Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
road trip and dyno run...

drove from NC to socal, northern cali, las vegas, flagstaff and currently on the way back home.... only real trouble is posted below

on the side of 40 just outside knoxville.... fuel pump relay put me out for a few ;)

notice only smaller section of coil is toasted .... hmmmm, what could be causing this? .... two failures in 30k miles :confused:

a quick google search clued me in to my critical error

i had only wired the smaller section of coil to operate the fuel pump, this caused the coil to overheat thus melting the relay, when that happened it shorted out my fuel stop circuit causing engine shut down, a quick jumper between the two coils insured both were operating the plunger and now the relay runs nice and cool

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
dyno....

met up with mike (vwmikel of tdtuning) in las vegas

Doug of doug's dyno power

best of a few runs

166hp, 273tq at the wheels, with my current hardware i have more room for bigger numbers but i'm pretty sure it would erase all the safety factor my clutch has, maybe after a hybrid disc upgrade i'll have it remapped for more oomph :)

Last edited:

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
What is your rpm at 65 -70 mph? Mpg pre 4.10 gears? And you say 34 mpg with 4.10's? Nice swap. Did they make crew cabs in though years too?
Thanks,
Deo

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
What is your rpm at 65 -70 mph? Mpg pre 4.10 gears? And you say 34 mpg with 4.10's? Nice swap. Did they make crew cabs in though years too?
Thanks,
Deo
around 2200-2300 rpm .... mpg stayed in the low thirties when i switched to the 4.10's (still taking into consideration the odo change)...but the new more aggressive goodyear wranglers seemed to drop my mileage some ... no crew cabs until MY 2001 tacoma

Mykl8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI 5spd, 2015 Jetta TDI Highline DSG

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Hey Jim, just re-read this whole thread over the last few days!
What did you end up doing with the shifter and trans mount since you moved everything forward?

I am currently prepping to use a 1992 B2600i for a swap B1900TDI? :p, considering a Tacoma though.
Prep and repair thread http://www.mazdatrucking.com/forum/showthread.php/14719-Transmission-compatibility-durability
i dig the color man :).... i think the the mazda would be a great swap candidate ... what trans does that truck have ?... on the taco i simply cut a square plate that bolted to the crossmember that allowed the trans mount to sit farther forward... the in cab shifter location change is hardly noticable but i did have relocate the bellows shift boot forward about an inch and notch the front of the shifter hole about 1/2" to clear the shift tower... just be aware if you go with a tacoma and use acme's plate you will need to do some work to correct a fatal alignment flaw, if you ignore the flaw it will come back to haunt you later... if i had to do over i'd go with one of evguy's adapters and jayinspaceman is begining to make quality 22r>tdi plates that are bang on accurate first time ... just trying to save you from future headaches ;).... required reading > http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=429695

Last edited:

Mykl8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI 5spd, 2015 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Clearcoat is peeling in some places, mostly on the hood. Not my first pick for the colour but its growing on me. We call it the Yellow B

It has a Mazda "R" trans used in the B2600i, Turbo RX7, and the MPV. There is a smaller "M" trans used in the N/A RX7, B2000/2200, and Miata. The "R" is quite beefy and there are a lot of high HP RX7s out there. Good trans pics here

There are also crosses between the diffs as well, the "R" trans cars/trucks got a 8" rear that's mostly interchangeable and the "M" trans cars have a 7" diff that's also used in the front of the 4x4 trucks. A few options for pozi and LSDs from the RX7 community, barely any aftermarket parts for the B compared to a Toyota.

I already cut the tunnel out to convert my truck from a auto to a manual plus I "should" have enough firewall clearance for the vacuum pump and a auto coolant flange.

There aren't any adapter options for the Mazda that's why I was looking into Toyotas. Plus the fact that I can get a 2000+ that has all the extras. Although, I'm leaning toward getting a machinist I know make me an adapter plate I just have to find a RX7 transmission on the cheap. The transfer case just replaces the tail housing and the bellhousing is even removable, I would be going with a RX7 bell anyway because the starter position faces towards the trans like the 02J. I cant find Diffs to drop my highway RPM but if I use a RX7 trans and bump up my tire size to a 30x9.5R15 my RPM will be exactly the same as the Jetta.
The only thing I'm really concerned about is the cranking power on the RX7 starter. I don't know but I would imagine a rotary would require much less starting torque than our TDIs?

I've been researching and reading and searching some more on TDI swaps for 4 years or more. I would LOVE to get my hands on a 5 or 6 cyl TDI, I think that would be a better option for a small truck instead of highly modifying a smaller one. But you use what you can get your grabbies on and the ALH/BEW engines are everywhere, not to mention how awesome they are!

Enough blabbering from me! TMI?

Mike

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
intake upgrade time ! :)

modified BRM intake with custom machined welded racepipe .... thanks Daniel !

old ALH mani removed and waiting for the pd unit

installed and ready for hookup...MORE BEEFY !!! ARGGGGHH!!!! :D

all done !!
initial impressions: the little dip in boost as my gauge approached 12 psi is gone and it seems to rev a bit freer above 3k rpm .... gonna put some more miles on it today and hopefully pick up on some more subtle impressions ;) .... next upgrade will be ditching the open cone filter for an explorer cannister style setup with a VR maf and larger TIP hoses ... (can't wait !)

Last edited:

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
How has the the new clutch been holding together after piecing together your own and centering the bellhousing? Any slippage?

SteelVisions

TDI
2005 BHW
Okay, help needed. Did you actually get this running? I have a 2.0 from a 2005 Passat GLX wagon, wanting to install into my Baja. No one can reprogram the ECU for me, in fact I've been told it is impossible to do because of the Canbus programming. I have a lot of money invested in the engine, adapter, starter and clutch, but now this. I was told yesterday that the ONLY options I have are to run the entire body harness with lights, power windows, A/C and heater, gauges and rollover features. Without it all, my engine won't start. (Probably means I need the key fob as well). OR, I can spend $2,500.00 on a stand alone unit (allegedly the only one made for TDI) from New Zealand, with no guarantee's to work.

Please help anyway you can!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
steelvisions:.... of course you run standalone on the BHW... whoever you're talking to is uninformed... get in touch with tdtuning or malone to have your ecm immobilizer defeated ... i can build your harness if you're interested

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
latest mod....

got rid of the open cone in favor of a modified explorer 5.0 filter cannister ... this involved cutting down the clean air side and gluing it back together

using a W8 MAF but still running a map based tune .... hoping to have it tuned for MAF sometime soon.... anyone have an opinion in MAF vs MAP ?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Either can give you good boost control with the right tuning but running a random maf with bigger injectors means you have to recalibrate the whole map again for it to work correctly. You're going to need a wideband sensor and log maf and wideband simultaneously over the entire load and rpm range numerous times....

What I'm saying is that you'll never get it perfect, especially email road tuning.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
How well does she tow? What gears do you have again?

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
What's up with that canvas canopy? Never seen one before. How's it work?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
What's up with that canvas canopy? Never seen one before. How's it work?
it's a softopper.... same company makes tops for jeeps as well as other trucks, bought mine secondhand but in nearly new shape... owned the other brand "bestop" for a few years and softopper is, imo, far and above superior... i can roll up the sides and the back, release two tensioning straps and fold the whole thing forward out of the way when loading larger items
http://www.softopper.com/toyota

Last edited:

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
That's good to hear,was there ever a point at which you were disappointed
or felt like it didn't perform as you imagined?
I am still at that point and slowly working the bugs out one by one.