Toyota Integra TDI

dennis1a4

TDI
Toyota Integra TDI
Hello everyone,
First off I'd like to say thanks for all the information on this site. I use it all the time. I've been lurking on this site for a while now, gathering information for my build. I'm at a point now where I would like to share what I've completed so far. My build is more then just a engine conversion, it's more like a complete vehicle build. Because of this it doesn't fit perfectly on any one forum so I decided to make my own site to document the build.
Toyota Integra TDI
Here's a photo chop to get an idea what it will look like.

The basics of what I'm doing is building a car using a Toyota 4Runner frame with a TDI engine and an Acura Integra body. The goal is to make a car that gets good fuel mileage for commuting while still being off-road capable. Check out my site for lots of build description and hundreds of high resolution photos. There's even a forum if you want to ask questions or have suggestions. Or you can just post here. I'll be updating this thread when ever I update my site.
I welcome any questions or suggestions. Here are a couple of photos to get you interested.

I've enjoyed reading the builds on this site. I hope you can enjoy reading mine.
-Dennis

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
One of the ODDEST swaps in this forum EVER. I liked looking at your build page. Please post up here where there are new updates to view :)

Jethro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9
I agree. VERY odd swap. Very interested to see it as it progresses.
I am pondering swapping a 4BT into my 1500 Ram. But that's super 'common' compared.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Because a 4Runner has the aerodynamics of a brick and I'm trying to build something that will get good highway fuel mileage. That and I like to be different :)
Different is better but I doubt 35 inch tires will be more aerodynamic with an Acura body.

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
Wwjd

The Golgotha decal on the door is REALLY a nice touch.

WWJD - What Would Jesus Drive?

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I've never heard of putting a uni-body on a frame. I can't imagine how you'd fab the body mounts. A truck is designed to take the entire weight of the body and engine on a few, very strong points. A unibody is totally different.

Way back I got inspired to put a Volvo 544 body on a Jeep chassis (exact same wheelbase), but came to my senses. At least that was a body/frame to body/frame swap, but it still would have been a "challenge".

Good luck!

Edit to add: I didn't realize you were well into this project, and had already gotten past the frame challenge. Looks like you are quite the fab guru!

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
When I first read your post I though this was purely in the planning stages. I see a lot of those here with no follow-though. Then I saw your build pages... very nice. Now that the Saturn TDI is pretty much wrapped up elsewhere here, this is my favorite conversion!

rockwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I've never heard of putting a uni-body on a frame. I can't imagine how you'd fab the body mounts. A truck is designed to take the entire weight of the body and engine on a few, very strong points. A unibody is totally different.

Way back I got inspired to put a Volvo 544 body on a Jeep chassis (exact same wheelbase), but came to my senses. At least that was a body/frame to body/frame swap, but it still would have been a "challenge".

Good luck!

Edit to add: I didn't realize you were well into this project, and had already gotten past the frame challenge. Looks like you are quite the fab guru!
Yep. A unibody, properly beefed at the mounting points (or using the stock front and rear subframe mounts) would be stronger than the body on a truck, which back in the day was primarily designed to keep you out of the wind and dry.

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Pretty cool! Reminds me of the '72 Cadillac a friend of mine put on a Suburban chassis/diesel drivetrain years ago. He sold it before he got it fully sorted out, but it was a pretty neat ride!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Any Updates that you care to post here?

dennis1a4

TDI
Toyota Integra TDI
Not too much. I'm still trying to get the IP primed. I don't know what the problem is, I just don't get any fuel out of the injectors. But I've got a CAT 2 micron filter set up to install and a seal kit for the IP so I'm thinking one of those will fix it. Just need time to install them. Summer is a busy time :)

I also got some new rubber on it. 33x12.5x15" Goodyear DuraTrac. Gives the car a more aggressive look while setting my gearing to where I want it. I'll see if I can some new pics up soon.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try using a small jug or funnel of fuel with the return line dumping into the top.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
I had huge problems priming my pump as well and eventually just bought a hand vacuum pump. Just pull a vacuum on the return line and crack the lines and crank as you normally would. I think i had my truck running in less than 10 minutes opposed to the hours i spent trying to prime it before.

dennis1a4

TDI
Toyota Integra TDI
Don't worry, I've got a hand vacuum pump and pulled fuel through the pump and in to the return line. Even after this I can't get any fuel out of the cracked injectors. I've cranked the engine over more then I should have to. The engine ran fine before I pulled it a year ago.

I'm thinking either the fuel filter got clogged from sitting around dry or the seals in my pump dried out.

I'm just waiting on a A4 fuel tee and then I can install my CAT 2 micron filter setup. If that doesn't fix it I'm pulling the pump apart to install the new seals I have.

One way or another I will get this thing running :)

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
I had some issues blowing fuses when i was first starting my truck. I could crank all day but there was no fuel being injected. Just another thing to check as i know the feeling.

Luke

dennis1a4

TDI
Toyota Integra TDI
I've got 12 volts at the fuel cut off solenoid when I'm cranking. And when I jump 12 volts to it I can hear it click to I assume it's working. I haven't taken it apart to confirm it yet.

Thanks for the help guys. If you've got more suggestions let me know. There's a chance I've missed something obvious.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Just remove the plunger from the stop solenoid all together if you want a surefire way to make sure that's not causing any issues.

dennis1a4

TDI
Toyota Integra TDI
It looks even better with the new 33" DuraTracs I've got on it now :D I'll see if I can get some pics up soon.

The timing belt is done. Injector pump seals (3 common ones) replaced. And Cat 2 micron fuel filter installed.

This weekend I'm installing BMK23 Amsoil bypass oil system.

@NarfBLAST, embed as many pictures as you want, I've got unlimited bandwidth with Go Daddy

And thanks for the complements everyone :)

Last edited: