Towing Question

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
My wife and I are planning a trip from southwestern Ontario to Halifax this summer. We are planning on driving down through the states to Boston and then up along the coast to Halifax.

We have to move our son back from university and I'm trying to do it as economically as possible. Once we are in Halifax, I was planning on doing a one way rental of a 5x8 Uhaul enclosed trailer (900lbs empty, 1800lbs cap).

We will be putting couple boxes of school books, a twin bed, a few bags of clothes and some framed wall posters. Towing it all back to either Toronto or London approx. 2000kms.

I currently have the rear bumper removed from my 2002 2dr Golf to have the local trailer guy fabricate a custom 2" trailer hitch along the same design as these...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324910

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=455782

The Golf is mostly stock and currently has a stage 1 Malone Tune and 3" exhaust. Before the trip, it will also have a brand new Bully Clutch, Stage 3 tune, .216 nozzles and brand new brakes, rotors and wheel bearings all around.

My questions...

Should I install an EGT gauge or am I being paranoid? Total weight will be under 1500lbs including trailer for sure.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Stage 3 + EGT gauge + fresh brakes + U-Haul's 5x8 box trailer with brakes = easy trip. Just watch the tongue weight. Only other insurance I might suggest is a set of Air Lift 1000 bags in the rear springs, if you think the tongue weight plus any rear seat passenger might be squatting the rear too much.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2861420#post2861420

If you think Halifax to Toronto is a haul, you should see what I put on my 5x8 trailer to haul from Florida to Maine (2000mi). My wife's MkV has a stock tune. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4966499&postcount=2470 I'm ordering bags for the MkV after scraping the hitch numerous times, usually pulling out of fuel stations.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
EGT gauges are a good idea even when not towing. So use towing as a good excuse to get one.

Other than that... You'll be fine. I've pulled 2k lbs on my 2000 jetta with no problems. Just remember braking distances will be greatly increased. I took a 10mpg hit in economy. But that was to be expected.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Thanks for the replies!!

Worked on the Golf again today taking measurements. Doing some milling work tomorrow to the factory bumper mount plates. Not sure if the U-Haul trailer has brakes or not. I'm sure the load won't exceed 1500lbs including trailer. brakes are done, rear wheel bearings done. Car gets new front wheel bearings, clutch, nozzles and tune next week if all goes to plan. McNally EGT/Boost gauge will be on order tomorrow.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The hitch should mount on bars that go into the two pockets under the plates.
If you look in your manual the mounting points are specified in the section under towing.
The bars should look something like this:

The bumper mounts are not as strong and spread out the load as the proper mounting points.
I had to modify one once and used the stock holes in the car as a guide to drill the hole in the bar and then welded the nuts on the back side.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
The hitch should mount on bars that go into the two pockets under the plates.
If you look in your manual the mounting points are specified in the section under towing.

The bumper mounts are not as strong and spread out the load as the proper mounting points.
I had to modify one once and used the stock holes in the car as a guide to drill the hole in the bar and then welded the nuts on the back side.
Yes, I'm designing it much like the Westfalia/Bosal hitch but coming straight out from behind the license plate instead of going down out the bottom.

I'm actually planning on going a step further and using 2.5" x 1/4" angle iron to go down inside the rear floor rail horns and be bolted with grade 8 bolts and nuts that are welded to the angle. I'll be bolting through factory tooling holes in the rail on both the side and the bottom. They will pass through and be welded to the modified rear bumper brackets. The square tubing cross piece will "set" in the angle and be welded in place which will now stick out like the original bumper shocks.

I'll post progress pictures when the project is complete.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Not sure if the U-Haul trailer has brakes or not.
I just looked that brake question up for you. Looks like the hydraulic surge brakes don't start until you hit the U-Haul 5x10 box, sorry for the confusion.

Still looking forward to photos of the hitch.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Yeah, I had another look today as well. I'll be just going with the 5 x 8. I looked into wiring a 5-way harness so I had the brake option but then thought better of it. This is mostly just for my 4x8 utility trailer. The u-haul trailer will be a one time thing.

I have the bumper brackets milled and mocked up with 2x4 cross piece today. I'll be using 2x3x.250 tubing. I ordered a Curt bumper hitch today that will be welded upside down on the 2x3. Picking up steel either tomorrow or next week.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Just be cautious with side winds. Enclosed trailers are like large kites and a jetta inst a very heavy vehicle.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Yes, I'm really hoping the trip will be wind free! Hopefully I'll have just enough weight to keep it stable but not too much to drag the cars butt around.