopping for economical cars again. If EU prices were to happen here, we'd all be driving diesels.

Anyways, having this BMW since 12/2017, I learned to appreciate a few features. For one, I find blind spot monitoring quite useful. The mirrors on BMW are bigger than Passat, greatly reducing blind spot area. However, blind spot monitoring saved me a few times. I would suggest that the car come with Driver Assistance package, which includes Head-up display, so you can see your speed without taking eyes off the road. My car didn't have too many nice features, but wife's also comes with Speed Limit Assist (a front camera monitors speed limit signs and displays the limit sign on your head up display). That way you never have to ask, what is the speed limit? Even temp speed limits, such as roadwork areas, update the speeds as camera and software recognize temporary road signs. Automatic high beams will also be useful if you drive a lot of "middle of nowehere". And definitely Parking Assistant that will come with sensors to help you avoid hitting things. My wife also has lane assist, which will warn you if you depart your lane - trains you well to use your turn signals, so car does not try to correct you when you do intend to change lanes.

I regret not waiting or special ordering the car with KAFAS camera, since that would enable speed limits, lane assist, auto high beams, etc. Retrofitting this system requires different windshield. So best thing is to order a car with everything you need, retrofitting is more costly than having it come from factory. But I needed a car urgently at a time and it was the closest one (in Dallas dealership, I believe). Local Jackson, MS dealer transported it to me with 9 miles on the odometer. Pretty nice car overall. The only issue it had was with EGR valve sticking, which was replaced under warranty. Join us on BimmerPost forums, in the 3-series section, there is a sub-section for N47/N57 diesel subforum. You will see all issues or complaints people have with diesels. And main forum for all other things. It is always good to browse these before you decide on the car. The BMW has a much more solid turbocharger than a Passat and a redesigned HPFP. Bad fuel causes HPFP to "implode" - although BMW is not immune, Bosch updated the pump with more hefty roller which is less likely to fail. But most failures of HPFP have been linked to diesel contaminated with water. Sometimes just have to wish upon a star when you refuel. My local Kroger thus far has taken good care of my dieseling needs. Good luck!

riggers

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
This vehicle lists driver assistance package. I've decided to go ahead and get the 2017 Wagon I listed above. And when microchips become available again, I will be ordering a 2021 Tahoe Diesel with the exact package I want. I found some I can get now but for $80k I'd like it to have useful features and not $10k in color options.

Thanks for the tip on the bimmerpost forum. Lots of useful reading there.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I didn't know that GM was offering the Tahoe with a diesel. I've heard good things about the new 6 cyl diesel from chevy but think that most are waiting for the shoe to drop. Good luck.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
prob way better than the Equinox 4 pot 1.6 diesel they killed off.

I just can't stand the new Tahoe with the IRS, it's lower control arms no higher than say a Gen 1 Buick Rendezvous, I swear our Alltrack has more ground clearance than that full size Tahoe. (okay I checked Alltrack is about 1" shorter)

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I just remember Mazda did launch the CX-5 with a diesel engine. No clue how these are, good or bad.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure a full framed full sized pickup-based SUV with a 3.0L I6 is much of a comparison to a compact car-based CUV with a 1.6L I4. And I very much doubt ground clearance is of any concern to 99% of anyone who buys a Tahoe... new IRS or not. GM is sort of late to that game, anyway. Ford graced their Expedition with it a decade ago. Nissan did, too. Pretty sure Toyota is changed, too, but I've not yet been under one. I know the Fords for sure ride a LOT nicer with it.

The cost of the diesel engine option is going to limit a great deal of its popularity.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Surprisingly, the diesel upcharge on the Tahoe is only about $1200 - 1500. Kind of like the old days at VW.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I just remember Mazda did launch the CX-5 with a diesel engine. No clue how these are, good or bad.
Seeing as I work for Mazda, I may have some insight....

So the diesel engine in the CX-5 is fairly decent. However, the diesel engine was never really marketed, so no one ever knew it existed. Plus it was only available in the $42,000 top trim level which is an absolutely boneheaded move. Lastly, there was absolutely no benefit to the diesel over the gas engine as it got just about the same mpg as the gas equivalent. Fortunately it was only sold 1 year. And I've only seen one come through my dealership.