transmission removal in RI

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Okay so i've got it all unbolted but be it the heat - my rusty wrenching skilz or what - sum***** isn't coming out.

You see on the 2nd the car stopped/locked up. throw out bearing like noise for a bit leads me to believe something there went kaboom. and locked it all up. Of course well, maybe something worse happened.

Timing belt still seems to be intact so i'm crossing my fingers with the clutch/TO bearing. (that and there are no rods sticking out of the front of the engine).

I'm just wondering if any one who's done this tranny removal in a 96 passat is around with nothing to do :rolleyes: on a beautiful day than come over to my house and maybe help with the tranny extraction...

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't coming out i.e. it's frozen to the block, or isn't coming out because you can't get it twisted the right way to drop it ?
um the second :confused: :mad:

passenger side flange is still attached (didn't see the fine print that it might need to be removed until too late), oh and I'm trying to get it out with the driveshaft (driver's side) still in the hub.

of course it seems to be hanging up on those two things.

to remove the flange i have to re-attach the driver's side shaft it seems, and then take that shaft off and then pull the ball joint off to make some room...

and i'm working w/o a tranny jack

recipe for disaster? maybe, recipe for frustration? absolutely

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oh and it could just be the starter only that locked it up not a blown T/O bearing so i'm going to have the starter tested and I might just bolt everything back up rather than take it out right now - or try to take it all the way out. chalk it up to learning...

lets see if i can bench a transmission today (beer provided if anyone feels like spectating/helping)