Transmission Installation

elcamino73

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5 speed
I finally got the trans out and new clutch/flywheel installed. Can't seem to get the trans back in; what tricks, etc do you use to get the 5-speed manual trans back in?

I'm about to remove the RH output shaft and try to slide on w/ transfer case at bottom then rotate, but if that doesn't work I'll need y'alls help!

Please post your tips, tricks, etc while I try and get this bugger in!

oldblacksmoker

TDI
1999 jetta tdi, 2005.5 brm
Are you having trouble getting the input shaft to line up in the clutch? You need an alignment tool or lots of luck if that's the case.

elcamino73

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5 speed
Are you having trouble getting the input shaft to line up in the clutch? You need an alignment tool or lots of luck if that's the case.
Nope; clutch came pre-assembled. I'm having trouble getting the trans into position to mate up with engine. Transfer case seems to be in the way :/

WDNM

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI BRM w/ manual
I am about to drop my tranny to replace a clutch and am worried about getting it back together also. Are you using a tranny jack? How are you supporting the engine? You wanted answers but all I got's questions.:)

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Have you checked your dowel pins? make sure nothing is out of place. What exactly do you mean by your clutch being pre assembled? Getting all the trans hardware to line up can be tedious at times but sometimes the splines don't line up so you have to wiggle it in. Always use a clutch alignment tool! A $3 tool can save you a lot of hassle.

Bambaataa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta BRM 6MT; '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI GSW
Drain the tranny, remove the axle flange (from gearbox) on the passenger side.