ToYotdi plus sAs

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota

Here is how the starter looks installed, there is descent clearance between the turbo and starter, but the stock passat engine mount doesn't fit anymore.

Anyone know the part number for IMI starter (clockable)

We are back in session so this project should move a bit faster again!

Soon I will need wiring advice too

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
AP .... on my swap i used a 3rz "cold climate" tacoma starter but had to add a tab to the bellhousing for starter mounting ... this allows use of the passat mount with only very minor clearancing

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
Thanks Jimbote, I'm considering that option. I may just make a custom engine mount. In fact i built a small jig. I'm going to try and make a really nice one since the passat mount is so lightweight and nice... (feels like a shame to replace with some ugly welded up structural steel monstrosity).

No matter which link I post from Photobucket all I can get is thumbsize photos.

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
Thanks Jimbote, I saw in another thread that you were selling high steer parts, still available?

Im thinking the cold climate starter may not work for my motor since I made my own adapter plate. My adapter plate ( as far as i know) has more motor angle. The bolt holes are definately a few degrees different than ACME.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
the high steer parts are gone, traded for some tranny parts to make my adapter plate centering jig .... yeah, if your engine is laid over more to the turbo side then the 3rz starter won't work with the passat mount ...

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota

I decided to fabricate an engine mount. Spent a bit of time on it last evening- here's how far I got.

I wanted to make it nearly as lightweight as the passat mount. (every bit counts) basically didn't want some structural steel monstrosity with chicken poop welds on it.

Test fitting on the block. Seems to clear everything.

Doesn't look like it from this angle but there's plenty enough room to remove and install a factory toyota starter!! bonus. We will see if that changes once its finished with all the gussets.

Last edited:

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
The V6 starter from a 3.4 is a bit shorter than the 3.0 starter. Only issue is the bottom hole needs to be enlarged, as the starter needs to move in some on the bottom bolt hole, so it properly engages the starter to flywheel.

I'm running this on my V6 trans, with a stock position VNT17/22 turbo. Its tight, but fits.

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
little update, truck is almost on its own feet again.

Solid Axle Swap almost completed.

Still left is mounting the front leaf spring perches, hooking up steering to IFS box. Anybody have any high steer parts for a toyota msg me?

-Front brakes and brake lines,
-Shock hoops Any recommendations on el cheapo shocks for a moderate height toyota sas

-engine mount completed almost ready to slip the motor into the truck.
-wiring still.-sitting in a big box half simplified harness. fun...

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
Ok, the engine mount is complete,

It should be ready to go into the truck this week!

I filled it with oil and new filter ( Liqui Moly 5w40)
then I sprayed some sensor cleaner in and fired it up for the first time since I had the motor.
Sounds super crisp and even.!!!

Here you can see the clearance between the starter and mount. I haven't tested yet, but the starter should be able to come out with the mount installed.

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
Sorry for no updates, I have many renovations and a couple kiddos who deserve my time more than truck... but it is getting further along all the time.

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
I decided to center the engine between the frame rails ( just like toyota motor is) and it is pretty well the same height also.
(about 6.5" from the bottom of the frame rail to center of crankshaft)

I had to switch my accessory bracket from a 2.0 PD passat to one from a 1.9 jetta PD

I had to cut it like this to clear the engine mount

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota

transfer box is nicely mounted.

My toyota came with a welded on transmission cross member. I cut it off and bolted the r150 cross member from an 89 4runner.
Luckily 2 of the bolt holes were already punched in the frame; they served as nice reference holes.

Is it normal for the front driveshaft to be exactly the right size?

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
Today's project was an engine mount for the drivers side.

You can see I used all 4 of the factory Passat mounting holes (not sure if they are present on other tdi's )

couple big holes to make it super light and rad.

next is the passenger side mount. Then I can release the jig.