Transmission removal in a B4

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
So yeah I did it. And unlike the old GeWilli with the golf i took ZERO pictures. Sorry.

But.

I will add a few notes about how to get that transmission out easily. I more or less used this as my guide because i couldn't find my B4 cd (just found it here at the office - lot of good it did me here).

First when you think the throw out bearing explodes and locks the car up and you think jams the starter in place...

Take the starter out before you do anything else. It may just be the starter.

Mine was but I had everything else off and anytime I go up a hill or get into the torque it smells like I've just driven past a burnt toast factory, and the throw out bearing had been squeaking for a while.

So anyway.

I tried taking it off with the driver's side shaft still in, and the passenger side differential flange attached, and the motor mount extension that is held on with three bolts.

Those three need to come out if you want this transmission to drop out of there without any problem.

Really actually it came out pretty easily. There were two of us, my brother from the top and me under neath, no tranny jack.

Once you take all the stuff off, the flange comes off pretty easily. Thread two of the CV bolts into the flange with the pass side drive shaft up out of the way (car needs to be lifted on jacks, not on ramps btw - found that the hard way to get clearance to access the flange bolt). So you get two bolts in there - orient it so you can stick the back side of a 1/2" drive ratchet there and then use a smaller size ratchet to get the 6mm bolt out. Not a ton of torque so don't worry about the bolts.

But there isn't clearance to get the flange off until you take the transmission off the engine. (that took a while to figure out).

So with the flange off, and the driver's side drive shaft off (take that off before you unbolt the transmission btw), then get the transmission stuck against the wheel well and take the three bolts that holds the hunk of metal that sits on the transmission motor mount. Kind of a pain to get off but they come off.

With all that off - well boom what do you know. The transmission comes right off. Just make sure to have a 9mm 12 point socket to take the clutch off.

I did not have a scissor jack and didn't use it. I also just used a Herm-O-hanger or whatever the wood engine support hanger is being called now days.

Does anyone have a decent degreasing recommendation for cleaning up a filthy transmission? While it is out and I'm waiting for parts, well might as well have a nice clean thing to install.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
super clean, a power washer and a some brushes will make it look ultra clean. coat it with some pentrating oil afterwards so it doesn't oxidize.