Transverse vs longitudinal pd blocks

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk4, touareg 2.5, octavia 2.0 8v, boats x2
Looking to replace the asz pd130 8v in my jetboat with a 16v, as a jacketed exhaust manifold is a whole lot easier to make without the inlet manifold in the way. Wanting to stick with pd which leaves a BKD so far as I can see in the transverse offerings. Have seen conflicting information regarding whether the blocks on transverse and longitudinal engines are the same. Everything relating to the head will be custom but wanting to reuse my engine mounts and flywheel. Can anyone confirm whether I could be looking at longitudinal engines too?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
You're probably not going to get much info on these motors here. In general you'll find the blocks are very universal as far and the mounting points go. I would say if you find a block that has what you need as far as sensor locations and other things it needs to run with your current set up the mounting will be little to no problem.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Good news, Volkswagen already made one.

064-121-201

Although they may be difficult to source, and would of course mean you'd need a bunch of other things.

There was a guy selling used VAG Marine engines complete somewhere, though. Ringpower was the north American retailer for a time. They may still have some contacts.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline

nztdi1

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk4, touareg 2.5, octavia 2.0 8v, boats x2
Thanks for that guys, pretty heavy and way out of my price range though! I have another boat with a twin cam tdi which I made a manifold for they're easy compared to the 8v. Think it's worth doing the swap