trade in tax issue in NJ

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Ok not sure if this was covered but I was at dealer yesterday to check out replacements for the TDI wagon and the dealer told me you would get no tax break when you trade in your car ( in NJ if you trade in a car that price is deducted from the price IE trading in a TDI wagon and the trade is $15000 and buy GTI for $20,000 you would only pay tax on $5,000), this makes me have less of a incentive to trade in and buy another VW, not sure if this is because it is a buyback and is in the fine print of the settlement. Also I assume the dealer is correct as it hurts his business but you never know. Also only extra money is $1,000 loyalty coupon open to all VW owners gas or diesel.

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
When you do the buyback, you're not selling the car to the dealer, you're selling it to VWGOA, so the dealer can't tell the state that you sold them a car. This is part of the reason for the "restitution" part of the buyback.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Just be happy that Governor Christie is not going with you to the closing, and ripping the check out of your hands.

Yep, absent a law that allows a person selling to a different entity than he is buying from, there is no sales tax break on the value of the car you are getting rid of.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
And, yes, this has been covered, close to a hundred times, and the response has consistently been what the OP did no want to hear.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I know each state is different so was not sure NJ was discussed, if the mods want feel free to close.

And, yes, this has been covered, close to a hundred times, and the response has consistently been what the OP did no want to hear.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
We live in Blue states, and the good people in Trenton or Annapolis never saw a tax they didn't like.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
In Ohio I am able to request a refund on the tax of my Jetta purchase in 2015 since it is being bought back. So I do pay more when I buy another car but at least I can get the other tax back.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
interesting, will have talk to my CPA.

In Ohio I am able to request a refund on the tax of my Jetta purchase in 2015 since it is being bought back. So I do pay more when I buy another car but at least I can get the other tax back.

PC Passat

TDI
2017 Jetta GLI
In Arizona if a car manufacturer buys back your vehicle because it can not be repaired, they are supposed to refund the sales tax as well. Doubt that it will happen though.