Tranny Went

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Well, on my way home tonight my tranny started acting up. First it acted like the torque converter wouldn't lockup. Then awhile later it started slipping in 5th gear. When I finally got off the interstate at my exit it just quit moving at the end of the ramp.

There is definitely some fluid leaking because the underside is wet and fluid had dripped on the tow truck's bed.

Well, it's off to the shop tomorrow.:(

TheGrove

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Well, not really. I have 93K on the car. When I bought the car from Tomo it had 40K on it so I knew the warranty was about out. So for my peace of mind I did puchase an extended warranty from Chris (I think that is his name) at Langhorn VW. We'll see how it works out.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
TheGrove said:
Well, not really. I have 93K on the car. When I bought the car from Tomo it had 40K on it so I knew the warranty was about out. So for my peace of mind I did puchase an extended warranty from Chris (I think that is his name) at Langhorn VW. We'll see how it works out.
This is why extended warranty is a good thing..... I bet Tomo will feel bad!

TDI_Jeffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat, Black
I hit a tire in the road once. It dented a corner of my tranny pan enough to cause fluid to leak. I found the fluid leak a day later. After I learned a new tranny pan was around $500, I decided to repair mine! That was around 35K miles ago & I've had no problems since I removed the pan, banged out the dented corner and used some rtv around the damaged area when I resealed everything back up. It was also a good time to service my tranny with a new filter and fluid since I had the pan off anyway.

I did, however, repair mine long before it acted up as badly as yours. I felt some slipping & that's what caused me to lift the vehicle up to inspect the underside. If you've been running for a while with no tranny fluid, it can't be good....

TheGrove

TDI
Thanks tomo, things happen you can't let them get the best of you.

Yes I did get to Martens, Anthony is a real nice guy. Kenny is on vacation but due back either tomorrow or Friday. Anthony said he is going to try and get it in as soon as Kenny gets back and look at it. Once they do that and know parts and avaliability they will contact the extended warranty people. Then he will give me a call and let me know whats up.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
TheGrove said:
Thanks tomo, things happen you can't let them get the best of you.

Yes I did get to Martens, Anthony is a real nice guy. Kenny is on vacation but due back either tomorrow or Friday. Anthony said he is going to try and get it in as soon as Kenny gets back and look at it. Once they do that and know parts and avaliability they will contact the extended warranty people. Then he will give me a call and let me know whats up.
You did a very good thing taking Tomo's advice and brining it to Kenny. He is the best VW tech in the Baltimore/Washington Area. He has helped out so many of our members!

You're in great hands,

Good luck

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Hopefully it is covered. I hope that if you banged something on the road, that perhaps your auto insurance comprehensive can take care of it. Its a bad situation to be in. The best of luck to you!

TheGrove

TDI
I don't believe I hit anything on the road. Everything seemed fine until, on my way into work, I pulled out of a side street and left onto another street. When I did this I was accellerating and turning left at the same time but suddenly realized I had cut it a bit close with a car coming from the left and right. So I floored the car to get out from between the 2. It was wet and I had a bit of wheel spin, don't know if the ESP kicked it (to busy to look at the dash). Anyway, a couple of corners later while waiting for the light I noticed a whine that I didn't have before but everything seemed to be runing fine.

On the way home I noticed that when I was on the flat the RPM's were higher than normal. I also noticed that when I went up hill the RPM's would climb but the car didn't accellerate as normal. In fact on the last mountain before getting off the interstate I had to use the tip and drop to 4th to keep the speed up. Then when I got off the interstate and stopped at the end of the ramp when I went to go nothing happened. At that point the gear indicator on the dash got a solid bar behind the letters/numbers that has been there ever since.

The warranty should cover it, we'll see. Chris from Langhorn already called once to find out how the warranty going but I don't have any word on it right now.

TheGrove

TDI
Anthony called this afternoon, it seems the pan seal broke and started leaking. So the fixed that and changed the filters. When he talked to me at 3:30 pm they had it up to operating temp and no leaks were seen. They still needed to road test the car to make sure there were no other problems. He is calling me tomorrow to give me the update.

The extended warranty covered the repair, so my expense is $100.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I think if everyone changed their fluid at 60k intervals then the seal would not break. Of course VW says its lifetime.... So much for the lifetime fluid, its the gasket you've gotta worry about.

TheGrove

TDI
Yep, and I had on my list of things to have Metal Man do was a tranny service in about 2 weeks.

TheGrove

TDI
Not yet, by the time they had all the paperwork in order I was already 1/2 way home in the evening. I'll be there when they open on Monday.

Requiescat In Pace
Burlington, NJ {35 minutes from Phila Int"l
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
TheGrove said:
Anthony called this afternoon, it seems the pan seal broke and started leaking. So the fixed that and changed the filters. When he talked to me at 3:30 pm they had it up to operating temp and no leaks were seen. They still needed to road test the car to make sure there were no other problems. He is calling me tomorrow to give me the update.

The extended warranty covered the repair, so my expense is $100.
My new warranty ambassador! I am glad it worked out!

TheGrove

TDI
No word yet, I'll let everyone know Monday. If I remember from the service door no Saturday hours, but I'm also a good 2 1/2 hours away anyhow.

TheGrove

TDI
Well the word is not good.:mad:

I picked the car up yesterday morning. Since I had my truck my sister was driving it. On the way home in the evening it did the same thing.:eek:

According to the repair bill there were torque converter faults and they replaced the fluid, strainer, gasket and a washer.

So it was sent back to the dealer again. My guess is it will not make it to the Fest this year.

TheGrove

TDI
Yes, they have the car but Kenny did not have time to get to it when I talked to them at 3. Hopefully Kenny will look at it tomorrow.

Yes I'm still coming to the fest, just minus the baby. I'm bringing my mom and sister so they can do some sightseeing.

TheGrove

TDI
They are supposed to start pulling the transmission out and apart today and taking pictures. They then send that to the extended warranty company for the approval to put the new transmission in. Anthony said he would call and let me know later today what the status is.

TheGrove

TDI
Was just heading here to post an update.:)

They pulled the transmission and tore it down late last week and decided it needed to be replaced. Naturally the extended warranty people balked but ended up sending an inspector out to look it over. The inspector looked at it yesterday and talked to the tech and ended up agreeing that the best thing would be to replace the transmission.

So the new transmission has been ordered. Anthony (the service writter) said it could be in later tomorrow or Thursday. Once in it will take a day to install and test. So I'm hoping that I can pick it up by Friday afternoon, we will see.

Thanks for the interest and all of the kind thoughts and words here and at the fest. I would also like to thank Chris Farnham from VW of Langhorne. Chris sold me the extended warranty and when I called him about the companies complaning on Friday he immediatley checked things out on his end and called the dealership here to make sure everything would be taken care of - Thanks!:D

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
TheGrove said:
Yep, and I had on my list of things to have Metal Man do was a tranny service in about 2 weeks.
So I take it that the transmission was never serviced before this incident.. Is that correct?

But it is good to hear the extended warranty has worked out so far.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
DeliveryValve said:
So I take it that the transmission was never serviced before this incident.. Is that correct?

But it is good to hear the extended warranty has worked out so far.
The Transmission isn't supposed to be serviced......It is supposed to lifetime