Transmission Oil Leak at VW Cap

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
Had this leak about 40K miles, but just keep an eye on the trans oil level and add if needed. It doesn't leak much, but always looks like this when I take of the belly pan. Do I need to pull it off and re-apply silicone gasket sealer? It doesn't seem to be coming from the fill plug or anywhere else.
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

DirtyDzl28

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I've noticed the same leak on mine recently. It's only a small drop or 2 on the cap. I'll probably do something about it if it gets worse. Interested to see how you make out if you try some rtv or something on it.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Mine looks like that too. Was debating trying some form of permatex on it.

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not going to pull it until I hear some feedback from more experienced people. Not sure why it's there since there is a drain and fill already, but maybe something for assembly?

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I didn't get a clear answer from a vw tech either. All I was told is there is no gasket type seal, it is put on with a "transmission sealant"

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
Had this leak about 40K miles, but just keep an eye on the trans oil level and add if needed. It doesn't leak much, but always looks like this when I take of the belly pan. Do I need to pull it off and re-apply silicone gasket sealer? It doesn't seem to be coming from the fill plug or anywhere else.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Does anyone know what this cover is for?
If I take mine off to reseal it, am I going to have any parts fall out?

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone? Mine is leaking worse now. 201K miles

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Try snugging down the bolts slightly. If they are tight, don't tighten them any more.

--Nate

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
had similar "leak" on my tranny, turned out to be overfilled differential case by dealer and was running down looking like a underside leak. double check to make sure its not coming from somewhere else, if its not I would be worried a little

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
It would be nice to view the parts diagram of the transaxle to see what is under the "VW" cover. Is the gasket replaceable? What is the cover for?

--Nate

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
had similar "leak" on my tranny, turned out to be overfilled differential case by dealer and was running down looking like a underside leak. double check to make sure its not coming from somewhere else, if its not I would be worried a little

I filled it myself several years ago when I replaced the 5th gear and put in the VW oil. A few years later is when I started to notice the leak.