Traction Control(ASR) Need a Ginnie pig

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
IIRC you can't recode ESP to just be ASR.

And MSR is part of ASR/EDL. If you have ASR or ESP you already have MSR.

And it actually stands for motorschleppmomentregelung. ;)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Darn. I was hoping I can just install the ESP pump so it there in case I ever wanted to upgrade to ESP. Oh well, good thing I didn't order the ESP pump yet. Its pretty retarded that you can't buy a ESP pump and recode for ASR or ABS only.

Can you recode a MK60 ASR pump to ABS? I remember reading a thread on vortex that MK60s are fully recodable and MK20s are not. (?)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
According to my Bentley for MK20:

03504 = ABS only

13504= ABS + EDL

13204= ABS + EDL + ASR

Last edited:

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've had my ASR installed for a little while and I'm finally getting around to installing the switch. Can anyone tell me which is the power lead I should tie into for the switch. I don't have a volt meter at the moment.

There is a large brown wire and two smaller blue wires coming out of the dimer switch. I'm not sure which one to tie into.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Dash light dimming leads should be grey with a blue stripe on the seat heater switches at terminal 1 of their connector.

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
So I would tap into both of them (both gray wires) coming off the #1 seat heater relay and put them both into the #1 on the ASR switch. It seems weird to have two wires coming into one lead. Is that because of the way the reostat (dimmer) works? Full power vs partial power?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I don't think my ASR has MSR. It's not listed in the description anyway.

-J
Not sure what part number you have but all the ASR units I have installed back when everyone wanted one had the MSR stamped on the computer along with the ABS ,ASR ,EDL , MSR IIRR correctly there were 4-- 3 letter ID's stamped on the computer. I do know it is one of the better mods you can do, if you can not go the whole way and go for the ESP which I would like to do on this car but will most likely have to settle for just the ASR and with no snow this year it really is not needed for the 2nd year in a row. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=37354&page=5 number 68 post showed the units I installed that day with the ID markings on them.

Last edited:

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
Birdman,

I installed the MK 60 this last weekend and everything is working, still need to wire the ASR switch. When you wired up your ASR switch did you have to run a new wire from ASR switch 6 to T47 pin 13 on the ABS/ASR MK 60 pump or was there a wire in the instrument cluster harness that goes to T47 pin 13? I have not investigated as of yet and did not look closely at the plug on the ABS pump to see if there was a pin and wire installed.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I have read the entire thread from beginning to end and I would just like to verify some things.

I am installing this on a 2002 jetta wagon TDI w 5 speed trans

These are the parts I got today:

ABS module: 1C0 907 379 K / 1j0 614 417 D
(came from late 02 jetta)

ECU: 038 906 012 GN
(came from 2003 TDI)

ASR defeat switch 1J0 927 133 A

Wire harness: 8L0 971 972

Repair wires: (qty 4) 000 979 227

The steps I should take are:

1. install and code ECU to work with car (only neccessary on 2002's)
2. install and wire ASR defeat switch with wire #5 tapping into t47a/13 the other 3 are simple
3. install ABS ASR pump
4. change coding with vag com to adapt to ASR (would like more clarification on this)
4. bleed pump using vag com process

If I have any part numbers or steps in my install wrong please let me know.

I would also like some more clarification on the ASR coding with vag com, If anyone can explain.

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
I installed the same part numbers as you have, bled the ABS per VCDS and then bled the brakes as you would normally. That's it everything was coded correctly once the new ABS module is installed. I checked my old coding prior to removing the 117A part number and rechecked when I had finished installing the 417D and the coding followed the ABS module. I have yet to wire the ASR switch but pin 6 goes to pin 13. I don't think it really makes any difference but that is what the Bentley manual shows. Now this was accomplished on a 2003 Golf, so I don't know what the differences for the 2002 would be. As soon as you turn on your ignitiion you will see the ASR symbol in the cluster illuminate.

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
I installed a MK60 1C0 907 379K pump into my wagon and the EDL isn't working. The ASR is working great as is the ABS, but if one tire is on ice it just spins with no ABS noise like my other the MK4s(but they have MK20 pumps).

Does the 1C0 907 379K unit have EDL?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Just installed ASR in my 04 PD and turned out great but I haven't put in the switch yet. Does anyone know where the heck does T47a/13 on the ABS pump green/black wire goes? According to Bentley, it says after coming out of the ABS pump it goes through A132 connection (ASC) in instrument panel wiring harness.I don't want to really cut anything to find where the heck that is. I was able to trace it back and it does go through the firewall into the interior. I do not know where it goes from there and I do not want to cut apart my entire wire harness to find out. I also would rather not cut it at the pump and have to fish it though the firewall when it already goes there.

Any ideas? Does anyone have a spear MK4 interior harness to chop apart so we can figure this out?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry I have not kept up with this thread. The wiring on the MK 20 should be as follows. From the dash switch run a wire from T6/5 out to the ASR control unit connector T25/15. There should already be a gray/black wire in that pin, Just splice into that wire. That same gray/black wire runs from the ASR Control unit to the ASR light in the cluster, so you do not need to worry about wiring that light.
Then run a wire from the ASR switch T6/6 to S9 (fuse 9 in the fuse holder). It is easier to just wire T6/6 to any switched hot wire. That is what I did on my 01. But you can pull the fuse block out and wire T6/6 into the back of Fuse 9 which makes it very clean.
Cars that came stock with this already wired up will show the wires you are running making connections in the wiring harness which in the Bentley can be a bit confusing. Now all you need to do is run a wire from the dash switch T6/2 to a ground and T6/1 to the closest dash light and you are done.

The MK60 ASR wires the same way only differant pins on the controller. I do not have a manual handy but from the thread you will run a wire from the dash switch T6/5 to ASR Controller T47/13 again there is already a wire at that pin which you will splice into. That same wire runs between the ASR controller and the ASR Light in the Cluster. Then hook up the lamp in the switch as above.
I saw some questions about where the wires go in the harness. There is really no reason to chase those wires down since they were for cars that came with ASR as stock. Some of them are there and work as they are intended to but you will still have to run the main wire from a switched hot source to the ASR controller because that is the only one that I have found is not there. If you want to keep it real simple, install a single pole switch with a hot lead on one side and run the other side to T25/15 MK20 or T47/13 MK60. That is all you need to turn the system on and off.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Just installed ASR in my 04 PD and turned out great but I haven't put in the switch yet. Does anyone know where the heck does T47a/13 on the ABS pump green/black wire goes? According to Bentley, it says after coming out of the ABS pump it goes through A132 connection (ASC) in instrument panel wiring harness.I don't want to really cut anything to find where the heck that is. I was able to trace it back and it does go through the firewall into the interior. I do not know where it goes from there and I do not want to cut apart my entire wire harness to find out. I also would rather not cut it at the pump and have to fish it though the firewall when it already goes there.

Any ideas? Does anyone have a spear MK4 interior harness to chop apart so we can figure this out?
Well, others have tried in the past to chase that wire down via diagrams without success.

I am willing to bet you could find it in the water-proof plenum chamber under the wipers. But removing the wipers and accessing that box is a PITA. Would be easier to go directly to T47. But I bet you could find the wire in that box. Most of the connectors from the exterior harnesses connect through that box as you probably know.

I did a search on T47/13 on this thread and looks like everyone runs to T47. Would be great if you could find it elsewhere.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, others have tried in the past to chase that wire down via diagrams without success.

I am willing to bet you could find it in the water-proof plenum chamber under the wipers. But removing the wipers and accessing that box is a PITA. Would be easier to go directly to T47. But I bet you could find the wire in that box. Most of the connectors from the exterior harnesses connect through that box as you probably know.

I did a search on T47/13 on this thread and looks like everyone runs to T47. Would be great if you could find it elsewhere.
It does not go through that box. I already was there and I was able to trace the wire and it goes though the big grommet in the firewall. The box under the wipers is for the engine harness to interior connections. The ABS is part of the chassis harness and not the interior harness.

In my experience, vw never ever just terminates a wire inside the harness. It usually goes to a connector, which may be wrapped inside the harness but it usually pretty easy to find and open up.

If I could get the dash section of a late MK4 body harness, I would be able to solve this mystery once and for all.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
It does not go through that box. I already was there and I was able to trace the wire and it goes though the big grommet in the firewall. The box under the wipers is for the engine harness to interior connections. The ABS is part of the chassis harness and not the interior harness.

In my experience, vw never ever just terminates a wire inside the harness. It usually goes to a connector, which may be wrapped inside the harness but it usually pretty easy to find and open up.

If I could get the dash section of a late MK4 body harness, I would be able to solve this mystery once and for all.
I hope you do figure it out. I have partial pieces of harnesses and will check them tonight. I know that I've got an ABS connector harness.

Last edited:

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I believe that it is wrapped up in the harness but without a trip to the wreaking yard and taking one apart can not prove it. It is just as easy to run a single wire out through the large grommet in the firewall to the T47 or T25. But then I like it easy as long as it is neat. Now if Old-Poopie would send me his ASR I could get it in for this winter. LOL He is even busyier? out west then he was here I believe.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have the harness that lives under the steering wheel and connects the cluster, wiper stalks, engine harness, and body harness together? That would be the main area of interest.

swetlioo

TDI
AFN
ASR to A4 AFN 1996

Hi guys, I have Audi A4 AFN motor 1996, with standart ABS. I want to upgrade it to ABS+ASR, and I allready buy ABS pump with VAG num 4A0614111G, and ABS ECU with VAG num 4D0907379N. I take them from Audi A6 2.6 ABC engine, from 1996 year. Can any one tell me can I install this new ABS+ASR to my car, and what I need to change in wiring? You can write me to swetlioo@abv.bg Thank you!

azerite

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon, 2005 jetta
Had a couple of quick questions i was hoping to get answered. From the research so far it seems that there is a mk20 and a mk60. I have a 2005 pd, which i believe takes a mk60. If i want to retrofit ASR, do i need to get the exact year? I would imagine no, but want to double check. Also, can it be from a GTI or golf platform? (i have a jetta), i didn't find anywhere that indicates it would be a problem but want to double check before i buy.

azerite

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon, 2005 jetta
One last question, is there any vág com coding that needs to be done? To turn the light on etc.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk