Transplanting a Cooling Fan Blade?

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Hi

Does anyone know how to transfer the cooling fan blade from one motor to another on a 2000 Jetta?

My original motor is burnt out and the replacement motor has a broken blade.

Thanks

GD

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
can't happen... The blades don't come off, they BREAK off...

However, you can often repair the motor.

The fan motor's end cap is swedged on. There are chisel notches on the body of the motor. Use a cold chisel and knock the swedged metal back to allow the end plate to be removed. You might need a file to complete the de-swedging operation.

What you will usually find is that the motor brushes have gotten stuck into their holders. The heat from the burning contacts further afix the brushes.

Clean the armature and brush assembly. Use a good grade electrical grease on the brush holder and reassemble. Reswedge the end plate.

I've had more success than failure putting them back together like that.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Franko6 said:
can't happen... The blades don't come off, they BREAK off...

However, you can often repair the motor.

The fan motor's end cap is swedged on. There are chisel notches on the body of the motor. Use a cold chisel and knock the swedged metal back to allow the end plate to be removed. You might need a file to complete the de-swedging operation.

What you will usually find is that the motor brushes have gotten stuck into their holders. The heat from the burning contacts further afix the brushes.

Clean the armature and brush assembly. Use a good grade electrical grease on the brush holder and reassemble. Reswedge the end plate.

I've had more success than failure putting them back together like that.
Thanks, motor was burnt out due to the spring near the coil snaping and all the carbon brush mounting area seized up and melted making it irrepairable. Someone was selling me a used motor but witha broken blade that I was hoping to transfer over.