Transmission problem

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Of course you could convert to a manual and have a more dependable and fun car and increase the value at the same time. You would be talking the same or less money.
That's the route I'm hoping to go, proactively. I'm starting to look for a shop to do the work. If anybody knows of a shop in Quebec or southeastern Ontario capable of a 5-sp manual conversion, please PM me.

ludwigmace

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, BHW 5spd, TDT Stage 1; 2006 Jetta Sedan BRM, 5spd, Stage 1 Tune
We've got about 210k (I think) on our wagon. Transmission started to slip a while back and has slowly gotten worse but it still drives like a dream. We're getting a 5 spd put in next week and I can't wait. I get exactly the car I want with less maintenance down the road for way less than the cost of a new comparable car.

Speaking of a new comparable car, if there does exist (in the US) a brand new 5 speed diesel wagon with a huge interior that drives like a dream, please let me know. Maybe there's a $40k Audi out there?

To each his own. I can definitely understand the reluctance to drop that much cash on an 8-9 year old car. I love not having a car payment and just addressing problems on a paid-off car when they come up, so long as those costs don't outstrip the ownership of a brand new car.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
You will think you have a brand new 9 year old car when you switch! Have fun ;)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
maybe drive across the bridge or get one shipped from dealer in the States

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The Ambassador Bridge gives you a nice view of the Detroit River. I used to live in Detroit and buy my Labatts Blue in Windsor. For about $1200 less, I would take the short drive and pick up a trans at a local VW dealer (and maybe pick up a case of Stroh's dark).

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
***Update***

Finally got my car back last week. So here is a summary of what happened;

1. Got the used tranny from BC to the tranny shop here in my city(138K crashed car)
2. Tranny shop found the fly wheel flex plate was gone (the rivets in the inner assembly sheared off)
3. Ordered a used one from junk yard.

Total bill was $2800 installed.

The tranny guy told me that ZF units are not that good... looking at the fly wheel design, I agree with him.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Finally got my car back last week. So here is a summary of what happened;
1. Got the used tranny from BC to the tranny shop here in my city(138K crashed car)
2. Tranny shop found the fly wheel flex plate was gone (the rivets in the inner assembly sheared off)
3. Ordered a used one from junk yard.
Total bill was $2800 installed.
The tranny guy told me that ZF units are not that good... looking at the fly wheel design, I agree with him.
Well, how does it run?