Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Tach output discovery!!!

OK...when I first built my harness to do the ALH floor start I identified the wire I suspected of being a tach output wire.... green/brown @pin 27 of 121...my ecm is of Y2K vintage ...well I checked AC output voltage at that wire with my meter it was reading 7.2VAC...so I took a leap of faith (or stupidity) and brushed it against the tach input to the cluster while the truck was running....the needle jumped...so I twisted the two wires together and blipped the throttle....it worked!!!:cool:...I have tach now by just connecting the green/brown pin 27 from the ECM to the black tach input to the toy cluster....appears ALL 121pin ecm's have this wire, same color same pin location.....also hooked up my boost and egt gauges as well as oil pressure light (idiot:rolleyes:) and the temp gauge using the Toy temp sending unit ...EDIT!!...actually SDturbo is the one who gave me the idea for this in his Volvo wagon swap but iirc he was using a 1Z/AHU so a different ECM that does not use canbus for the tach....thanks SD!!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Jimmy, according to my notes (footed to the Bentley wiring schematics), the ECU 121/27 wire goes to the T32/11 (blue side of cluster) through April 2002. This info is a triple *** in the Bentley Manual.

The wiring harness I have (Mr. GutWrenches), 2002, does not have that circuit. The wire is gr-br (green-brown) from the 121/27 as you indicated. That wire goes to the 10-pin Orange connector from the ECU, main harness.........however, the circuit stops there....no wire out of the Orange connector on to the Cluster!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
OK I think my plan is to use the ALH rear facing pan bosses...attach my mount to that via a 3/8" plate...drop down about 2" below the pan and run an adjustable torque link between the bracket and the passenger side frame rail...hows that sound?:D
Sounds like a plan!

Pitch, yaw, roll. They describe the same rotation about an axis on an engine as well. Fore-aft would be translation along the x-axis (crankshaft centerline). More than you ever wanted to know about engine motion terminology? :eek:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Jimmy, according to my notes (footed to the Bentley wiring schematics), the ECU 121/27 wire goes to the T32/11 (blue side of cluster) through April 2002. This info is a triple *** in the Bentley Manual.

The wiring harness I have (Mr. GutWrenches), 2002, does not have that circuit. The wire is gr-br (green-brown) from the 121/27 as you indicated. That wire goes to the 10-pin Orange connector from the ECU, main harness.........however, the circuit stops there....no wire out of the Orange connector on to the Cluster!
hmmm interesting....my Bentley states from sept 2001....and If I had to guess that pin on your ecm will still run a tach...but it may be that CAN also sends a coded tach signal to the cluster in your harness...another wire I'm very curious about is the grey/white wire on pin 16 ....same color as the K line wire but goes to the cluster instead of the DLC....I suspect I can get a CEL from that one...but I've been plenty wrong before :rolleyes: ..."edit"...yep I'm probably 100% wrong....

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
just wanted to say I drove the truck home tonight....spaghetti trainwreck in the passenger floorboard and under the hood...but the thing ran awesome....nice diesel clatter under light load....reminded me of a mini cummins....nice torque and pickup....just need to address the take off jump/shudder....I'm loading a vid of the first test drive right now...but looks like it may take 10 hrs at 54mbps :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Hey Andy....look at white with blue wire pin 24 of 121...then check out pin 43 on the old 80 pin ecm ...also white with blue and goes to the CEL in the cluster...on the 121 ecm it stops dead in the 10 pin white connector....I'm gonna probe it and find out!!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Man, I been cutting on the ALH Cluster and the Vanagon Cluster Housing............ nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking-chairs! This part of the project gives you only one chance to get it right!

I'll look into the wiring stuff later! I've been using a Bentley 1999 thru 2005 Edition!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Man, I been cutting on the ALH Cluster and the Vanagon Cluster Housing............ nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking-chairs! This part of the project gives you only one chance to get it right!

I'll look into the wiring stuff later! I've been using a Bentley 1999 thru 2005 Edition!
Ha ha...I guess if you screw that up your clusterf***** :D

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only in KY

Nice. I imagine this is something you'd only hear in KY.:)
Yeah, I guess so! Seems I heard that a long time ago.......maybe in a red-neck bar!:D

Another one........nervous as a *hore in church! That's an old one too. But, I doubt I heard it in a church or bar...LOL

Well, anytime I'm working on something that only offers a "one-shot" opportunity it makes me nervous as hell!........like Jimmy said, I do not want to get ClusterF***ed!

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to finish the job today....but, tomorrow here I come!

Dang, Jimmy, I'd sure like to see that TDI YO running!

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Yeah, I guess so! Seems I heard that a long time ago.......maybe in a red-neck bar!:D

Another one........nervous as a *hore in church! That's an old one too. But, I doubt I heard it in a church or bar...LOL

Well, anytime I'm working on something that only offers a "one-shot" opportunity it makes me nervous as hell!........like Jimmy said, I do not want to get ClusterF***ed!

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to finish the job today....but, tomorrow here I come!

Dang, Jimmy, I'd sure like to see that TDI YO running!
yah....tried to upload my 12 minute first test drive vid.....but after 8hrs and 80% complete I had to take my comp with me and cancel....I'll give it another shot this weekend when I don't need it for vagcom:rolleyes: ....git that cluster dun man...you got trips to make!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
24 of 121 ...MIL found!!

OK did some testing this morning and found the MIL output for my Y2K 121 pin ecm....pin 24 white with blue wire is the the MIL pin...I tested it with a ohmeter first for continuity then with a 12v led (resistor already built in) ...then with vagcom in output tests (it's the last test in the series) ...however I have an issue with the led always staying dimly lit...it will brighten and dim in output tests but never fully go out:confused: ...any suggestions?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
engine movement...

OK...just drove the truck on it's longest trip yet...about 20miles one way to my buddy Alex's in pittsboro it performed awesome!!....when I got there we we worked together trying to decipher the engine movement issue...so I stood on the bumper while he slowly took off in forward and reverse.....it appears almost all the movement is front to rear:confused: ....of course the engine is on rubber mounts so once it starts its like a bouncy ball back and forth....I think I need a front to rear torque strut:rolleyes:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Take it easy on it til you sort out the motion on the mounts.

One trick for sorting out mounts is to put in gear with engine off and brake off and push truck back and forth while watching mounts. Does not matter which gear.

fwd aft motion seems weird. Would not expect that.

One trick for clutch shudder is to sorta clean it off. Put in fifth, handbrake on, let out clutch and rev to 2000 and load up engine for a five sec or so, this will burn off any oil film off clutch hardware and can get rid of some shudder.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
definately taking it easy...not jamming it all...yeah the motion is unexpected, but it's there...as far as the cause I'm currently clueless....I'll try the fifth gear thing....the flywheel I used was not resurfaced so this could be a contributing factor....although even with the clutch fully engaged the motion will still present itself much like water sloshing in a tub:rolleyes:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jimbote,

How did you address the coolant circulation of the TDI engine? With the engine sitting in the Jetta, coolant always flows thru the heater core.......... no valve. I'm assuming that there has to be a method to maintain that flow........and, you need to be able to tap it for heat!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Jimbote,

How did you address the coolant circulation of the TDI engine? With the engine sitting in the Jetta, coolant always flows thru the heater core.......... no valve. I'm assuming that there has to be a method to maintain that flow........and, you need to be able to tap it for heat!
well I used the toyota heater control valve and yes I can turn it off....no need for the coolant to circulate through the core all the time....the engine will just heat up a bit quicker and the t stat will open sooner opening the channel through the rad. ....keep in mind too that the coolant is always circulating through the oil cooler whether the t'stat is open or not ....on my swap due the the layout of the toy heater core VS the coolant pipes on the TDI, I did weld a nipple onto the water outlet so I wouldnt have to loop a heater hose around the back of the engine ....

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow! That makes sense! ...........dugh! The flow is always there as you said via the oil cooler/warmer and as well as thru the expansion tank, although not a lot of volume! And, as you stated, the T-stat will take care of the rest!

I've been siphering thru several different Bentleys tonight. I noticed the "direction of coolant flow" was wrong in several of the drawings......same identical drawing in a different manual but some of the arrows had the coolant flow going the opposite direction! Example: one drawing had the coolant "going to" the expansion tank thru both hoses!

A4-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
yep a few...just got around to working on some details today...decided to go with a BHW 2.0l bottom end, with an ALH head, BHW turbo and manifold and passat B5.5 mounts, a few issues have to be dealt with to use this combination so here are a few pics:)

this is the passenger side mount to starter clearance, I had to grind slightly for the 3rz starter motor to clear....about 1/8 of an inch

another view

and another

this is the drivers side B5.5 mount and the ALH IP bracket...notice the "wedge" I removed for clearance here (a little sloppy:eek:) can't wait to get a plasma!!...alternator still clears the B5.5 mount with plenty of room (no pic of that)

this is the front seal holder for the ALH against the BHW block...notice the much larger bolt pattern for the bhw seal holder...I can either drill and tap four holes in the block (the bottom two already mate up) to match the ALH part or I can mill the BHW holder to match the ALH thickness...probably go with the latter...:)

Please don't do the same mistake as I done before... Swapped a TDI in a Audi A4 (longitudinal) and the 'wedge' you removed on the IP bracket weakens the bracket. I had a problem with this, the bracket broken between the 2 alternator bolts, the bolts from the broken part under the alternator loosens (I dont have used locktite for the bolts...) and I lost the serpentine belt 6 months after the swap!
I done a 'brace' bracket from the read powersteering pump bolt to the a/c compressor bolt, and installed all IP bracket bolts with locktite!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Please don't do the same mistake as I done before... Swapped a TDI in a Audi A4 (longitudinal) and the 'wedge' you removed on the IP bracket weakens the bracket. I had a problem with this, the bracket broken between the 2 alternator bolts, the bolts from the broken part under the alternator loosens (I dont have used locktite for the bolts...) and I lost the serpentine belt 6 months after the swap!
I done a 'brace' bracket from the read powersteering pump bolt to the a/c compressor bolt, and installed all IP bracket bolts with locktite!
thanks...I ended up not going with this setup at all and used an unmodified ALH IP bracket.....If I were to go again with the side mounts I will weld a reinforcement plate to the modded IP bracket as per your advice:)

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
did you say you were going to revisit the mounts for less vibs?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Alternator wiring...

one interesting thing I found out (by total dumb luck of course:D) ...was that the VW alternator only needs the large power wire to charge!! ...when I wired the alternator I interfaced the small VW two wire connector to the toy harness by simply connecting one wire to ground and the other to the toyota alt lamp wire....the large alt wire is powered via the VW fuse box (the one on top of the batt) ...well apparently I forgot to plug in the small alt 2 wire connector...cranked the truck and checked charge output @ 14.4 volts :) ...I noticed I had no batt light before cranking...no worries as it was charging great!!...well today I was checking clearance for new mounts and saw the connector unplugged:eek: ...plugged it in and now I have the battery symbol (key on before cranking) and it goes off just after engine start!!...so does this thing work like a GM marine alternator or what:rolleyes:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Alternator wires

one interesting thing I found out (by total dumb luck of course:D) ...was that the VW alternator only needs the large power wire to charge!! ...when I wired the alternator I interfaced the small VW two wire connector to the toy harness by simply connecting one wire to ground and the other to the toyota alt lamp wire....the large alt wire is powered via the VW fuse box (the one on top of the batt) ...well apparently I forgot to plug in the small alt 2 wire connector...cranked the truck and checked charge output @ 14.4 volts :) ...I noticed I had no batt light before cranking...no worries as it was charging great!!...well today I was checking clearance for new mounts and saw the connector unplugged:eek: ...plugged it in and now I have the battery symbol (key on before cranking) and it goes off just after engine start!!...so does this thing work like a GM marine alternator or what:rolleyes:
Several years ago, I converted my 1952 model Ford 8N tractor from a 6 volt to a 12 volt. I used a Chysler voltage regulator....one wire and the body I guess served as the ground. Later my dad installed a single wire Alt which requires a one time high rev of the engine to "cause" it to kick-in and commence generating current...shows on the amp gauge. It must work okay, cause that VW style battery has been in there for about 5 years!:D

So, as what someone said, "what works, Works."

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Several years ago, I converted my 1952 model Ford 8N tractor from a 6 volt to a 12 volt. I used a Chysler voltage regulator....one wire and the body I guess served as the ground. Later my dad installed a single wire Alt which requires a one time high rev of the engine to "cause" it to kick-in and commence generating current...shows on the amp gauge. It must work okay, cause that VW style battery has been in there for about 5 years!:D

So, as what someone said, "what works, Works."
yup...it works :) ....I know my old rabbit alt. worked that way...would not charge until you "blipped" the throttle

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Very nice, I'm impressed. My Uncle wants me to do one of these swaps for him (less the hybrid engine), not sure if I want to go through all that for him though:).
With the alternator and the excite wire, they are designed to self excite once it is reved up past a certain rpms (I don't know why yours excited without blipping the throttle).

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Very nice, I'm impressed. My Uncle wants me to do one of these swaps for him (less the hybrid engine), not sure if I want to go through all that for him though:).
With the alternator and the excite wire, they are designed to self excite once it is reved up past a certain rpms (I don't know why yours excited without blipping the throttle).

ha yah...I don't know if I could do another one myself:rolleyes: ...but maybe the second time around would be easier

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
31.7 MPG!!! Woo hoo!!

just checked my FE this morning...filled up thurs. morning....drove to raleigh up and down 1010...401...wake forest and back home....was doing mostly 70-75mph on US1 ....filled up again this morning odometer (corrected) @141.9 miles....total fuel...(to the top no foam liquid) ....4.475 gallons....calculated mileage 31.7!! ....I also used the same diesel pump as when I started....better than I expected for a first try....must be the pump/injector combo as I'm getting almost no smoke...but the torque/power is excellent!:D