Trading Jetta in for Passat. Need advice.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Well, even after the problems I had with my Jetta I decided I'm going to stick with VW. I test drove a couple hybrids but the thought of being stuck in one of those boring S*** boxes for 3 hours a day would make me want to shoot myself in the head.

I've decided to switch from a manual to a DSG because I spend a decent amount of time in traffic and my knees (especially left one) aren't getting any better. I am a little nervous going with the DSG because I plan to put on 45k miles a year. My questions are:

Any reason I shouldn't be able to get 200k+ miles out of a DSG with proper maintenance?

Also, you think $500 below invoice is a decent deal?

It'll be a TDI SE w/ sunroof NO NAV.

Muchas Gracias Amigos.

speedtek

TDI
2013 Passat Highline
Love my Passat, way nicer than the Jetta. Bigger, quieter, better materials inside and more features available.
I actually had some major problems with my first one I bought three weeks ago (see adblue issues thread), but VW and the dealer stepped up to the plate, bought the car back and gave me another one. I have been a VW/Audi fan for many years, this just confirms why.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Love mine so far. Have about 38K on it and have had zero issues. I came from a manual as well and the DSG has been good so far. From what I can tell, if you are good with servicing every 40K it should be fine. I know some of the early ones had DMF problems but from what I have read the newer ones have had that problem pretty much resolved...

originalboxcar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI 6spd
Any reason I shouldn't be able to get 200k+ miles out of a DSG with proper maintenance?

I know someone who has a 10 year old POS Chevy Venture van. Never changes the oil just tops it off (yep, he's a real dufus but true), never services the trans EVER and it's just now starting to slip @ 258k miles.

The above is probably an EXCEPTION and not the rule but should we be asking...."are we just tolerating VW these day???

I would EXPECT that with proper maintenance and no abuse one SHOULD get easily get 200k miles out of auto trans. I use amsoil ATF in all my automatics (U.S. cars) and have gotten high 100ks out of them with no issues.

knighthawk

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof
We traded our 2012 Jetta TDI for a 2013 Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof and no nav with the DSG. The only downside is the downgraded radio without the MDI cable in the glove box.

We both like the DSG, but expect it to act more like a manual transmission and not so much like an automatic and you will be good with it.

I much prefer the Passat over the Jetta. So much more going on with it and the fuel economy is roughly equal, even with the DSG. We had an occasion last week to travel some back roads which had a 50 mph speed limit for an extended time. The display read 52 mpg, which I am sure is off by 1 or 2 mpg, but is still fantastic. I figure if you can find some 45-55 MPH roads this car would go all day!

We plan on purchasing another Passat in a couple of years (my turn), and I will probably get the Nav system included. I hate having stuff stuck to the windshield. Not sure if its going to be an SEL or an SE at this point, but we are definitely loving our VW's.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Having bought the Passat and then had the Jetta as a loaner, I must say I would stick with the Jetta unless you want the larger dimension car (exterior and interior) and want the extra gadgets that the Passat offers. If you want to save $$$ stay with the Jetta line.

I found the Jetta with 16 inch tires to be QUIETER than the Passat with the 18 inch tires.

As to the DSG, everything about it is geared to MPG and only MPG. The performance lags at times in order to stay in a higher gear. The S mode really is a joke since it is designed for the power curve of a gas engine NOT the low-end torque of the TDI. I have found both D and S to be unsuitable for my driving needs. Forget manually shifting with the tiptronic. 6 gears is a wide range so you have to multiple click to get to the right gearing.

If you back up a hill regularly or drive up hills the DSG can be problematic because the clutching can have a hard time getting it right. It does NOT behave like a torque converter based automatic. Do some serious test driving in ALL conditions before you buy it. Spend REAL time in REAL situation, especially rainy/wet surfaces on a hill and see how it starts up the hill.

Schumi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I owned a '06 Jetta TDI Pkg.II with DSG and got 41mph in 50/50 driving. At 230k miles I began to worry about camshafts, engine mounts, etc., etc. I changed the DSG fluid at 50k miles - this is the only service I had the dealer do. I changed the oil with the correct stuff every 10k miles and did two belt changes at 100k intervals. The only issues I had were a coolant hose leak, a flap thing on the intake, and an airbag light that would never go off. So I sold it and bought a '13 Passat TDI SEL Premium with DSG. I love the car, especially the Fender stereo which is fantastic. I could car less about the nav., but it came along for the ride. The car is huge - bigger interior volume than an A8. I have so far averaged a little disappointing 37mpg, but I chalk it up to the cold temps here since I purchased it.
As far as advice, I would suggest that you NOT trade it in, but rather put on Craigslist (like I did) and sell it yourself. You'll be surprised how much they go for even with high miles.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Mike,

I think you'll be happy with the decision. As TomB said, do quite a bit of test driving to familiarize yourself with the DSG. It took me a few weeks to get used to - especially reverse on a hill.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I'd heard the Jetta Hybrid is pretty ****ing awesome actually, and don't kid yourself, it is faster 0-60 than the Passat TDI. If you like the looks/interior better, you'd probably be just as happy.

The actual electronics will probably be better.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Thanks for the input guys. Bought it. This is a nice ride. Time to put on some serious miles. :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
It came with Conti ProContact. No Hankooks. F yeah. Those were the worst. Heard the contis weren't great but can't imagine they could be worse. Think I'll stick with them. Just get some winter tires.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Congrats on your new purchase. With some TLC, and some TDIClub know-how, you'll be very happy for miles / years to come. I recommend the Michelins for replacement tires... Defenders. I'm a satisfied customer!

J'ville

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI w/Sunroof
I test drove a 13 Jetta Hybrid and it was a blast. I wondered how this thing was turning 10k rpm with just a slight stab of the accelerator, before I realized it was reading turbo pressure instead. The salesman didn't have a clue.
My decision was settled between the Passat TDI and the JHybrid, when the sales manager noted the eventual cost of the battery pack replacement. And space taken by same. Also being a bigger guy, The Passat seats are more accomodating.
But that Jetta was fun. Very sporting, dquick and nimble (sport suspension). Not your typical Prius.
My opinion is lease on the Hybrid. Then no worries about the battery pack.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's actually just a power gauge. 10 is 100% of normal available power and the boost section is a small margin above that (makes you think it's faster ;)).

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
Well, even after the problems I had with my Jetta I decided I'm going to stick with VW. I test drove a couple hybrids but the thought of being stuck in one of those boring S*** boxes for 3 hours a day would make me want to shoot myself in the head.
I've decided to switch from a manual to a DSG because I spend a decent amount of time in traffic and my knees (especially left one) aren't getting any better. I am a little nervous going with the DSG because I plan to put on 45k miles a year. My questions are:
Also, you think $500 below invoice is a decent deal?
It'll be a TDI SE w/ sunroof NO NAV.
Muchas Gracias Amigos.
I test drove a 13 Jetta Hybrid and it was a blast. I wondered how this thing was turning 10k rpm with just a slight stab of the accelerator, before I realized it was reading turbo pressure instead. The salesman didn't have a clue.
My decision was settled between the Passat TDI and the JHybrid, when the sales manager noted the eventual cost of the battery pack replacement. And space taken by same. Also being a bigger guy, The Passat seats are more accomodating.
But that Jetta was fun. Very sporting, dquick and nimble (sport suspension). Not your typical Prius.
My opinion is lease on the Hybrid. Then no worries about the battery pack.
:eek:

I don't think anyone offers a 45k mile per year lease.

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
Just saw this thread yesterday. Detroitmike, your original line about driving a hybrid for 3 hours a day is probably the funniest thing I've ever read on the TDI forums.

Because I was curious as to what a hybrid was like, I test drove a Prius C a couple weeks ago in the crazy orange colour. It was an extremely sad car IMO. As I've been telling people, it felt like I was trying to push a brick wall/concrete barrier down the road when I was trying to get the car up to the 50 MPH speed limit. I got back in my wagon (with a real engine) and I was so happy. When we returned the Prius, the sales guy asked how I liked it and I said "well, I've ruled out a hybrid". He didn't seem surprised since he knew we had a TDI and said he sold VWs at one time. We're starting to look for a replacement for my wife's 2000 Jetta and I'm thinking we're going to end up with another Jetta, or maybe even a 328d for her since the Passat is too large and the Mazda 6 is too large for her.

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just saw this thread yesterday. Detroitmike, your original line about driving a hybrid for 3 hours a day is probably the funniest thing I've ever read on the TDI forums.

Because I was curious as to what a hybrid was like, I test drove a Prius C a couple weeks ago in the crazy orange colour. It was an extremely sad car IMO. As I've been telling people, it felt like I was trying to push a brick wall/concrete barrier down the road when I was trying to get the car up to the 50 MPH speed limit. I got back in my wagon (with a real engine) and I was so happy. When we returned the Prius, the sales guy asked how I liked it and I said "well, I've ruled out a hybrid". He didn't seem surprised since he knew we had a TDI and said he sold VWs at one time. We're starting to look for a replacement for my wife's 2000 Jetta and I'm thinking we're going to end up with another Jetta, or maybe even a 328d for her since the Passat is too large and the Mazda 6 is too large for her.
If you are going to look at the 328d, consider holding off to check out the 2014 A3/A4 from Audi as they will have a diesel. BMW wins on performance, but Audi still has the better comfort and interiors in my opinion.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG

That 328d with xdrive would be nice. I can't complain about my Passat though. Very good car for the money.