Traction Control(ASR) Need a Ginnie pig

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Well it wouldn't be the first time for an error in the wiring diagrams.

Let's see if I understand correctly.

You have a wire at T25/15.
You have a wire at T32a/14.

You want to connect the switch T6/5 to this circuit?

Is the color of the wire at "15" and "14" above grey with a black stripe? If not, then you might not be looking at the right wire or the diagram is wrong.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
There is a wire at T25/15 this is at the ASR unit. There is no wire at the T32a/14. YET the ASR light works. The ASR light according to the bentley need a wire from those to points to work so i will play with the VOM meter and find out whats going on.
Did you do this mod?" \
Just checked the T25 connector there is a gray/ black wire . but it,s not going to T32a/14

[ July 06, 2002, 06:25: Message edited by: Birdman ]

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Birdman, I never got around to the wiring, so you're the pioneer on this one.
Eric did it on a 2002 (I think) which is a little different.
I have a spare asr unit I may sell in the near future, if anyone can't find one.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the input. I think i will try to find a wrecked one and check the wiring on it. For now IF i need to i can always pull the number 9 fuse which shut down the ASR and ABS.

MarkIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver/Black, 2006 New Beetle Pkg#2 DSG Red/Black
Just bumping an "old" topic of great interest to me.

I'm interested in upgrading my Mk60 ABS-only unit to ABS/EDL/ASR before the snow flies.

It isn't clear from the reading whether you guys were dealing with the Mark 20 or the Mark 60.

Any thoughts or recent discoveries would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have '01 Golf GLS 5-sp-man Tdi.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Most of this thread is Mk. 20.

The latest part number for ABS+ASR for MK. 60 that I know of is 1J0 698 417 A. I just sent an email to Impex to find out their price.

Switch 1J0 927 133 A is needed for switching on/off.

Plus some wiring bits.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
So, have we ruled ESP out as as cost effective upgrade? Is it just the ABS/EDL/ASR module that works as a plug n' play - not the ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP?
Edit to add that if it matters one way or the other - I'm talking about a MK60 version.

MCA

[ September 09, 2002, 04:08: Message edited by: mycruiseagent ]

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I THINK that EDL is on the auto trans cars. I talked to a few at the fest that said they had the EDL ,all were autos. I know you can,t buy a 5 speed TDI with EDL ( at least when i bought mine in 2000. But the ASR should be plug and play on both Mark 20&60 I know it is on the 20. Note that the control module is marked (for the 20) ABS<ASR<EDL>MDR whatever MDR is i don,t know. I have installed 2 Mark 20 units and they work great easy Mod.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The word from IMPEX is that they cannot supply the Mk. 60 pump and controller.

Now to search the recycling yards...

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MO Golf try VW Parts 1-800-897-2787 tom or eric.
not the same as Impex this is a large wreaking yard. My Mk 20 with switch was 285.

[ September 10, 2002, 05:08: Message edited by: Birdman ]

MarkIV

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks MOGolf
I'd be most happy with the ABS/ASR/EDL features for Mk60 controller on manual transmission. I'll check out the part numbers you provided.

It appears the ESP feature requires an extra module to drive it...looks much like an optical accelerometer or gyro that mounts on the transmission hump under the dash.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Glen,

That seems very odd. Who did you correspond with??

Impex's price brand new is $675.00 for 2001 or newer. Try punching in the part number.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lito, the response came from Justin. Can you confirm the part # above from ETKA?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lito, You're right. It now comes up at the Impex website.
I guess I can't trust anything I read in the emails these days.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Mine is in and works great of course, but I can't seem to get the defeat working.
After spending some time routing a wire to the T25 connector on the ABS brain, I ended up pulling it back inside the car to a bundle in the front left corner of the car, above the pedals, where I thought it was the same grey/black wire. Apparently it's not

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
I have a question for those who might know:

If you replace both the hydro unit and its control which I think mounts below the pump unit...can you replace the Mk 20 ABS only unit with the Mk 60 ABS/ASR?

Is the wiring to the unit from the vehicle the same, and would the wiring for a Mk20 ABS support the Mk 60 ABS/ASR?

I have access to the ABS/ASR units from several late production 2001 Golf and Jetta1.8 t's and VR6's but I think they are all Mk 60's.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As I recall looking at the wiring diagrams, Mk 60 and Mk 20 are different connectors. Plus the brake lines are different due to different mountings.

What prices are you seeing for Mk. 60's?

[ September 11, 2002, 06:04: Message edited by: MOGolf ]

Kennedy

Veteran Member
OK,
I'm a little confused.

I have an 02 Jetta GLS automatic. Obviously it has a Mk 60... From what I understand, ESP is not an upgradeable option (without entirely too much work). What other upgrade options do I have? ASR?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Danix,

there are (4) wires to the ASR switch. Two for the LED's and two others.

I can't remember which pins right now, but will look it up tonight.

LED wires: 1 to ground; 1 to dash lights power(so it dims with the other switches)

ASR "Cut off" wires: 1 to a power source(switched with ignition) and the other wire to PIN 15 of the ABS/ASR unit. Ground is handled in the harness for the ABS/ASR unit.

You have to find pin 15; it's in the middle row of connectors second from the end. I believe it's gray. Will verify that for you.

Strip back the insulation and solder or wrap & tape it to the wire. Re-package the harness and plug into control unit of the ASR.

That's it.

Lito

[ September 11, 2002, 14:13: Message edited by: tongsli ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MarkIV, the 1J0 698 417 A is the pump and controller combo that is now listed in ETKA for 2001-2003 Golf Mk 60's with ABS+ASR that is listed when one looks for the pump. Yet, there is separate listing of controllers for different pumps when looking at the electrical parts.

Jetta's on the other hand have a variety of pump and controller combinations listed in both sections.

The 'VIN' of the vehicle has to be known to correctly identify which one could have been installed for that car.

It starts to get
when you stare at it too long.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Lito, thanks. I have everything except the black/grey wire, which as I mentioned I tried tapping where the bundle enters the car. It's possible that my dash doesn't have the ASR light as it's an early model.
I will check continuity between pin 15 and my tap, but at the moment I can't as a tree narrowly missed falling on me and my daughter today, catching only my hand (!).

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
danix, Got VAG-COM? When I do the output tests on mine, I find my ASR light will light up. Try it and see what you get.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It,s pin 15 gray with black strip. Middle row. look at the unit you took off, the numbers are on it and east to see. MK 20 is a 25 pin the MK 60 is a 47 pin if i remember right. Not interchangeable

MarkIV

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey MOGolf, You've been so graciously helpful with part numbers for a great number of us...for which we thank you. Now, one more for you:

How do the following Mk60 brake-control part numbers from the Bentley CD compare with the part number you mentioned earlier as being available from Impex.

1) 1C0 907 379 C/J ABS
2) 1C0 907 379 D/K ABS/EDL/ASR
3) 1C0 907 379 E/G ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP
4) 1C0 907 379 F/H ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP 4MOTION

Without having yet looked, I assume my '01 Golf GLS Tdi 5-sp has the ABS-only Item #1 as in the listing above.

I'd love to upgrade to Item #2 - ABS/EDL/ASR. Is this the unit that has an indicated availability?

Lastly, is it possible to upgrade further to Item #3 so that I could enjoy ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP? Seems that an upgraded factory wiring harness and the ESP optical gyro module should all be equally plug-'n-play with the top-flight brake controller. (Any ETKA-gurus with screen shots?)

Item #4 is obviously out of reach for us who are on the neglected side of the pond.

Thanks.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I have vagcom and will try that.
I have the 25 pin connector and I found the wire there, I just didn't like the idea of trying to tap it at that connector or cutting into the harness at that point.

Hand is recovered 90%, just a bruise/scrape.
We were very, very fortunate.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dan,

Use one of those Scotch Tap-in connectors, the smaller ones. You know, the ones that come with the alientech device.

You can buy them from Radio Shack. It's a normal stocked item.

L

Magellan01

Veteran Member
I am talking with a guy on Vortex that has a totaled car and is parting it out. He has an ASR switch so he must have the unit (should I ask for the VIN to make sure?). Does he need to only send me the hydro unit with the attached computer or do I need him to also send me some of the lines? Any precautions he should take during removal and shipping?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You only need the Hydro with computer and switch. No lines are needed. the mk 20 has lines coming into the side, the mk60 i believe come into the top of the unit. For shipping see if he can plug the holes up so dirt can,t get in.

[ October 21, 2002, 15:09: Message edited by: Birdman ]