Transmission or clutch?

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Manual, 05 Passat
Today I just had my trans go out on me and need some input.

About 4 months ago I lost 5th gear it will only shift into 5th if I perfectly match the rpm. Not a problem since I moved an do not do much driving on the HW.

Today when getting off the HW my car stalls when the I come to a stop with the clutch pushed in. After that it will not go into 1st unless I turn off the car and put it in 1st then start to get moving.

I called several shops and no one actually rebuilds or will touch a manual trans. Finally I got a tech that asked me what was happening and I told him what is going on. He believes that it is the fly wheel and or clutch, if it was the trans they usually just replace it.

What are your thoughts should I just have the clutch and flywheel replaced or go with a new trans.

The trans is original to the car and has 398,xxx mi.
I have a new single mass Flywheel and clutch I purchased about a year ago sitting in the basement.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Is the Clutch disc/Pressure plate/DMF original too?

If so, I'd suspect that they are what's at issue, as well as the throw-out bearing being shot.

Assuming the above is correct, your tranny probably needs an oil change.... if no improvement with 5th gear, then replace it!

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
likely you clutch not fully disengaged, so when engine running you wouldn't engaged any gears. first make sure clutch hydraulic system not leaking. it could be release fork, throw out bearing, pressure plate. for my 2002 Jetta TDI at 220kmi clutch went out. same it will not engaged any gears but R gear with grind, turned out it is TO bearing disintegrity and send a piece of metal inside the pressure plate so make clutch disc not fully disengaged. good luck!

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
The PO of my car had the flywheel snap in half and what you're describing seems to be the exact description that the PO of my car gave to the dealership. They ended upreplacing the trans the flywheel the clutch the pressure plate, all of that.

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the Clutch disc/Pressure plate/DMF original too?
Yes it is original unless the first owner replaced it in the first 130K.
I changed the fluid about 2 years ago.

Since I got my truck running I might try to replace the clutch/flywheel an throw out bearing myself.

I have the clutch and single mass flywheel already.

Where is recommended to buy the other parts for the trans.

Thanks.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
There is nothing inside the transmission that will do what you describe. Slight chance of a master/slave cylinder problem, but almost guaranteed that the trans needs to come out for a flywheel or throwout arm replacement (do the whole "Kit" and replace the arm and pivot ball)

What weight flywheel did you choose? Hopefully it's close to stock weight (21lbs). Someone on the facebook forums was talked into a ultra lightweight (under 10lbs) flywheel and had to pull everything back out because it was unusable.

idparts.com has everything including the bolts that are recommended to be replaced.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Today I just had my trans go out on me and need some input.
About 4 months ago I lost 5th gear it will only shift into 5th if I perfectly match the rpm. .
Try pulling the center console and checking the bushing. It's on the side and has been an issue in every VW I have ever worked on. Diesel geek sells the gear getter and will last the life of the vehicle. I just replaced mine.
The dual mass flywheel likes to cause this too, it comes apart and doesn't allow the pressure to release. I installed a single mass myself.

Last edited:

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
Slight chance of a master/slave cylinder problem, but almost guaranteed that the trans needs to come out for a flywheel or throwout arm replacement (do the whole "Kit" and replace the arm and pivot ball)

What weight flywheel did you choose?

idparts.com has everything including the bolts that are recommended to be replaced.
Complete Clutch Conversion Kit (A4) sachs quiet clutch from IdParts is what I bought. I will look at there parts for the throwout kit since the trans will be out might as well save time by fixing it before it becomes a problem.

Edit: The complete kit includes:
SMF Conversion Clutch Kit w/ Pressure Plate & Single-Mass Flywheel
High Quality throwout bearing
Clutch Release Lever/Fork
Clutch Release Lever Clip
Clutch Release Lever Ball Pin Pivot
Full set of 12 Inner CV Joint/Axle Bolts
Clutch Installation Bolt Set for Transmission Mount
Clutch Alignment Tool

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Complete Clutch Conversion Kit (A4) sachs quiet clutch from IdParts is what I bought. I will look at there parts for the throwout kit since the trans will be out might as well save time by fixing it before it becomes a problem.

Clutch Alignment Tool
Looks great!!! I now always replace the pivot ball/clip and throwout arm after having 2 come in with each broken. I honestly don't replace the CV joint bolts, but i do with all the mounting bolts.

About the only thing I could add would be 2 liters of trans fluid - you won't necessarily need it or lose any, but if it hasn't been done in the last 100k, that'd be a good time.

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks great!!! I now always replace the pivot ball/clip and throwout arm after having 2 come in with each broken.
I'm looking for that part but I do not see it on IDparts, kermatdi or dieselgeek. Where are you finding the parts? I will also be replacing all my mounts as they are shot.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
You had it in your list above:
"Clutch Release Lever Clip"
"Clutch Release Lever Ball Pin Pivot"
Ok I was thinking you were talking about the leaver and little finger that push the throwout bearing. I know some people have had the little finger break, I figured I would replace that when I had it apart.

But thanks for the input I'm glad that I have almost all the parts needed to fix it on hand. It looks like I just need trans fluid, motor and trans mounts, and an engine lift.

Now on to seeing if I can fit the golf in the basement to work on it after the little one is asleep.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon

Clutch Alignment Tool
If you got the whole kit then it should all be there but the brake fluid.
Check that dang bushing or you might end up with a new clutch that still won't go into 1st or 5th!
Don't Think For a Second that little thing can't stop it from going into First and second, or fifth.
Its the bushing that if it goes away you'll never in a million find a way to get it into 5th gear if the cables are adjusted to go into 1st. the side to side bushing.
https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...-gear-getter-for-vw-mk4-golf-jetta-new-beetle

Just get one if you don't already have it installed and install it as well as the clutch.

I'm not saying the clutch plate is good, probably is shot, but so is that bushing!

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Ok I was thinking you were talking about the leaver and little finger that push the throwout bearing. I know some people have had the little finger break, I figured I would replace that when I had it apart.

But thanks for the input I'm glad that I have almost all the parts needed to fix it on hand. It looks like I just need trans fluid, motor and trans mounts, and an engine lift.

Now on to seeing if I can fit the golf in the basement to work on it after the little one is asleep.
It's not little! its about four inches wide and as long as the pressure plate. It bends and can't depress the pressure plate springs to remove the pressure. Not as common as the ball that it sits on and the spring that holds it there to need replacing.

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
The clutch has been replaced but I still do not have 5th. When I shift to 5th it will just rev like there is no gear.

Also when I select 5th the shifter gets stuck and does not want to move out of its gate, I have to wiggle it into 3rd to get it to let me select any other gear. I adjusted the cables with no change.

The shifter in the cabin was replaced about 2yrs ago but I do not think the bushings under it for the cables were.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Check both of the bushings under the shifter handle (the cable ends). I've had 2 2001's have different issues with shifting, and both were those bushings worn out. One wouldn't get reverse, and one wouldn't get 5th. I cut vacuum hose and used it, and it lasts suprisingly long as a bushing.

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks I will check them and probably just get the bushing kit from dieselgeek and the super slider.

I just noticed last night the shift weight seems to wobble a bit is that normal? It is almost like the nut that holds it in place moved up a thread.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Cant say thats normal. I'd pull the weight off and have a look at the splines. Or maybe the nut is just loose. I'd still remove it and look at the splines for peace of mind.