Traction Control(ASR) Need a Ginnie pig

azerite

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon, 2005 jetta
This disables as with a different installed correct? I have a wavetrac and want to have both will the coding defeat that?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
To disable there are two methods.
One is by reading how to wire up a disable switch, which requires some splicing onto the pump harness to feed it 12v momentarily I believe (its been a while).
Other is to use coding 4097... that is just abs.

Or, trade+cash for your asr pump to abs pump :)

azerite

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon, 2005 jetta
Yeah that's what I'm saying I want to have asr and my differential on all the time, in this case I only need to swap out units right?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Yeah that's what I'm saying I want to have asr and my differential on all the time, in this case I only need to swap out units right?

When I di the first install way back I had a LSD and found using both works better then just using the LSD. Had I to do it over Like I need to to with my 03 now, I am only going to use the ASR (when ever I find a good cheap clean MK60 controller). On the 01 Ginnie pig car I did not program or reprogram the computer. Just install the ASR unit and it worked.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, usually the code is already programmed inside the ASR unit.
Mine had a different code, 21505, which is ASR/ABS/EDL plus anti slip... meaning when you are in gear, lets say you drop into 1st with speed, it prevents the wheels from locking up by matching throttle to speed of wheels.
But that can be removed by using 18945 coding from what I've read regarding the D and K units.

p377y7h33f

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-Speed in Tornado Red
so many pages... so many part numbers...
i found a unit that i think will work on my 03, made in Hungary.

1C0 907 379 K is the controller part number. go for it?

p377y7h33f

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-Speed in Tornado Red
That PN is the ABS/EDL/ASR. Should be fine.
thanks. just bought it for $55 shipped. now i have a reason to rebuild the TT calipers i've been holding on to.

out of curiosity, has there been a case of retro-fitting an ESP unit into a non-ESP mk4 successfully?

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
out of curiosity, has there been a case of retro-fitting an ESP unit into a non-ESP mk4 successfully?
Yup. It's much more work than a simple upgrade to ASR.

You need the combi-sensor, steering wheel clockspring and an ESP-equipped ABS pump. ESP uses a different master cylinder, which doesn't fit a non-ESP booster so you need ESP versions of both.
Wires need to be run between the clockspring and combi-sensor and the pump. And one wire on the ABS pump connector must be moved to a different location in the connector.

I did this on my '01 back in 2008. In 2001, ESP wasn't even an option. My car did have a MK60 ABS pump, though. I don't know that a MK20 ABS pump car (early 2001 or older) can be converted as easily - I think you need some Euro-only parts.

Appropriate threads:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=95576
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=92577
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=157416

I read the threads, took many notes and made lists of all the wiring changes to be made, etc.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Yup. It's much more work than a simple upgrade to ASR.

You need the combi-sensor, steering wheel clockspring and an ESP-equipped ABS pump. ESP uses a different master cylinder, which doesn't fit a non-ESP booster so you need ESP versions of both.
Wires need to be run between the clockspring and combi-sensor and the pump. And one wire on the ABS pump connector must be moved to a different location in the connector.

I did this on my '01 back in 2008. In 2001, ESP wasn't even an option. My car did have a MK60 ABS pump, though. I don't know that a MK20 ABS pump car (early 2001 or older) can be converted as easily - I think you need some Euro-only parts.

Appropriate threads:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=95576
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=92577
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=157416

I read the threads, took many notes and made lists of all the wiring changes to be made, etc.
Easily? no. I had to get my ABS pump from German ebay and this was before paypal.

I got lucky and bet the MK20 ESP ABS used is even harder to find now. So no, it was not easy.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Easily? no. I had to get my ABS pump from German ebay and this was before paypal.
I got lucky and bet the MK20 ESP ABS used is even harder to find now. So no, it was not easy.
Every time I think I want ESP in my Jetta I end up deciding it would just be easier to put a TDI engine into an Audi TT that already has it.

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
I just did this today. Cost me $45 to add ASR to my 03. Now I just need to wire up a defeat switch. Will I have to run a wire to the controller or should it already be ran under the dash somewhere?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I was going to do this also...I have everything needed its been damn near 4 years since I've done this and still have the parts in a box. I've found that I don't need the " off " switch installed. I've also done the same mod to my sons car about 2 years ago same result he hasn't had the need to shut it off.
I'm in the process of installing one for my youngest daughters car, I won't be installing an off switch either. Just my .02.

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
I think the traction control falling on its face was mostly solved with cable-less throttle. My sister's car with cable throttle absolutely needs the disable switch. It'll cut the fuel and fall on its face when pulling out at times. Scared me half to death pulling out of the subdivision one day. Traffic was bad so I planned to pull out fairly aggressive. Wheel hit some gravel on the shoulder and the throttle cut just as I was in the road. My 03 TDI on the other hand behaves well under the same condition.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree,
The drive by wire and diesel both lend responsiveness to this form of traction control.
-Drive by wire, makes it immediate without needing to actuate a cable that controls fuel or throttle
-Diesels, not needing a throttle, have a simple way of adjusting output- cut fuel!

It ends up being much like a racing sim that I play online, where traction control is so smooth, it helps a lot on certain "slippery" tracks with high power cars!

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
My module is 1C0-907-379-M

I need to replace it since it's leaking. Anyone know what are the possible interchange parts?

blaze.BG

TDI
'98 AFN +++ , '00 AHF
Hi guys! Masters was doing this before 13 years lol!
I'm on same upgrade for mine '99 Toledo MK2 1.9TDI AHF.
But it seems taht all instructions for Golf4 (even same '99 AHF) are not equall to Seat wiring.
On pin T32/14 (green plug) i have trunk open light signal !
I can't find pin that controls K155 TCS! light.
I'm with this dash:

It has TCS indication, but wiring is not same as all info that i found - Connect T25/15 with T32-green/14 and TCS switch. = WRONG in my situation.
Original ABS was: 1J0 907 379 G
I fit the new ABS/EDL/ASR unit : 1J0 907 379 R + 1J0 614 417 A
On pin T25/15 i got grey/black wire with constant +12v on it.
I cut it off and made wiring as explained above, but nothing. I realize that i lost öpen trunk" indication, so i figure out that T32green/14 pin is for my trunk indication.
There is no reactions with new module, no EDL, no ASR/TCS. No warning or error lights on dash. And i have error in ASR module:
Control Module Part Number: 1J0 907 379 R
Component and/or Version: ASR 20 IE CAN 0001
Software Coding: 13404
Work Shop Code: WSC 00343
1 Fault Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
35-10 - - - Intermittent

May be ECU or Dash also must be recoded to work with ASR/TCS ???
Mine ECU is : 1.9l R4 EDC G000SG 2130 // 038 906 018 BT // Coding: 00002 WSC: 00046
Dash cluster is : S5KOMIINSTR. VDO V13 // 1MO 919 880 R // Coding: 04140 WSC: 05270
Is there anyone with same car or at least same instrument cluster and TSC, who can help with wirings info and coding?
Any suggestions guys ?

EDIT: I recoded ABS module to 13204, according to this info:
ABS only =03504
ABS and EDL=13504
ABS+EDL+ASR =13204
And there are no errors now.
I thin it work fine! Last thing left is to wire up light indication.

NO! Only EDS works with coding 13204- ABOVE INFO IS wrong.

Last edited:

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Hey everyone, I bought the Mk60 ABS module a few years back in hopes of adding this to my wagon. Well that never happened; I sold my wagon and this is part of the leftover parts pile.

If anyone needs the pump/module and ASR button for the dash, please let me know. It's for sale here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=432709

Sorry for posting here otherwise, but maybe it will help someone out. Thanks.

gallaj01

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS, 2001 Jetta TDI GLS, 2017 Golf AllTrack
I've done this upgrade in a few cars, but now want to do it to a 2002 Jetta Wagon.

I do not really care for the ASR feature but find EDL essential. Since the EDL portion is controlled by the ABS unit I was thinking that EDL might work without upgrading the ECU to an '03. Can anyone weigh in on this?

This would be ideal for me: EDL with no ASR, and I don't have to swap ECUs

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I just did this today. Cost me $45 to add ASR to my 03. Now I just need to wire up a defeat switch. Will I have to run a wire to the controller or should it already be ran under the dash somewhere?

As I've been digging through some ASR install threads, did you just buy the ASR/EDL hydro Unit and install it, do the coding and that's it?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
I have read the entire thread from beginning to end and I would just like to verify some things.

I am installing this on a 2002 jetta wagon TDI w 5 speed trans

These are the parts I got today:

ABS module: 1C0 907 379 K / 1j0 614 417 D
(came from late 02 jetta)

ECU: 038 906 012 GN
(came from 2003 TDI)

ASR defeat switch 1J0 927 133 A

Wire harness: 8L0 971 972

Repair wires: (qty 4) 000 979 227

The steps I should take are:

1. install and code ECU to work with car (only neccessary on 2002's)
2. install and wire ASR defeat switch with wire #5 tapping into t47a/13 the other 3 are simple
3. install ABS ASR pump
4. change coding with vag com to adapt to ASR (would like more clarification on this)
4. bleed pump using vag com process

If I have any part numbers or steps in my install wrong please let me know.

I would also like some more clarification on the ASR coding with vag com, If anyone can explain.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but from what I gather, if I'm doing this install on a 2003 Jetta wagon, I wouldn't need the ECU then?

How did your install come out? I am looking at doing this also on my 2003 Jetta wagon.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
All you need is the new brake module. There should be no coding required. To defeat this you need the push button and tap into the harness.

PM coming your way.

I was able to locate this module locally, 1J0 614 417 D

Now to get the switch and the required wiring :)

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
So...I know this thread is old and has a lot of info but reading the 42 pages so far is a must for anybody wanting to do this. I spent the majority of my afternoon reading it in downtime and it clears up any questions presented.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Damn it, I've thrown away 2 of those units, :mad:

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys, I have a question regarding the wiring.

I was able to get the switch and the 4 wire connector that the switch plugs into from the auto wreckers this morning.

I want to prepare myself with the wiring so that I can get it done in one shot as I don't want to have my car down for much time.

Looking at oldpoopies diagram:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=797080&postcount=351

It's easier to understand but I am a bit confused and want to verify I'm going to do this properly.

I have to buy wire to extend the wires on the connector. I've looked through this thread and didn't fine anything regarding what kind wire gauge we should consider if needed.

So on the connector, wire #6 is a black wire and from the diagram goes to the switched power at the fuse panel. so I could remove the side fuse panel and just splice into the wire that runs to fuse #9 as long as it's black?

Regarding wire #5 grey with a black stripe, Oldpoopie states to tie into the existing wire #13 at the main ABS/ABR (t47a) connector. What would be the best method to splice into this? I would rather stay away from soldering and I haven't done a whole lot of electrical work so I'd like to make it as best as I can. I do have the OEM Fabric tape that I would wrap everything up afterwards.

For wire 1 (power - grey with blue stripe) and wire 2 (ground - grown), could I just not splice into the emergency flasher or something of that sort?

or would I need to run the wire to the dimmer switch and a ground?

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
Any gauge is fine. It's just pulling down a signal to ground. I used 20 or 22 awg solid, I forget. It's tiny like in network cabling!

You can tap into that wire by using one of those blue or red crimp down splice things. The name escapes me.
I just used a solid wire and pushed that into the pin of that terminal where the wires come out. It's not the best way to tap in, but in this case, all it would do if it failed would be to prevent me from toggling on/off the ASR (which is default on anyways).

I tapped ground under the dash and power under the dash too with a 3 amp inline fuse. I didn't want to splice into the fuse box area.
The dimmer power comes from the dimmer adjuster by the headlight switch.

My asr switch toggles asr, but the light for asr I used to indicate when my coolant glow plugs are on. You can do whatever you wish, because anyway what tells you whether asr is on or off is already on the dash! I figured, hey, free indicator light :)