Transmission/Shifter periodically can't move into any forward gears

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Periodically the shifter locks up, not allowing me to move the stick into any forward gear, reverse seems to work when this happens (so maybe there is something that is not linked to reverse but just forward gears).

A few times it has gotten stuck in a gear (not any one gear in particular).

When it isn't being allowed to move into any gear I usually have the clutch pedal pressed down, and when I let it back up I hear a slight 'thunk' and then it allows the shifter to move into all gears.

Although the time couple times it got stuck in a gear, letting the clutch pedal back up and back down did not let it out of gear right away. And the clutch appears to completely disengage, the RPMs fall off, and no engagement is felt when I press in the clutch pedal.

Background:
- Peloquin LSD was put in at Fixum Haus, 20k miles ago, I'm sure the transmission fluid would have been flushed, and Rich said they replaced the linkage while they had the tranny out.

- I have adjusted the linkage on top of the transmission, following diesel geek's youtube video for adjustment.

Any ideas what the 'thunk' is or what would lock out moving either into or out of forward gears?

My hunch is the slave cylinder could be going out.. but I really don't know

Last edited:

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
*Update*

So I readjusted the linkage, just to be sure, replaced the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave, and did a transmission flush. . Still having the issue of getting locked out of or locked into gears.

When I get locked out and pump te clutch a few times, I eventually hear a *thunk* sound and then I can move into a gear.

I'm thinking what ever the the clutch slave connects to might be the issue. But not sure if that's it and not something to do with the shifter tower/bearing because I just tried to shift it manually (by hand) by moving into the gears by moving the shifter tower on top of the transmission and am having the same problem, not letting me go into gears.

Would this kit from idparts help?: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=340567

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: