• Transmission not replaced.

Votes: 63 75.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Given all the TC/transmission failures recently, and the sticky request by PGOES, I though it would be a good idea to start a poll showing the actual number of failures of Transmissions or Torque Converters.

Also post miles at failure and any details about transmission service performed.

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
My transmission failed at 134,000 miles.

Fluid/filter changes were done at approximately 65k and 118k.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
tc replaced at 72k miles. fluid and filter changed at 67k, since tc changed, shifts are more positive 2-3 3-4. the shifts were unchanged after the trans service, but greatly improved after the tc replacement

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW, I'm thinking the transmission issues have affected less than 10% of Passat owners with the TC errors twice as likely as complete failures.

I don't think this is any smoking gun like the BSM issues, but It does seem to be more prevalent than Cam failures.

pgoes

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat wagon, 2004.5, Stonehenge gray
Thanks for starting this poll- I wanted to do the same.

I'm voting "TC code and tranny replaced" even tho I haven't yet replaced the transmission- I'm not fully decided that its worth it to keep this car.

I had not flushed the tranny fluid previously, but IMHO this just should not happen to any car with only 100k miles.

This issue needs as much attention as the BS upgrade has gotten on this board. I'm sure I'm not the only person who pre-emptively 'went chain-less' with the expectation that I'd have a solid car for another 100K miles, only to have the OTHER major component under the hood go bad.

Some very smart people here analyzed the BS issue and isolated the engineering fault. But from what I've read in the forum there's no consensus on why these transmissions are suddenly failing. My mechanic says that the TC seal problem alone should not cause such a sudden failure. But other members in other threads describe similar sudden events. I'm not a mechanic, but I hope the mechanics here who figured out the BS problem can research this one too.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
My car has 181K on it, I completely flushed everything including the TC, took 13 litres , replaced filter, and gaskets. I wonder if former owner ever changed it, rather doubt it from the terrible looking mess that came out. No metal shaving onthe magnets however, so I hope I'm good for another 181K ;) ?????

alvajaalni

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon GL TDI, 202K, United Gray/Gray Leatherette
2005 Passat wagon. Transmission replaced around 169K after code. No prior transmission issues and the original fluid was never changed.

diesel crazy

TDI
Passat TDI 2005
2005 Passat PO741 code around 98,000 miles soon after BSM module change and tranny flush. I had just bought the car and the dealer covered it under their three month 3000 mile warranty. I am sure it only needed the TC but they changed the whole transamission.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
it might have been good to add two criteria: whether the service history of the trans is or is not known, such as a second or third owner, it would probably be unknown

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
somehow the numbers don't make sense...15 trans not replaced, 3 tc's replaced?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've noticed over the past few months that several tc's have failed 4k-5k miles after trans has been serviced, perhaps a coincidence.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the thread title posted by johnboy00 is transmission failures, not nonfailures

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Title of the thread is Transmission TC Poll to record both failures and non-failures.

Of course this is non scientific. Typically, I'd expect more people with failures to post.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Title of the thread is Transmission TC Poll to record both failures and non-failures.

Of course this is non scientific. Typically, I'd expect more people with failures to post.
I could only vote once (for my wagon). Our Passat sedan (daughter's) had a trans failure at 106,000, but not related to the TC code.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I realized that after I started the poll. I should have set it allow multiple choices for those masochist type people, like yourself, who can handle more than one Passat.;)

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Given all the TC/transmission failures recently, and the sticky request by PGOES, I though it would be a good idea to start a poll showing the actual number of failures of Transmissions or Torque Converters.

Also post miles at failure and any details about transmission service performed.
You forgot one category on the poll. No issues with transmission or TC.

I have had no issue with both Passats.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I realized that after I started the poll. I should have set it allow multiple choices for those masochist type people, like yourself, who can handle more than one Passat.;)

Considering I have had absolutely ZERO issues with these cars, there is nothing masochistic about owning two of them. :)

Actually the BEST cars I have had in a long time.

You must remember only a small percentage of the owners are actually on here, so a small sample.

Most people come to this site when they HAVE issues so it biases any interpretation of issues as a blanket statement.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.....:D

As we know, once you fix about a half dozen engineering faults and time bombs, these cars are pretty solid performers.;)

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Considering I have had absolutely ZERO issues with these cars, there is nothing masochistic about owning two of them. :)

Actually the BEST cars I have had in a long time.

You must remember only a small percentage of the owners are actually on here, so a small sample.

Most people come to this site when they HAVE issues so it biases any interpretation of issues as a blanket statement.

The little wink ;) is the don't take me too seriously emoticon, at least in my opinion. I'm not complaining about about these at all. I'm just collecting some data which may or may not be useful.

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
What am I missing here? Choice 4 is transmission not replaced.:confused:
Since I had no issues, I skimmed the ENTIRE list looking for the "no issues" choice.

I read that option to mean I could have had TC issues and not replaced the Transmission.

Sorry, I am techy so I read literally, not into the words and this did not follow normal logic for Multiple choice questions.

There should always be the default, "none of the above."

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
While I do not necesarily like the poll options (and did not vote), my own car has had no issues at all related to this.

However, in the last year or so I have replaced about 6 converters (not all of them behind BHWs, mind you) for this DTC with a 100% success rate, just as the TSB says.

I have only ever replaced ONE of the 5HP-19FL transmissions behind a BHW, and it had no prior DTC for TC. The other 5HP-19FLA I replaced in an Audi A4 quattro also had no TC issue prior, and that is the only other 5HP-19FL I have ever replaced. I have also replaced a handful of the 5HP-19 that BMW uses, one in a Jaguar, and one of the 5HP-22 units in a bigger V8 Audi.

vwtom

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE
I've noticed over the past few months that several tc's have failed 4k-5k miles after trans has been serviced, perhaps a coincidence.
My dealer told me that failures often occur after service. I have yet to touch my transmission after 128m miles. I would like to get data from VW engineers regarding the recommendation of how to treat these trannys with high miles.