Toyota FJ Cruiser down, '09 TDI Wagen back

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
It's official, I got out of a lease on my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser and bought the TDI Sportwagen. Since I had to drive from Yellowknife NWT to Calgary to pick it up I thought it would be cool to log the real world difference in gas mileage. Here's what my trip looked like going down in the FJ:
Full Tank - Yellowknife - FJ Cruiser
1. Fort Providencej, NT = 318 k, 46.8 litres, $56.25
2. High Level, AB = 404 k, 57.46 litres, $56.25
3. Peace River = 285 k, 36.8 litres, $37.50
4. Whitecourt = 307 k, 36.6 litres, $38.05
5. Red Deer, AB =326 k, 52.0 litres, $53.01

Totals: Km travelled = 1640. Litres = 229.64. $ = $238.10

I stopped with Red Deer, AB because I knew I would be doing a lot of running around in Calgary. When coming back, I filled up the Wagon at the same station in Red Deer coming back.

Full Tank - Red Deer - '09 Jetta TDI Wagon
1. Peace River = 678 k, 36.4 litres, $28.01
2. High Level = 293 k, 26 litres, $19.50
3. Yellowknife = 731 k, 47.2 litres, $41.00

Totals: Km travelled = 1702, Litres = 109.6. $ = $83.50

Not exactly scientific but I sure found the numbers interesting. I drove pretty easy the first fill in Red Deer to High Level, but after reading the break in thread, I really started to push the TDI. The effects are really evident in the numbers. On the middle tank of diesel, I had the TDI easily clipping along at 180 + at about 3200 rpm. It was great, easily flying through gradual turns. Throughout this section of what was essentially deserted secondary highway I had it up to 180, 160, 140, 120 and up again. It was a blast. I felt it could have gone faster. I took a different route back that utilized secondary routes because I knew I could open it up without worrying about RCMP as much.

I noticed the dramatic effect this had on gas mileage, so I drove the speed limit from High Level to Yellowknife, watching the fuel usage. Luckily, I just managed to make it across the ice bridge on the Mackenzie River (closed to passenger vehicles today). But my gas mileage would be a bit skewed because I stopped about 200 k out of Yellowknife to sleep, and would idle the car to warm me up throughout the night. At one point I was so tired I started it and fell asleep. Not sure how long it ran before I discovered it and switched it off. The Northern Lights were spectacular last night, by the way.

Anyway, I hope my break in technique so far was okay, maybe Drivebywire can comment? It seems to be running perfect, the transmission is awesome (DSG), and I used Sport mode to pass vehicles aggressively, played around with manual a bit, but mostly kept it in D. Sorry for the long post, hope you folks find it interesting. Love my new car so far.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Dane, welcome to Fred's! The FJ is known to be one of the most offensive vehicles out there when it comes to fuel consumption. I'm not sure any comparison to a TDi is logical. Nearly any vehicle will look like a star.

Doesn't the FJ require PUG?

Good luck with the new car.

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
Thanks very much, after my drive I am super happy I joined the club. Yes, that's why I thought the comparison was funny, FJ to TDI - hah! I thought maybe if someone was thinking about doing a similar swap the actual numbers would help with their decision. After three years with the FJ my wife and I knew that for the time I used it to go out on the ice roads to go fishing, or towing my ski-doo trailor, it just wasn't worth it. It's true there is practically no situation the FJ cruiser couldn't get out of, and I sure tested it, but really an old pickup to get firewood and tow my ski-doo is all I need. For the road trips we are planning, and driving around town, JSW is the only way to go. Really, in the end that is 80 to 90 percent of our driving anyway.

One thing that caught my eye though was there is a plastic cover in the engine compartment, front middle. It sits on top of an air intake (?) of some sort. It was sitting loose under the hood just to the side of where it should have been when I checked the oil for the first time. It really didn't seem to clip back into place properly, like one of the tabs holding it is not right. I put a piece of tape on it to hold it in place. That's the only thing that came up on the trip.

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
Oh, on the PUG yes it calls for it, even has a sticker on the fuel filler door calling for it, but Toyota came out later and said it wasn't necessary to run Premium. I always ran PUG.