Trim level differences

riggers

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SE, SEL Premium and DSG SEL Premium

What are the differences other than the leather vs leatherette? Google doesn't seem to be real clear. My 2015 Jeep Ecodiesel broke down last weekend on a recall and I will be without it for months. I'm trying to purchase a 2014 TDI Passat until it gets done. (they're replacing the entire engine and cooling system) and parts are on long backorder.

I don't really care for the SEL leather. I like the chrome trim but I suppose I could add that myself once purchased.

What else is different that google doesn't seem to acknowledge?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In the SEL you get Fender audio, wood veneer, power passenger seat (I don't think the SE has those), Nav, remote start, heated seats (again, not sure if the SE has those), 18" instead of 17" wheels, auto headlights, and probably some other stuff I can't recall.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First, there are not likely to be any MANual 2012-14 Passats, due to Dieselgate, so they'll all be somewhat tarted up with the TDI engine regardless. Not sure of the exact trim levels, but the main "options" on a '14 Passat TDI SEL are going to be keyless start, Fender sound system, leather w/ wood accents. The meat and potatoes of the car is all the same. There were no "stripper" TDI Passats, unfortunately, and the least equipped ones were largely crushed.... also quite unfortunately.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I believe you are right Indigo, I have an SE, but even the SEL I doubt has real leather seats, it has something like suede, but I don't think it's real.

In my SE I do have heated seats, and auto headlights but not sure if that was an added option. I think NAV was an option for SE.

SEL should also have auto wipers with rain sensing, I think.

oilhammer

TDI
Can't help but note the irony here. Jeep broken down, no parts available, so let's buy a CKRA Passat... which probably has 100 examples parked behind dealers all over the place doing the same thing.... waiting on unavailable parts. :D

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Can't help but note the irony here. Jeep broken down, no parts available, so let's buy a CKRA Passat... which probably has 100 examples parked behind dealers all over the place doing the same thing.... waiting on unavailable parts. :D
So true...to the OP, better look at a 2015 with the CVCA engine

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
IndigoBlueWagon said:
In the SEL you get Fender audio, wood veneer, power passenger seat (I don't think the SE has those), Nav, remote start, heated seats (again, not sure if the SE has those), 18" instead of 17" wheels, auto headlights, and probably some other stuff I can't recall.
I believe you are right Indigo, I have an SE, but even the SEL I doubt has real leather seats, it has something like suede, but I don't think it's real.

In my SE I do have heated seats, and auto headlights but not sure if that was an added option. I think NAV was an option for SE.

SEL should also have auto wipers with rain sensing, I think.
The SEL does have real leather with Dynamica ("suede") inserts. Heated seats and auto headlights were standard equipment on all NMS Passat TDI's. SE with Sunroof & Nav was a trim level, so Navigation was not exclusive to SEL's. Though, it was the RNS315, not the RNS510 which came only on the SEL. As well as the 18" bristol wheels. Not exclusive to SEL.

riggers

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
So true...to the OP, better look at a 2015 with the CVCA engine
But the 2015 requires DEF, right? Apparently ALL vehicles in the US are having problems getting parts because Rona production issues. I only drive diesels. I tried twice to buy a Diesel Tahoe but they kept getting sold while I was on the phone and then I found out my Jeep was getting a brand new engine for free and decided I didn't need 2 SUVs anyway. I could maybe consider an Audi, Jag, or Beamer. Feel free to make other suggestions.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
But the 2015 requires DEF, right? Apparently ALL vehicles in the US are having problems getting parts because Rona production issues. I only drive diesels. I tried twice to buy a Diesel Tahoe but they kept getting sold while I was on the phone and then I found out my Jeep was getting a brand new engine for free and decided I didn't need 2 SUVs anyway. I could maybe consider an Audi, Jag, or Beamer. Feel free to make other suggestions.
All Passat 2012-2015 use DEF. What's the problem with DEF?

Only some 2016 TDI sold. Touareg and some Audi, I forget which ones.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Let me see if I remember this correctly, all the way to 2014 Jetta, Golf, NB and GSW use just DPF, but in 2015 all of them changed to SCR and hence DEF.

Audi A3 perhaps stayed with a pre-SCR engine. The way I saw it, when faced with the choice of upgrading I preferred everything including SCR.

I'm talking cars sold in US/Canada.

oilhammer

TDI
SCR is great if it is working correctly.

The A3 got the new engine family (and SCR) in 2015. They also switched us from the neat Sportback to the homely sedan that year.

All of the V6s use SCR.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey, the OP is considering an even homelier NMS Passat, so the 2015 A3 would be super cool by comparison.

If I wasn't a cheap bastard I would have gone with a 2015 A3, there is one in Autotrader with 52k miles for $16,774, but then again that is about $6k more what I paid for my Passat....ah, yes I also wanted manual trans, and no sunroof if possible.

oilhammer

TDI
I think I'd rather have the NMS. The styling of the A3 sedan is like the A4 and A6, but the proportions seem wrong to me. I cannot put my finger on it, but I do not like them. The Sportback was much better looking to me. I guess if you really wanted what the original Jetta was, a Golf with a trunk, the Audi A3 would be the ticket, as it is still on the same platform as its contemporary Golf cousin. Audi never played the cheapened NCS/NMS game. So looks aside, which is subjective I know, the A3 is still a "real" Volkswagen.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait, what? I thought no 2016 diesels were ever produced....
Produced? They were produced/shipped and waiting at dealerships when the whole Dieselgate blew up. Only very few were allowed to be sold later on. I believe most got shipped back, or to other countries.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's really nice. I nearly bought one of those new in '18, but BMWs depreciate too fast to buy new, as you can see by that car's price. That was probably a $50K car new. I think they're nice as long as you're up for handling the typical BMW issues. I won't get one without a CPO or extended warranty, or both.

riggers

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Are there any differences between the sedan and wagon other than spacial?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Are there any differences between the sedan and wagon other than spacial?
Is that for BMW, Audi, VW?

Also, different generations create differences (apologies for the redundant construct): an MKVI Jetta Sportswagen has independent rear suspension, while an MKVII Golf Sportswagen does not. NMS Passat has IRS, I believe MKII Golf too has IRS.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
There is other fundamental questions like:

1. Do you care about manual or auto trans?
2. Do you want all the bells and whistles on interactive tech: Android Auto/Carplay (heck even wireless flavors of those); lane assist; auto parking; auto braking.....?
3. What's your budget?

You did say diesel is a must, what about other musts? Once you make that clear, the field will narrow considerably.

For me manual trans is an absolute not negotiable, then cost, then size. I wanted to spend in the ballpark of $12k, but always less is better, didn't care about millage, did care about when was the 2nd part Dieselgate fix performed (there is a website for that), no sunroof given the choice as they are always clogging and other issues.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, I needed to stay with VW group, as I now can fix these cars myself.
I own VCDS and have all the tools I need for changing a clutch, an alternator pulley, winding back the rear calipers, and more.

Also, I have the support of all these people here. Some of which are active in other VW forums and know a whole lot more than I do...that adds tremendous value!

riggers

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Musts: diesel. I like bells and whistles that give comfort. (heated seats including rear, not breaking down and being stranded). Leather (preferably dark). Prefer automatic. Rear vents are MANDATORY. Remote start.

Dislikes-cars that turn off when I stop, SUVs with non-opening back glass. I've always disliked the cheap leather in my Jeep and the fact that there are no knobs to control the a/c in it. The suspension of the Jeep isn't great either. Vehicles that turn off if I leave them running too long.

I wanted to avoid DEF but I guess that's a foregone conclusion now. Part of me is thinking of going WAY BACK to an Excursion but I'm getting my Jeep back and I feel like my second vehicle should be smaller than the Jeep, not larger.

When comparing my Jetta to the Passats I've been looking at, I actually preferred the full leather seat of the 13 Jetta to the suede like center of the 14 Passats.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
...I like bells and whistles that give comfort. (heated seats including rear, not breaking down and being stranded). Leather (preferably dark). Prefer automatic. Rear vents are MANDATORY. Remote start...
I think you are talking later years Audi, there are A8L TDI (these are very rare), also A3 as discussed, Q5 and perhaps Q7. Maybe other people can help you better here, as I am not that well versed with Audi.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=573619887

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Audi sold two A3s here, the 2009-2014 Sportback (all automatic, all FWD), then the 2015 A3 sedan, also all automatic and FWD.

Then they sold the A6, A7, A8, Q5, and Q7 TDIs here...all automatic, all AWD, with the 3.0L V6. The Q5 is based on the Audi A4. The A6 and A7 are mechanically similar, they share some components. The A7 is essentially a fastback sporty looking version of the A6. The A8 is the big sled, and is an amazing car to drive, no matter what engine it has. The Q7 is different than the others, rolls on a stretched platform shared with the Volkswagen Touareg and Porsche Cayenne, both of which are also available with the V6 TDI (the Cayenne is tuned slightly different, and I think boasts 10hp more).

The Audi A4 and A5 (the A5 is a coupe version of the A4) were coming in 2017 to the US, Dieselgate stopped that. It is a shame, too, because they were also to get the V6 and that would have been one heck of a rocket... right now the best power-to-weight ratio TDI we got is the Q5. And they scoot. It would have been awesome to get the superior handling of the A4 with that powertrain! The TT TDI was also coming, too, but those would have been the 4 cyl like the other transverse applications.

Dieselgate really sucked on so many levels.

riggers

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
So, 14 Passat TDI SEL Premium does NOT have heated rear seats and steering wheel?

oilhammer

TDI
I didn't think ANY NMS Passats had heated REAR seats and STEERING WHEEL. It is a very basic price point platform, made for the American market, which is why they are so big yet cost less than their predecessors. I think they weigh less, too.