Well, if power is what matters...Of course, there's the very real possibility we'll just end up in a new gas Passat, the problem there being what promises to be lackluster power with the 1.8 TSI, or just take the big gas mileage hit and order a VR6.
I cannot think of any conditions under the current settlement to the CAS whereby we'd keep the car.I am curious if you would consider keeping your Passat if an emissions fix is offered. If not, why? That is the direction I am leaning right now, I am interested in arguments either way.
Have you considered buying one of the new 2015 Passat TDIs that are now for sale? Do the 2 year lease and get $8500 off MSRP, pay off the lease with the buyback money, and then you basically have the same car, but newer and nicer, with a 162,000 mile warranty.I cannot think of any conditions under the current settlement to the CAS whereby we'd keep the car.
Here are the elements in my thinking that have convinced us to to the buyback:
1. We bought this car new in July '13, it now has @58K miles on it, so it should have around 80K on it by the end of next year. I've done all the buyback paperwork, and in September will secure a December 2018 date for a turn-in appointment.
2. VW is going to pay us @$27K for the car, only @$2K less than we bought it for.
3. At turn-in, this is going to be a 5 1/2 year old car with significant wear & tear on a number of expensive components. We will buy a brand new car to replace it, although it's an unknown at this time how much more that will cost.
4. This car has been our first diesel. We've really enjoyed it, especially the fuel efficiency, and it's been very little trouble. But the complex and somewhat fragile emissions systems hung onto these CR diesels do not bode well for maintenance expense down the road.
The downsides of doing the buyback are obvious:
1. There will likely be no diesel that is in the size range of the Passat that is not outrageously more expensive (and we will not consider a smaller car, nor an SUV, so things like the ephemeral Mazda CX-5 or Chevy Equinox are right out).
2. Keeping this car as long as we can also carries with it the risk that the car might well be totalled in an accident, in which case we'd probably not realize as much money for it.
3. We will face the additional expense of state sales tax when we buy a new car, which we would not do if we kept it and did the fix.
Given all of the above, we've decided to do the buyback.
Don't worry about it. Someone else will buy it. One frustrating thing about looking for TDIs is there's always someone who'll pay more money than you're willing to for any given car.and I just cant bring myself to paying 27k on a "new" car that is two years old. The 5k off just isnt enough incentive for me. I am hoping for the cars in my area to come down on price.
When I was selling my 2003 Golf GSL (gas), I found the the 2003 diesels were "book valued" at a substantially higher price.Don't worry about it. Someone else will buy it. One frustrating thing about looking for TDIs is there's always someone who'll pay more money than you're willing to for any given car.
Like me. I am burning up the phone today. I'm about to move. I found a manual GSW but it's black. Trying to decide if I want to deal with that headache. My GTI is night blue and got dam does it ever get dirty fast. And a stiff breeze can make the paint swirl.Don't worry about it. Someone else will buy it. One frustrating thing about looking for TDIs is there's always someone who'll pay more money than you're willing to for any given car.
If you want diesel wagon did you consider the BMW 328D Touring or the Jaguar F-Pace, both are comparable in price to the s90. Also next year Jaguar is releasing the XF asa sports back wagon and a E-Pace(small crossover), hoping both are in diesel in Canada/USA. And I think the X3 should be back in diesel too.Still looking for options to replace the Passat*, not very seriously yet, because we don't plan to do the buyback until the end of next year. A neighbor will be turning in his M-B 350 4-Matic about that time off a 3-year lease; buying the car at that time would be @$40K. I suppose that's not out of line on a car with a $70K sticker, but I can't see that happening with us. That would almost buy a new Volvo s90, or chip in another $10K and get the v90.
Of course, there's the very real possibility we'll just end up in a new gas Passat, the problem there being what promises to be lackluster power with the 1.8 TSI, or just take the big gas mileage hit and order a VR6.
*There have been people who state their intention of replacing a Passat with something more Jetta-sized, and taking that much of a hit in interior space is just not an option for us. The problem with that is that there are no attractive options in a real Passat-equivalent that don't involve way more money.
I bought a 2017 Wrangler Sahara and I LOVE IT!!!! 19 MPG and you can't wipe the smile off my face, I don't care the Jeep is awesome! This is how you purchase a Wrangler. Join the Wrangler Forum, go to the vendor thread and open Koons of Tyson's Corner (VA/DC). Craig's contact information is right there, he does the internet sales for a group buy. 6% off invoice for Sports and Sahara's and 5% off Rubicon's. It took me 3 weeks from factory order date to delivery. My local dealer would only go 1% below invoice. Get the quote from Craig and then try locally. I drove from Charlotte, NC, well worth the 6 hour drive to Koons. Then go onto Jeep.com and request brochures and updates, Jeep randomly sends out bonus cash or what we call Golden Tickets for $500 or $1,000 off a new vehicle. I was lucky and received a $500 ticket!I have been all over the map on this from eGolf to Jeep Wrangler. LOL
I love the utility and practicality of the JSW TDI, but I was thinking about a GTI even before the scandal hit. I'd love to get a 2017 Sport, but it's a bit too pricey right now. I'll probably get a slightly used S and bite the bullet on fuel to get the improved performance.
Recent happenings have scared me off the plan to drive it for two more years..
Took long enough to go through the buyback process that the opportunity to switch to an SUV/Crossover arose. Something we were going to do again eventually.
Ended up with a 2009 Forester XT Limited...
I just got a 328D off lease with 30K miles on it for 31900 this is a highly optioned car though the wagens are more...I've been giving some thought to a CPO 328d, maybe a 2014 which next year should cost about the same as what the BB is giving me, i.e., about $22k. I should be able to get one with about 25k miles. Maybe even a 328d wagon, but they're hard to find.
What year? Is it CPO?I just got a 328D off lease with 30K miles on it for 31900 this is a highly optioned car though the wagens are more...
Hmmm . . . I would not have expected that, given that the inline 6 and the 4 cyl engines are super smooth, especially the I-6. When it starts getting close, I'll test drive one or two.. . . but the engine is less refined, meaning louder with greater vibration, mostly under load.