Transmission Issues.

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
For the last 3 winters, we have been having problems with my car and reverse. When cold and placed in reverse, the car acts as if it is in neutral and does not enguage. The reverse lights come on but again it will not go in. This happens only when the car is cold. When warm the transmission works flawlessly.

This year it is the worse I've ever seen it. It seems when the temperature dips below a certain value the symptoms start. If it is not freezing out, the car works fine.

By not going into reverse I do not mean the car is grinding or anything like that, it just will not go into reverse. No hard jolts or anything. (I find if the car is somewhat warm, moving the shifter between park, neutral and reverse a few times makes the car go into gear

Also we noticed the vehicle once and a while go hard into 3rd or 4th gear under heavy load, but it is a minimal problem.

Again this is three years in a row this problem has surfaced and it has now become so bad, it is a danger to myself and the others in my car.

The car is a 01 jetta auto and is still on the original fluid. I want to start small and try to change the "lifetime" fluid and filter before I look at transmission rebuilding.

Anyone have any idea on what I should do about this?

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thadude said:
The car is a 01 jetta auto and is still on the original fluid. I want to start small and try to change the "lifetime" fluid and filter before I look at transmission rebuilding.
From what I've read around here, forget that livetime stuff. Get it changed. As to the rest of it, you will have to wait for someone who knows more about slushboxes than me. You might want to post on the A-4 forum.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes, the first thing to do is drain the fluid, replace the filter, and refill. The refill procedure requires use of VAG-COM or equivalent to read the fluid temperature. This is all explained in a procedure that has been posted.

It does sound like your's is presently just a bit low on fluid. The fluid expands quite a bit as it warms up and this can account for the differences between warm and cold performance. This needs to be corrected or it will hasten wear of the internal parts. You should have attended to this 3 winters ago.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Many people have recommended changing the automatic transmission fluid and filter at around 100,000 miles (~160,000 km) - although some people say to change it at 60,000 km...

That would be a good first step... you need access to a Vag-Com or equivalent to check the transmission temperature while filling...

Read the following:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=288070

Yuri.

PS: the A4 forum has had recent reports of 2002 transmissions going bad lately...

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
We were told when this first happened ( 3 years ago) that it may be a valve sticking, that was the response from the forums. Nobody around here will touch auto trannys and I am not taking it to a dealer if I can get around it. I was hoping to change the fluid at a GTG here some time, but again time is not on my side with work.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
OK, I'm going to throw thi sinto the ring:

1 - change the fluid - now. ;)
2 - sounds to me, as mentioned above, like it's low on fluid - grab your manual and check that puppy out today. ;)
3 - it's unlikely we'd be able to do a full tranny fluid swap at our usual GTG's in Halifax, because it's pretty messing, and we've got nowhere to keep the old stuff.

I'm not speaking for Jeff on this one, but we tend towards the "cleaner" jobs if that makes any sense.

Anyway - the main point is get the fluid swapped and topped up as the first step - you might just find that cures it.

PS - don't put your faith in advice form the forums - quite honestly, 99% of us are NOT mechanics, and even if we were, posting online is not an accurate way to diagnose a situation.

Heck, right now I'm going to suggest you top the whole shebang up with eggnog and beer - that'll fix 'er. ;) ...oh, and some duct tape!

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 6spd, 2010, Blue
Thadude said:
For the last 3 winters, we have been having problems with my car and reverse. When cold and placed in reverse, the car acts as if it is in neutral and does not enguage. The reverse lights come on but again it will not go in. This happens only when the car is cold. When warm the transmission works flawlessly.
Mine & several others on this forum have had this same experience, and the outcome was not good. When you change the fluid look for metal dust/chunks. I just dropped $3K on a rebuild sad to say. Hope you luck is better.

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
She's Fubar

gone with the wind is the tranny, the fluid change made no difference, and there was metal particulate around the magnet...... damn, that being said we made the decision to sell the car to the dealer and go with a 2004 Jetta TDI 5 spd.

Thanks all for your help with the car (you know who you are)

I'm going to salvage what ever I can from the car, (coolant heater, 5 brake light wires, skid plate) and try to put them on the new one..

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Thadude said:
gone with the wind is the tranny, the fluid change made no difference, and there was metal particulate around the magnet...... damn, that being said we made the decision to sell the car to the dealer and go with a 2004 Jetta TDI 5 spd.

Thanks all for your help with the car (you know who you are)

I'm going to salvage what ever I can from the car, (coolant heater, 5 brake light wires, skid plate) and try to put them on the new one..
Le us know if we can help...

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
This is a sad story :( I hope mine doesn't do this anytime soon. Mine's just had the regurlar black grey buildup of crud on the magnet the last two changes thanfully but it makes me wonder with what you read on here all the time.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
...and let us know what you'd doing with the computer from the 2001. Be a shame to see that underappreciated by the next owner...especially when some of us have .205s waiting for a chipping. :)

I wonder if it'll work in a 2001 Golf...? Hmmmmm...

Best of luck with the newer car. :) Swing by a GTG if you get the chance.