Transmission AFT/Filter Change

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Thinking of doing the Transmission and Gear Oil on both my Passats.
No I don't think the ATF is lifetime. I know others feel it is.

Dealer Prices don't excite me.

About 2.3 Hrs Labor at $95/hour
Transmission Pan Gasket $46.20
Seal at Transmission Filter $28.33
Transmission Filter $69.35
Audi Gear Oil $27.77
6 liters Audi Amber AFT Fluid $111

So $309.65 in parts + labor $218.50 = $528.15

Not too exciting - So I'm thinking of doing it myself and buying the parts on line.

One sticking point is I need a device to get the transmission fluid to temperature to get the fill level correct.

Also , is Audi Amber AFT the right ATF Fluid for these 2004- 2005 Passat Diesels?

What is the cheapest way to do this though Ross Tec?

If Ross Tec is going to be around $250 for the basics I'm wondering if there is there a cheaper scan tool you have found that will read my Transmisson Fluid Temp?

Blair

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
You can buy a non contact infrared temperature scanner at Harbor Freight for not much money. A ball parkish temperature reading should be adequate.
Personally, I would do a drain and fill, drive it a bit, then drop the pan. That way you would have 75%+ fresh fluid when you're done.
German Auto Parts has Maxxus ATF with the correct PN for $10/L.
Someone else will chime in with better advice.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Blair:

I am changing mine this weekend if it is nice weather. I bought a kit from Aaron at Bora Parts for ~ $100.00 that includes a gasket, filter, seal, and ~6 liters of Pentosin transmission fluid.

http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=332

I have a VCDS system so I am set but you may be able to approximate it. Or is there someone nearby with a scan tool?

Last edited:

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Tony, Truman & ( LeicaMan on private message source) - Well I was assuming to get to the parts for roughly half the dealer prices. You guys got me down to about one third. Thanks for that.

I though about the infa - red reader but with two expensive transmissions I fear a reading from outside the metal pan might actually be different than the reading from a probe insulated from outside cooler air deep inside the oil pan. Who knows, maybe the exterior of the oil pan may read cooler than the probe insided the pan bathed in the oil and more insulated from the cool air that the exterior of the pan wall gets? Then my fill might lean to the low side and then again - yeah I know - I probably overthinking this one to death. Maybe I should break down just buy something from Vag-Com I just didn't know if Ross Tec offers something more basic for perhaps $100 to get me though this stage or is the starter set $250ish.

Even the instructions seem to have a fudge factor - where I read - " shut engine off before you reach the target temperature." I mean, what is the ' before' shut off point - 5 degrees before you reach the target ?----15 degrees before target temp ? I assume they are anticipating a heat rise and prefer a cooler temperature which would tend to a slight overfill versus a slight underfill, but it would be nice if the instructions I read were a little more specific on ' My Turbo Diesel.com" Whats wrong with a perfect oil fill level versus overfilled?

What is a good starter set to buy at Ross Tec for a guy with and aging Windows XP Lap Top and due for the next Windows system in about a year?

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You don't need the CAN bus cable with the Passats. I have a KII USB setup from my old 2002 Golf that works just fine with the Passat. I'm not up on the Ross Tech pricing but last time I checked, the cables were $250.

The temp for the trans filling is pretty loose at 10 degree spread. One thing you could do is drain it at room temp, measure how much came out, and refill with the same amount. That would get you very close.

I could mail you my cable to use if you wanted to try it first. Just download the software and load it on your laptop. I use Windows XP and it works like a charm. Then mail it back later.

But in the long run, having one of the cables is very useful. Plus, if you leave VW, you can sell it.

Tony

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
when you have the pan off, fashion a wire hook for your filling tube. I used a squeeze bulb in line pump and pumped fluid directly out of the qt container. exactly 6.5 qts. again, most aftermarket filter/gasket kits come with a rubber gasket, oem gasket is far better. don't forget to open up old filter to check for anything other than normal silt. after replacing the pan, fill, run for a few minutes to get up to correct temp, then complete fill after shifting through forward/ reverse a few times. you have then changed 6.5 of the 9 qts. if you feel particularly anal, you could change just the fluid after a thou miles so that the percentage of original fluid will be even less. you will feel good about getting the accumulated stuff out of there and the fresh fluid/ filter may have a noticeable difference in how it shifts. when you are scrubbing the pan, you'll see why the so called fluid exchange machines cannot possibly clean anything.

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
TS - Am I missing something here, how are you replacing 9 qts of ATF by dropping the pan? You cannot drain the torque converter and other passages within the tranny by dropping the pan and you really cannot overfill the way it is designed. Unless I am missing something you have about 3 quarts of ATF still in the tranny that gets mixed with the 6+quarts of new fluid by draining and refilling. ...and yes, 6 quarts (or liters) of fresh ATF mixed in has to be far better than 100% of high-mileage fluid.

EDIT: Ignore this post! ...edit is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
not replacing 9 qts just the 6.5 that you can. the 2.5 in the tc stay there.

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Oilhammer,

13 Liters, when others talk about 6 liters- how do you do it ? Only other thing I can think of is dropping the two lines to the ATF cooler but thinking that's not going to be that much. Do you start the car for a short period and let the tranny pump squirt out the rest or do you have one of those fancy tranny flushing machines?

Blair

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
OilHammer - too bad you don't live in CT.

Tony, thanks for the offer on the Ross Tec Cable, but it's probably time I fish or cut bait with Ross Tec myself or do your trick of letting both the old tranny fluid in the car and new tranny fluid in the bottles both sit in my garage - maybe overnight- so they both get to the same temperature - drain - measure the drain and refill the to the same amount.

If OilHammer is getting 13 liters on his fancy flush machine - I guess I'll be flushing twice - what a pain with floor jacks. Up and down twice with two Passats.

ThunderShorts....do you rememeber the web site that sold you the in line rubber squeeze ball that allowed you to fill the AFT - and how slow was that squeeze ball ?
Does the Squeeze Ball filler come with the little ' hook' at the end of the line?

Blair

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Tony,

I like it.
Just wondering if that 1/2" Red section at the end of the tube is?
Looks like that pump for the West System Expoxy they sell at the marina too....good idea.

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Tony,

I like it.
Just wondering if that 1/2" Red section at the end of the tube is?
Looks like that pump for the West System Expoxy they sell at the marina too....good idea.

Blair
Blair: the end is set up for a marine application and I just cut it off and pieced in a clear hose long enough to use. I'd have to look at the end I cut off but it is 'somewhere" in the garage.:rolleyes:

From the ad: "4 cc Pump and 3/8"-16 swivel metal marine filler fitting."

The pump works fine in a quart bottle. I believe the Pentosin jugs are wide mouth and you will have to transfer the fluid into a standard motor oil container to use the pump. Just make sure everything is clean getting started.

Last edited:

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, Tony....

ok,

Now we are down to the gear box oil. Had my Wagon done at 30k. The guy did the Tranny and the gear oil. Dunno how key it is with the gear oil but does anyone know where the gear box is and if it is also needs to be at a certain temp on the refill of is it just the typical fill to overflow port? Must not be too popular bacause I don't seen them advertise the gear oil and seals for the drain and fill plug in a convienient kit like the do with the ATF.

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Changing the differential case oil is not that important as the ATF. I think you can just drain it and refill it and it only takes a small amount (of different type gear oil). I don't have a Bentley so I can't look it up.:(

I've never done it and don't plan to. But that's just me.:)