Transmission Rebuild Shops

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
Can anyone suggest a transmission shop that rebuilds manual transmissions in the southeast ? GA, SC, FL, TN, AL, NC is all ok.

Thanks.

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
I've taken off the cable ends and manually tried to force the selector "dog" into the 2nd gear position with no luck. Just doesn't want to engage into that position. The other gear pop right in. The only thing I can think of is the shaft of that selector is somehow damaged. Is there an easy way to pull it out and check it ???

I'm thinking if anyone in the Southeast does tranny rebuilds for VW's, I can take it down to them to get it rebuild. That, or pay 5000+ for a new one, or about $1500 for one with 100K+ miles on it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can buy a new (reman, which may actually BE new) from Volkswagen for $2k.

The part number is 0A4-300-045-X.

However, you may be able to fix yours, but I'm not sure what is wrong.

Passat'n Adventure

TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon - Deleted and 5 speeded '15 Passat SEL P
Can anyone suggest a transmission shop that rebuilds manual transmissions in the southeast ? GA, SC, FL, TN, AL, NC is all ok.

Thanks.
Did you ever find a shop? I am on the east side of Georgia - and I just pulled pieces of synchro out of the bottom of my transmission. I am hoping I can find a good shop to work on a FHN for a B5.5 - 5 speed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.....

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Cheapest most practical solution is to go to car-part.com and get a grade A low miles factory original used trans and run it. Trans rebuilds have a horrible failure rate. MUCH higher than good used transmissions. Ask me how I know that.

Passat'n Adventure

TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon - Deleted and 5 speeded '15 Passat SEL P
Cheapest most practical solution is to go to car-part.com and get a grade A low miles factory original used trans and run it. Trans rebuilds have a horrible failure rate. MUCH higher than good used transmissions. Ask me how I know that.
Thank you for the response - I reached out to vwtipz and sent him pictures of the pieces (of synchros we think....) I pulled out of the transmission drain hole after draining it. He converted my ride from auto to 5 speed sourced from Europe 210K miles ago. Turns out he had the same conclusion as you did - just get a replacement unit and bolt it in.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
I've done 50 or more. Not one problem. Get a good one. Low miles. Ck the bearings you can from outside. New lube...maybe new diff flange seals and go!