Transmission

Kie

TDI
Passat SEL 2014
Hi guys!
So, i just got this car for couple months and have been using for a while and loved it!
I have a question about whenever I put my car on D sometimes it will take like one or two sec to move. Wondering is this something need to worry or it normal for the DSG transmission?

Thank you!

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Not normal. The lag is much less than a second in my car. Was the transmission serviced every 40K like it was supposed to? Start there.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sometimes the 02Es can benefit from running a Basic Setting routine in the M-unit. Specifically the clutch portion. Remember, it isn't a conventional automatic with a fluid-drive hydrokinetic torque converter between the engine and transmission. It has a stacked (multi-disc) wet clutch set (two sets in parallel, one for even gears, one for odd). So it "engages" when to take off more like a conventional manual transmission's single dry disc clutch. Only instead of your left foot doing the work, a duty cycled solenoid allowing fluid to engage the requested clutch set is.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have a 2015 with the stage 1 emission fix, and the DSG mapping sucks compared to my late 2013, its delayed and smashes pre selection gear changes so hard I can here them- sounds like a teen trying to learn a 5 speed without a clutch. I suggest a DSG tune

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I would suspect dirty fluid and or filter from skipped dsg service. Might be good idea to service it with quality fluid.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I have a 2015 with the stage 1 emission fix, and the DSG mapping sucks compared to my late 2013, its delayed and smashes pre selection gear changes so hard I can here them- sounds like a teen trying to learn a 5 speed without a clutch. I suggest a DSG tune

Well part of the emissions fix involves coding the DSG and allowing it to grab a lower gear instead of peak the EGTs and roll through the torque curve.

Also with the DSG when holding the brake pedal there's almost two detents, one fully depressed the DSG will disengage completely, then if you lift off a little but the brakes are still holding you stopped you'll see the RPMs peak up a little bit, this when it's starting to grab the clutches in prep for taking off.

If you go from full brake peddle to applying throttle (two foot method) yeah there's some delay as it aligns things and engages the clutches. is it 2 full seconds, no does it "feel" like 2 seconds but is in fact .5 seconds or so?

GregSimon

TDI
2.0 105 kW DSG DQ250
What engine works with DSG? As DSG is robotized gearbox and working in pair with turbo engine - it may have some delays, because the turbo compressor require to spin up to a certain speed. But in any case, the delay should not be too perceptible.

oilhammer

TDI
There are DSGs used with gas (both turbo and non) and diesel engines. That has nothing to do with anything related to the gearbox.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
these tiny turbos (1.8t and TD) and people still spouting off turbo lag as a thing,

oilhammer

TDI
Both my AWM and BHW Passats have noticeable turbo lag. It isn't awful, and it is made worse simply from the automatic transmissions, the curb weight of the car, and the volume of the B5's giant long charge air tract. But it is there, and you don't often realize just how much it is there until you drive the same car with the ATQ engine, which moves off the line IMMEDIATELY, even if it doesn't have the same "kick" once moving.

Manual cars, DSG cars, don't seem nearly as noticeable, if at all really. And none of them are like some older cars (my W126 300SD had turbo lag you could measure with a sundial).

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Not normal. The lag is much less than a second in my car. Was the transmission serviced every 40K like it was supposed to? Start there.
Let us not forget that this COULD also be the "hill hold assist" doing its thing preventing the car from moving.

So it could be completely normal.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
^ That is a good observation, I did not think of that. The original poster says "whenever I put my car on D sometimes it will take like one or two sec to move." I take that to mean all the time, regardless of incline. If this lag is occurring on flat terrain, then something is not right.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If this lag is occurring on flat terrain, then something is not right.
Ideally it would only happen on hilly terrain, but there are many accounts on Vortex of it holding even on flat terrain. I had it happen on my 2013 Passat and that's what led me to research how to disabling it. It was holding so long that there would be a 5 car gap in front of me at a green light before it released.

Disabling that crap was one of the first things I have done on every modern Vw I have owned.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, I had not heard about that. It also has not happened (yet) in my car. What was involved with disabling "hill hold assist"?