Transmission Bearing Noise - 06 Jetta

CraigKnisley

TDI
2006 jetta
I have a 2006 Jetta that makes a growling noise between 60mph and 70mph, only when under load.

- Not engine speed related. Does it in 4th or 5th at same vehicle speed.
- Goes away if taken out of gear, or on downhill.
- Doesn't change in pitch if I turn side-side (I don't think it is a wheel bearing)

I thought that it was a CV joint, and replaced that axle, but there is no change.

I did a search and it seemed to lead me to think that it is a differential bearing, however, I didn't find any movement when I pried between the output flanges and the transmission case.

Has anyone had any experience with similar symptoms?

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I started hearing something in similar situation as you. (5th gear under load)

I do not know what it is yet.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
One thing to check, is the fluid level. Obviously, it might be too late as the bearing is toast. VoA changed the process to load the trans fluid. If the original method was followed, the level is too low. There are a few threads that state that this starts to show up in the 5th gear area.

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Mine was changed last year buy a trusted TDi mechanic.

CraigKnisley

TDI
2006 jetta
Will check the fluid level, though I understand that I can only do this by draining it an measuring how much comes out!

I suppose the inspection interval on the gearbox oil is less than 8.5 years?

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously > 2006 Jetta TDI BRM 5MT [Silver], 2000 Jetta TDI ALH 5MT [Blue] , 2005.5 Jetta BRM DSG [Grey]
did you replace both driveshafts?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Details on your car? DSG or 5 speed?

I started to hear something similar. almost like driving on notched side of asphalt freeway notches. shows up close to 70 under accel, and modulates similar to lane line marking. (perhaps the lane line stripes reflect the noise better)

at first I thought it was some kind of tire tread noise.

can you provide the links to the bearing discussion you found?

thanks

CraigKnisley

TDI
2006 jetta
Sorry, it's a 5 speed too. It sounds like a tire noise! It did not change at all when I took the winter tires off and put the summers on, so I was able to scratch that from the list.

Driveline noises are tricky!

KY_TDIguy

TDI
2006 1.9 brm
I have a 2006 Jetta that makes a growling noise between 60mph and 70mph, only when under load.

- Not engine speed related. Does it in 4th or 5th at same vehicle speed.
- Goes away if taken out of gear, or on downhill.
- Doesn't change in pitch if I turn side-side (I don't think it is a wheel bearing)

I thought that it was a CV joint, and replaced that axle, but there is no change.

I did a search and it seemed to lead me to think that it is a differential bearing, however, I didn't find any movement when I pried between the output flanges and the transmission case.

Has anyone had any experience with similar symptoms?
Same issues here in my 06. I also can grab my driver side CV and shake it. Tried to shake the passenger side and it was plenty stiff. I replaced the driver side CV and noticed I still have play when I rock the tire from left to right and it makes that clunk/ bad bearing sound. Guess I'll replace the diff bearings and let you know if it solved the problem.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
If it only occurs under load, I believe it must be related to the CV joints.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I’ve had good luck with the GSP axels from rockauto. Make sure and replace the bolts with new triple square bolts.