Traction Control Button Install - The Abridged Version

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
As most of you know, the Mk VI Jetta doesn't come with any form of traction control disabling options. A member on another forum figured out how to add one to his Mk VI GLI, and posted the details. As it so happens, the same technique works for the TDI!

Anyway, on to the good news... I got mine installed this evening, and took quite a few pics along the way. The bad news, is that I ran out of daylight and didn't take as many as I would have liked to take. I also ran into a snag that anyone else preparing to do this mod should take note of.

On to business...

I started off following the instructions listed HERE. The instructions are pretty generic as far as the button is concerned, so I hope to at least shed a bit of light on that part of the install.

The parts came in a small package, all the way from Hong Kong!

Up close on the button... Good quality, if not OEM it's a very good replica.

Bold-Sport harness... You'll notice there are some extra wires coming out that AREN'T in a connector, they go into the empty connector. This is also where I got my connector for the next picture...

Modified harness (extra wires / connector removed). The right end in the picture plugs into the switch, and has had the red cover removed.
*NOTE* The Bold-Sport harness had pins 5 and 6 REVERSED in this picture! The Orange wire should be in position 5, and the Black wire should be in position 6! *NOTE*

Extension wires added to the removed connector.

Factory TPS switch plug (red cover removed here as well) with tape removed to expose wires.

Wires from extension soldered onto the factory TPS wiring.

Soldered wires heat-shrunk (removed pins from factory TPS harness to slide heat shrink over).

Whole harness wrapped in cloth tape (highly recommend this stuff BTW)...

continued...

Last edited:

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Tell me what's NOT factory here... :)

Close-up of the firewall grommet... I put a loop of tape at the grommet to keep it from pulling through the front (not that it would, but I'd rather have it tight against both sides of the grommet).

Button installed.

Night shot. ;)

On to a quick video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkNpNZ5kn94

Last edited:

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Now, for the downsides...

The harness as it came from Bold-Sport was indeed wired backwards as some have claimed. I don't think it would have an effect on the ESC button, but it DID have an affect on what wires I soldered to on the factory TPS harness. I ended up wiring the output side of the TPS switch to the input side of the ESC switch, which resulted in my only being able to disable ESC when simultaneously pressing the TPS button and the ESC switch. While that might be an idea for a 'safety' setup, it's not what I wanted for my setup.

I had to re-solder the original connection to the proper connection on the TPS harness after I had already buttoned everything up, and after sunset. Redoing solder jobs in the car with a cell phone flashlight isn't the best way to go about it! I also swapped the pins on the Bold-Sport harness just to be on the safe side.

That aside, the job was straight-forward and the tutorials posted around are pretty well accurate enough to make it through if you've got a good idea on the button wiring (or you follow what I did here).

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
In your pictures, is that wired backwards? Or is that corrected? I'm definitely doing this! Traction control works great when it's suppose to. But there are times when I just don't want it on! Do you have to always shut it off when you restart the car? Thanks

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Great Write-up, Thank you!
Did you also do the Vag-Com coding to disable ESP as well as TCS?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
In your pictures, is that wired backwards? Or is that corrected? I'm definitely doing this! Traction control works great when it's suppose to. But there are times when I just don't want it on! Do you have to always shut it off when you restart the car? Thanks
The wiring IS backwards in the pictures. I'll have to add that note. After cycling the key / ignition, the ABS module resets and turns traction back on.

You're super cool, that's for sure. :)

But I was hoping this was a video of you smoking the tires....:(:p
I did a test like that, but it's a hit hard to hold the camera and drive a stick. :p

Great Write-up, Thank you!
Did you also do the Vag-Com coding to disable ESP as well as TCS?
I did do the VCDS coding change, though holding the button for a short second time only turns traction back on. I've also tried holding the button down initially, but that doesn't seem to work either. I'll have to figure out how to make it work.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
You just need a photographer. ;)

I'm going to use a couple cameras, brothers and cars to make some video clips this spring. :cool:
Heh, well lemme know when we're meeting up for that!

Oh, and when are we going to get around to modding your car up? You're a DieselGeek SSK, Malone 1.5 Tune, speaker / amp upgrade, and now ECS button behind! Oh, and certainly can't forget about the FrostHeater!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Heh, well lemme know when we're meeting up for that!
Hehe...;)

Oh, and when are we going to get around to modding your car up? You're a DieselGeek SSK, Malone 1.5 Tune, speaker / amp upgrade, and now ECS button behind! Oh, and certainly can't forget about the FrostHeater!
Pfftt! I have to save up for a TB job in about 10 weeks. :rolleyes: And as a car she is only 2 years old according to build month! Too busy drivin' the damn thing to do any pimping I guess. :eek:

I'm thinking the ECS button at the end of summer, and stereo stuff will likely be in the cards before the wallet is ready, hopefully there will be some freaking choices by then!

She's never off long enough to need a FrostHeater! :p

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Pfftt! I have to save up for a TB job in about 10 weeks. :rolleyes: And as a car she is only 2 years old according to build month! Too busy drivin' the damn thing to do any pimping I guess. :eek:

I'm thinking the ECS button at the end of summer, and stereo stuff will likely be in the cards before the wallet is ready, hopefully there will be some freaking choices by then!

She's never off long enough to need a FrostHeater! :p
Maintenance above mods, agree with you there.

The ECS button is about $50 (+ beer cost for install), so it's definitely the cheapest mod in my list. After that, I'd VERY HIGHLY recommend the DieselGeek SSK. If you want to drive mine to see what the difference is like, I might be kind enough to allow it. :p

I actually finally got my Alpine KTP-445 installed about an hour ago, and I'm VERY happy that I finally took the time to do so. Paired with the Type-R's it sounds amazing. I did manage to lose my fade abilities on the RCD-510, but not a big deal to me (it was centered anyway).

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Ever think of cutting a hole in the rear deck and centering a nice 12" sub in it? With some resonance science and flex ports, the whole trunk might make a nice bass cannon. :eek: Or am I just getting silly? :p

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Ever think of cutting a hole in the rear deck and centering a nice 12" sub in it? With some resonance science and flex ports, the whole trunk might make a nice bass cannon. :eek: Or am I just getting silly? :p
I was never a fan of that much bass... ;)

I wouldn't mind adding a single 10" to the back, and JL makes a nice custom fit one for the Mk VI, but at $750 for a sub + enclosure and an amp, not including wiring (though I've already got a wiring kit around here somewhere), it's just not worth the money.

There are cheaper routes, but I tend to follow the 'do it right the first time' principle.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I was never a fan of that much bass... ;)
I am a lame old fogey who is occassionally amused by excessive bass. :rolleyes: I use the previous description for myself because it has realistic consideration for the simple fact I think the VW stereo already makes my late 1980's DJ Majic Mike traxx sound so def, yo! :D

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I am a lame old fogey who is occassionally amused by excessive bass. :rolleyes: I use the previous description for myself because it has realistic consideration for the simple fact I think the VW stereo already makes my late 1980's DJ Majic Mike traxx sound so def, yo! :D
Mos Def!

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
What about cars with Kessy? The start/stop button takes that first spot and it looks like the ESC switch has two rounded corners and two square corners; i.e., meant for the left end spot.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
What about cars with Kessy? The start/stop button takes that first spot and it looks like the ESC switch has two rounded corners and two square corners; i.e., meant for the left end spot.
In that case you'd have to order the button from your dealership. There's a part # floating around, if you need it I can probably find it for ya.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Ya know Dozenspeed, if you pick up the stuff for this and I do the install, maybe you can record some video footage for a full blown DIY... Just a thought. :p

blucherb5

TDI
2013 jetta
Could you guys tell me where I should tap into so that my traction control button illuminates when the lights are on. I don't need to be able to dim the switch-just want it to light up. Thanks in advance.