towing with a passat TDI

dutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Bora
Thank you very much. I am still not sure if I would be able to tow my 3700 pound trailer with the 2.0l TDI Passat. Anybody in Europe maybe????????

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
If you got a euro receiver/hitch system, ELECTRIC (not surge) brakes on the trailer using a brake controller, and drove on pefectly flat land with a properly balanced load then you *might* get going... 2000lbs is the US rating on a braked trailer. I'm sure you could do somewhere close to 3000lbs with the euro hitch but 3700 is on the pushing it side of things IMHO.

dutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Bora
OK here is the deal.... volkswagen of germany has on their web site the stats of the 2.0 TDI 130 HP engine.
This is what they say.
12% incline, brakes, 1800 kilo's (that is 3980 lbs)
8% incline, brakes, 2000 kilo's (that is 4400 lbs)
tounge weight of 80 and 100 kilo's 176 lbs and 220 lbs.

I think this car can do more then alot of people think and know here in the US.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
OK here is the deal.... volkswagen of germany has on their web site the stats of the 2.0 TDI 130 HP engine.
This is what they say.
12% incline, brakes, 1800 kilo's (that is 3980 lbs)
8% incline, brakes, 2000 kilo's (that is 4400 lbs)
tounge weight of 80 and 100 kilo's 176 lbs and 220 lbs.

I think this car can do more then alot of people think and know here in the US.
most americans are idiots when it comes to towing, and dont know how to drive with a trailer. If you do it right with brakes on the trailer and load the trailer properly so the tounge doesnt have 700 lbs on it, you can probably tow far more than they recommend. brakes and proper weight distribution is key. I tow far more than I should with all of my vehicles, and have never had a problem.

FrankUK

TDI
Passat TDI PD130 SE Reflex Silver
In the UK the deciding figure is the 12% value and the 'train weight'which is stamped on the VIN plate.Exceeding the 12% towing weight would invalidate the manufacturers warranty and exceeding the trainweight would make you liable for prosecution.Hitch downloads are recommended as 7% of trailer weight or manufacturers maximum hitch load.
Frank