• Server migration complete
    In the early morning of September 26, 2020, our migration to new servers was completed.
    Things seem to be working as expected, but if you notice any issues including not receiving email notifications,
    please vistit this thread for more details

Transmission fluid question for alh!!

OhCdn

TDI
2002 Golf MK4
hey guys this is probably a weird one but I can get my hands on oem transmission fluid but my question is it worth going back to oem or go with pennzoil syncromesh. Now the reason being im putting decent torque numbers down wondering if the stock fluid still preforms better then pennzoil in my situation... thanks guys:)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think either would be fine, but it probably depends more on how you drive the car than the peak torque you're making. I used to run Redline MT90 when I used my car on the track because the transmission would get hot.

Recently I drove my Wagon 700 miles in 80+ degree weather without shutting it off (did stop a couple times but left it idling). When I finally got off the highway the transmission was noticeably harder to shift. I have OE fluid in it right now. Synchromesh may well have been the same. My car makes decent torque numbers, too, but this was all highway cruising.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I have a stock car but do a decent amount of towing.

I did a tranny flush at 150k miles with OEM G60 I noticed a about 200k that mine was getting harder to shift in the cold, Especially in <20 F. Very hard to row the gears. I switched as 225k miles to syncromesh (got it at the GM dealership). It was alot smoother shifting and the hard shifting is almost gone. <-10 you can feel it get stiff but we only have a few days a year like that.

I know have 340k miles on it on the same fluid. Its starting to get notchy but im not sure whether is syncro wear or needs new fluid.

I dont think switching to syncromesh will cause negative affects.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
After approximately 100,000 miles using BG Syncro Shift II I wanted some overall improvement so my research lead me to going with this formula:

I used the new Redline MT-LV fluid mixed 50/50 with Superlight Shockproof.

One of the TDI gurus recomends mixing the factory 02J fluid with Superlight Shockproof so that is also an an option.

The Superlight Shockproof really improved the notchiness with higher mileage gearboxes. It was very noticeable.
My TDI specialst did the transmission fluid change in my manual five speed 2004 Passat in May 2020 and so far I am very satisfied (it took closer to three quarts total). The shifting feels more solid overall in this summer and I get easier into first gear which was, at times, difficult to get into for some reason. More of the discussion in this thread.

OhCdn

TDI
2002 Golf MK4
I think either would be fine, but it probably depends more on how you drive the car than the peak torque you're making. I used to run Redline MT90 when I used my car on the track because the transmission would get hot.

Recently I drove my Wagon 700 miles in 80+ degree weather without shutting it off (did stop a couple times but left it idling). When I finally got off the highway the transmission was noticeably harder to shift. I have OE fluid in it right now. Synchromesh may well have been the same. My car makes decent torque numbers, too, but this was all highway cruising.
man thats what I'm dealing with right now thats why I wanna change it I ordered oem to see what happens and will go to syncromesh if need be, got off the highway lastnight and barley could put it in to gear, but when i just drive normaly its fine also 5th is hard to get into making me think its low on oil or the oil is just garbage by now will see how it goes tomorrow when the oil comes in...

Hawkins2015

TDI
01 Jetta , 00 Jetta
Not saying that is an "approved" fluid, but I have got over 40,000 miles on the Lucus synthetic 75w-90.

Kind of just threw it in there to see what it would do, and replace if needed with a synrcomesh. But shifting was immediately smoother and still no problems.

Will change again at 300,000 with the same stuff and see what happens.