TPMS + new wheels

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
okay I know the answer is somewhere out there but just can't find it. I just bought a 2011 Jetta TDI and still have my 18" Karthoum wheels. My TPMS light is on, of course, there aren't any sensors in my karthoums, what do I need to do, is that something the dealership needs to do or a normal tire shop?
Can the sensors be taken out of my old wheels and installed in my new wheels? I know people have run into this problem before and I know there is a thread on that but I searched and after looking through a couple pages I decided to ask.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
2011 Jetta's do not have sensors, they use the ABS module.

So having said that, just make sure all the tires are properly inflated, open the glove box and there should be a reset button for TPMS. Once its reset then it should be all on.

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
ABS? How does that work? I already reset about 20 times. Whats the pressure it needs to be on

How does it read the pressure if there isnt a sensor in the wheel

Last edited:

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
It uses the ABS sensor to see if one wheel is turning faster then the others. Not sure why you are having issues with this.

"The tire pressure monitor system for all 2011 VW Jetta, Golf, and wagons no longer use temperature/pressure sensors in the wheels but is a calculated value off the ABS sensor. If the wheel senses a decrease in rotating diameter, it assumes that the tire is deflated. This isn't as precise but it's nice because you don't need a second set of sensors for winter wheels and the sensors only last 5-8 years before needing replacement due to the sealed battery"

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/2011-VW-Jetta-TDI-buying-guide-reviews.htm

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Well its been a while since I've checked all 4 wheels they look good, but they might be off. I didn't know they work over abs so I will check in the morning

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
On some ABS monitored systems, if you change the tire size it screws up the TPMS readings as the tire speed doesnt math the expected value
Not sure about canada, but the us mandates tpms on all cars now

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
On some ABS monitored systems, if you change the tire size it screws up the TPMS readings as the tire speed doesnt math the expected value
Not sure about canada, but the us mandates tpms on all cars now

Don, not true assuming the same size wheel/tire is on each corner of the car. The ABS system is just looking for a differential in rotational speed at each corner.

I suspect the tires have to be brought up to appropriate pressure and the system then gets reset.

sydneycb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
my winter tire was running low on air, and the car gave no warning. i filled it from 22psi.
I'm thinking we don't have it on the Canadian model. I can't find a reset button on mine so I figure I don't have it.
Anyone know for sure?
Thanks

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Some cars actuall monitor the ABS speeds versus vehicle speed (VSS sensor)
it drove us nuts at the shop! Unfortunately i cant remember the make/model

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
my winter tire was running low on air, and the car gave no warning. i filled it from 22psi.
We do not have the system set-up but with a help of VCDS you can turn it on and you will get a warning!

Now here are your two options, buy the reset switch parts and add it in or just use the VCDS to reset the low tire warning light everytime you get a warning.

I know there are instructions on either here or vortex, i was planning on doing this when it warms up a bit :)

frogman

TDI
2011 Jetta w/Nav/DSG
Just bought my 2011 TDI last week. The car came with 16" diameter wheels, will an 18" with low profile tires fit without rubbing problems?