Transmission with marbles in a can

SilverWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I got two quotes today for labor to switch out a clutch assembly. Both shop said they would do it for $400. A Sachs clutch costs about $480. The total is going to be less than just the labor charge Volkswagen is asking .

Tomorrow I'm taking it to a shops and we are going to try to determine what is wrong before we start dissecting. I also have an issue with this car generating excess heat below the center console and vents. I told the same shop I'm taking the car to tomorrow about it and they said that a rattling noise I'm hearing could be broken cat issue. I don't know if Volkswagen considered that when it was up on the rack but we're going to take a look tomorrow and bang on the cat.

Last edited:

SilverWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
If it has an internal problem in the gearbox itself, draining and examining the fluid will determine that much. Manuals rarely have stuff break inside them without sending a bunch of metal particles into the fluid.
Your description does not help much, but the typical manifestations of a bad DMF on a manual car are bad vibration, especially at idle (they can almost feel like the engine has a dead cylinder), and/or bad rattles at idle, bad chatter on takeoff upon releasing the clutch pedal...often FELT in the clutch pedal, as well as difficulty changing gears or engaging a gear unless the engine is shut off.
If you are sitting still, with the engine running, transmission in neutral, is there any noise or vibration? If you press the clutch in, do you feel anything abnormal? With the clutch depressed, engine still at idle, vehicle not moving, can you engage any and all gears? Any changes when you do? When you engage a gear with the engine running but the car not moving, NOTHING inside the transmission is spinning or moving or doing anything. Because the wheels ---> output shaft ---> input shaft are all locked together. The only thing moving at that point is the flywheel itself, and the pressure plate. The disc is also not moving, as it is rigidly attached via the splines to the input shaft.
I can engage into every gear. There are no abnormal vibration when shifting into gears. At neutral when I go into gear there's nothing abnormal when the cars not moving. I'm not 100% sure that it's the transmission. All I get is a rattle in a can sound when I'm coasting in first or second gear. When I accelerate there seems to be a faint rattle but I can't say for sure because it its so faint it could just be engine noise.

Another problem that I have with the vehicle is that I get, what I feel, excess heat coming from the center console floor and vents. I told the shop I'm taking the car tomorrow about this and they said that the rattle could be a broken cat.

I've taken the car in once to Volkswagen about the excessive Heat. They told me they couldn't find anything and it was normal. Since this is the only 2015 Golf I've ever driven I went with their assessment.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
So has this guy found a new dealer that’s competent yet? Or is he still shopping around to pay for a drivetrain issue that would be covered under warranty? Not sure why this thread is going on three pages.

MK7’s blow warm air, even on cold, that’s a known “issue”. Just turn on the AC or deal with it. The HVAC air intake is right next to all the hot stuff inside your engine.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well good news is, if you keep driving it around from place to place trying to find the cheapest guess, it will eventually break and there will be no more need for guessing! :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
lose heat shield or failing transmission, such a tough thing to determine.

Yeah if you don't want the heat out the vents, turn on the AC or turn off the fans, nothing you can do about it, welcome to the mk7 features.

SilverWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
The noise you're describing sounds more like loose pieces in the bell housing; not anything inside the trany proper which is oil-filled. Other posters here have experienced damage to this trany's steel syncros soon after changing to a single mass flywheel so proceed with caution.
I went to a mechanic friend's shop today and we took it for a test drive. We were barely able to reproduce the sound but what we did here he thinks it is something in the bellhousing that's come loose.

The noise I'm hearing today sounds like BBs in a tin can.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Well good news is, if you keep driving it around from place to place trying to find the cheapest guess, it will eventually break and there will be no more need for guessing! :)
This...^^^^^^^^^

SilverWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Any update on this?
I haven't had the time to take the car into I mechanic. The sound has gotten a little bit louder but the transmission seems to be functioning fine. I did some searching the other day and found this link. I know they are talking about the R but it's possible that it's the heat shielding. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/heat-shield-vibration.349810/

Yesterday I did an oil change on my car but I didn't have time to fully inspect underneath.