Traction Control(ASR) Need a Ginnie pig

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Or if someone with an '01 and an american ecu wants to swap ecu's with me for a couple of minutes we can find out quick.

MiksTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Galactic Blue
I think I can still get the ASR unit for about 100-200 bucks. I will be talking with a few friends to see if they would help with the bleeding part. I wouldn't know where to go in Vag-Com to do the 1st bleed of the pump but I'm sure I can do the research on here to figure it out. Any help would be Great!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MK60 ASR pump is installed in my '01 golf with immo2

[/ QUOTE ]

Oldpoopie: Can you give the part number of the pump you installed? Thanks...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a pic of the part # of the ASR pump visable from where it is mounted in the car.

Here are the part #s off of the OLD normal ABS pump

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Hmm. Defeat switch is 1J0927133A for ASR and 1J0927134A for ESP, but I can't seem to locate the electrical connector. I suspect it's one of the 1J0937713/A/B but I can't vouch for sure.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Ah, I was in the right diagram, just too far to the right.
But, searching on the part number reminded me (and I wanted to share) that many of the connectors are the same in the Passat and Golf/Jetta, so you are likely to find them in a Passat in a wrecking yard, while there seem to be fewer Jettas with options like ASR and heated seats.

vwnumber3

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
Ok, I have my switch in and most of the wireing done. From the switch I hve t6/1 to dimmed power, t6/2 to ground, t6/6 to the abs fuse on the fuse panel. But my question is on t6/5. Going by Lito's drawing on page 2 of this thread(yes I know his is a mk20 and mine is mk60) he has t6/5 splicing into a wire that you add from t25/15 of the abs module to t32a/14 of the instrument cluster. My question is do mk60's have to add this wire as well? The wireing to the abs pump seem to have 49 or 50 connectors instead of the mk20's 25. So for the guys who have this installed on a mk60 vehicle, is there any wire to add? Which pin does it go to? If not, what do I tie t6/5 of my switch to?

vwnumber3

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
I got my pump installed, however the switch did not work. I searched around and found in Bently that I need to tie to T47/13 NOT T47/15 as mentioned here. I switched my wire and now it works. This is for MK60 only and it was on my 02 Jetta Wagon so I don't know if the sedans are different or not. Thanks for all the help I got from the forum on this.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
ok, I'm finally installing my switch tomorrow. (I ran in the autocross at waterfest with it enabled, and I think it definately slowed me down...
)
Anyway, I've altered Lito's orriginal diagram for the mk20 wiring, and corrected it for the mk60 wiring. I hope I've gotten it correct and that it helps someone.

Edited to make a better diagram

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
You want to be able to turn it off for racing but still have it for winter. Best of both worlds. Leave set on till you wnat to play then push the Button.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Ok, I was still a bit confused with that other diagram, it failed to mention that some wires were already in place, plus I got the pinout wrong when I went to wire it. I corrected everything today and decided to make a new diagram based on what is now working in my car.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Well, no one had done a stock '01 ECM and ASR. So today I tried. I have a 'CP' ECM and installed a used 1C0 907 379 K. Soft coding is 0021505. First contact showed 2 fault codes. 1 for the right front ABS sensor, and one for ECM code. Tried clearing and it wouldn't. Went to adaptation group 00, read, save, then back to the fault codes. They cleared.

Went through the bleeding process, put the wheels back on, and went for a test.

Found a place with gravel surface sure to make for loss of traction.

Hit the go pedal from a dead stop.

Called Lito and asked what the flashing triangle with ! and circular arrow around it meant.

Yes, folks a 2001 with stock ECM and Mk. 60 can have ASR!

Also note that I have an auto tranny so that adds a TCM to the mix.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Congrats Glen! The guy who bought my ASR already got it installed. I called him cause he couldn't clear the DTC's either. Instructed him to go to adaptation, channel 00, read, test, save, then the DTC's cleared.

Lito

ratsnest

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf, 2000 Golf
Lito, I can't thank you enough for your help with those DTC's. I have to say that this is the first real 'mod' that I have done to this car since I got it in July and it is absolutely worth it. Somebody make it snow!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Don,

No problem! MoGolf and I were talking about the wiring yesterday. There is no reason why you can just splice into the cluster wiring for the switch. No need to go to the controller. Just tap it at the cluster. Works the same way.

Look at poopie's diagram. Pin 5 of the switch to Pin 14 of the cluster. Pin 6 to the fuse box. The other two wires can tap onto any of the nearby switches for dash lights.

Done.

L

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, what I pointed out to tongsli is that ASR switch 1 can go to hazard switch 5, ASR 2 to hazard 6, ASR 5 to green cluster 14 and ASR 6 to hazard 7.

edit to add:

Attaching to the cluster at green 14, this did nothing. It is necessary to wire to the pump. The pump wiring does have a wire in the correct location, but I could not dig that wire out of the wiring harness to find where it terminated. So I ran the wire and connected at the pump connector. The ASR light flashes as it should when the system operates, and goes on/off when the switch is operated. No direct connection to the cluster is needed to make the light work properly.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, read the early posts in the thread where I did it.