TPMS Advice Programing

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
2010 VW TDI Jetta Sportwagen DSG.... Confirm sender PN 1K0907253D

I replaced them with tire replacement about 4 yrs ago. The original ones were all working great after 10 yrs. All was good for a year or two.

I have isolated the issue to Front Left Driver side using my Ross Tech cable. I lowered pressure to make sensor come alive and watch measuring blocks. ALL but one sensor was reporting.

I can't figure out how to code or configure to make the light go out. I sometimes get denied with something like "module not initialized". Most of the time I reach a dead end and/or the instructions I'm trying to follow does not match what I see on the laptop;.

• Tried to CLEAR TPMS fault light with no luck.
  • Tried to switch to indirect pressure monitoring with no luck..
  • Tried to turn TPMS off to see if that would kill the light as temp step in troubleshooting with no luck.
  • Checked low pressure limit. Read these can get corrupt. I found a problem awhile back. Reset limits (2.30 Bar); Fill tires to 2.75bar/40PSI.

FINALLY found/isolated the bad sensor using the Ross Tech method of lowing pressure in each tire to below 10PSI to wake it up, and reading the measuring blocks. Wheel 4, Group 10 is not reporting. This is Driver Side, FRONT LEFT. Other 3 corners are working, reading accurately both low and high pressures.

Q: Where to buy TPMS? I recall I got Siemens or VDO TPMS brand last time. I don't think mixing brands is an issue, as long as Freq is 315Mhz.

Tire Rack $54 (brand?)
ECS $51 "Siemens"
ECS $149 "Genuine VW/Audi"
TPMS direct $20 (brand?}
TPMS direct $23 (VW) "Huf IntelliSens"
TPMS com $30 (VW) "Huf IntelliSens"
FCP Euro $46 "VDO"
Amazon $17 STAYTOP
(Some show mounting hardware, plan on re-using existing hardware. Mounting hardware $8-$10; shipping and tax not included.)

The plan is replace the one Front Left sensor. HOWEVER if there is something else I should check first let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Thats weird. The 11 thru 14 (mk6) reads tire pressure variance thru ABS wheel sensor input. Does the 10 (mk5) have actual sensors in the wheel like the rest of the world?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats weird. The 11 thru 14 (mk6) reads tire pressure variance thru ABS wheel sensor input. Does the 10 (mk5) have actual sensors in the wheel like the rest of the world?
There is nothing weird.... My 2010 JSW TDI DSG came with DIRECT reading TPMS since day one. VW went to indirect reading on later years. That is well known. It is just a fact no weirdness. The Direct TPMS sensors are better but also a maintenance issue. My original ones were going strong after 10 years. It was one replacement that went TU after a year or so. It's not communicating it has to come out.

You can apparently code to go from direct TPMS to ABS indirect TPMS reading method. It will not have the RESET button in glove box. You have two choices to reset with VAGCOM cable or wire in a reset button. I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. I can fix my Direct TPMS, I will. Pretty sure I will be successful. I am just looking for advice on buying a sensor and any other things I can do... no weirdness.

I am going to replace the TPMS sensor Front Left now that I isolated the fault.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
O.k. didnt mean "weird" but different than the 11 mk6 I was familiar with. I didnt like it. It always set if you towed anything.

ShelbyRazorback

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT (traded in). None at the moment.
I thought 2012 was first year of reading from ABS sensors if I remember correctly. At least that's how it is on my 2012 Golf.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Tried to turn TPMS off to see if that would kill the light as temp step in troubleshooting with no luck.
This alone makes it seem like perhaps a step is getting missed I'm terms of adjusting the long coding. I was able to change my 2010 golf from direct to indirect.

Think I followed the ross tech instructions:
https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/5118/ but there is also good discussion in https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/going-to-try-indirect-tpms-on-an-09.301756/

Pretty sure I disabled the direct monitoring first, prior to enabling the indirect method. Could be worth trying again - I prefer the indirect as it's one less reason to have to go to the tire shop

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Those sensors suck.
Which Sensors Suck? Siemens, VDO, "VW / Audi made in France".... It is not rocket surgery or brain engineering. Ha ha. It is pressure probe, micro processor with RF transmitter, battery. Like I said the originals were still working at 10 years. Please I am all ears....

I am going to buy something and see if I can get the light to go out. It is seems clear front left sensor is not being detected. I like the direct method and if I can get it working great. If not... well then I will have to get the black electrical tape out to cover the light. ha ha.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sorry, the idea of the sensors in the first place. It sucks. The ABS indirect system is far less of a pain, and allows you to actually set the pressures where you want, not "full load only" as how the systems with the sensors force you to do. Not to mention the indirect system doesn't have the parts to fail (aside from the button, which I guess *could* fail, but I've never known one to).

So far, VAG, Mazda, and Honda are the only ones to rid themselves of these stupid sensors, but I think Nissan will be soon as well.