Transmission cover leak

WantingaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 03 TDI
The transmission cover on my MKIV Golf is leaking. I touched it with a screw driver and created a very pronounced hole. Is this common and, where can we replace the transmission cover cheaply? I found this for 70 from IDI parts:

Brett San Diego

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta wagon manual
You can probably find one on ebay pretty cheap. You'll want the gasket, too. Change it yourself. Five 10 mm bolts. 7 ft/lbs. Looks removable without having to move the transmisson, but I'm not 100% sure. I've just rebuilt my 02J, but I don't have it back in to see what clearances are like for removal of the cover. From your pic, it looks doable. You'll probalby have to unbolt the power steering hose retainer so you can move it out of the way.

You don't have to drain the transmission. The 5th gear compartment that this cover encases does not have a lower port into the main galley of the transmission, so all the gear oil sitting below the level of the ports into the 5th gear compartment will stay in the transmission housing (which will be all or nearly all of it).

Brett

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah try a salvage yard , and it can be changed while in the car with no issues.
I’d also replace the fluid with fresh oil while in there . If you do , make sure you can remove the fill plug first before you drain it.

Gvr

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Alh Golf Mk4 Wagon
I would also recommend you replace the gear oil if it hasn't been done in a while, it looks pretty dirty.
You could also fill through the speedometer gear hole, 22 mm nut, should come easy as it is plastic. Pour in 2 liters of gear oil and call it a job..

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
You could also fill through the speedometer gear hole, 22 mm nut, should come easy as it is plastic. Pour in 2 liters of gear oil and call it a job..
Damn….. never thought of that ! Nice .

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - totally agree! I've always hated the "fill until you start spilling" methodology - definitely gonna go that route next time.

As for the cover - it's the same on a 02J for TDI as a 02J for gasser; so if you have a scrapyard nearby with any VWs, you don't have to be fussy about what engine it's mated to.