Towing in Winter, for those that get snow

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
fossill said:
If your planning on sledding in the mountains, forget it. You'll need a 4x4 truck. There's no way in the world my tdi will pull my trailer with sled on it especially up a forestry road hill.
Have you been to Wisconsin?

What mountains is the correct response.:D

Very few hills that I'll have to worry about when I'm towing in the winter.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Yep. The few times I have pulled my trailer up my shop drive it was get a run or forget it. Even with snows....about like a STEEP highway grade.

BlackHawkCE

TDI
none yet, maybe 09 Jetta
3L3M3NT said:
Now would the brake controller work with the Flat 4 or is only with a 7 way style plug?

Who would you recommend I visit to have install the brake controller. What I'm really wondering is who will do a better/neater job?
The flat 4 is only for lighting, the 7 pin connector has the extra pins for the braking system. typically any brake controller will work with any vehicle with any brand of brakes. But most brake manufacturers will often recomend a certain controller. Most anyplace that sales trailers, or hitches can instal a brake controller. As for doing a neater job... i've never been to WI so I have no idea. But most major retailers usually do a good job, sears, autozone, pepboys, etc. Good luck!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
BlackHawkCE said:
The flat 4 is only for lighting, the 7 pin connector has the extra pins for the braking system. typically any brake controller will work with any vehicle with any brand of brakes. But most brake manufacturers will often recomend a certain controller. Most anyplace that sales trailers, or hitches can instal a brake controller. As for doing a neater job... i've never been to WI so I have no idea. But most major retailers usually do a good job, sears, autozone, pepboys, etc. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I was kind of wondering about the 7-pin connector for trailers and if that would be needed if I added a brake controller, so I guess that would answer that question.

I'll have to see what I can come up with.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
3L3M3NT

I tow a snowmobile [640#] on a single open trailer [360#], no trailer brakes, just need to go slower as the roads get worse. I do run (4) Blizzaks.

As to trailer brakes, I question if they would help more than hurt on winter roads. If the trailer brakes are set to high[hard] say for a slushy road, and now on a snow packed icy road, might not the trailer brakes lockup and swing the trailer out sideways. I have not pulled a trailer with electric brakes, so my understanding of how they work in the real world might be misguided.

A covered trailer does keep the sled(s) cleaner. 3L3MN3T you may want to rent an enclosed trailer [ U-Haul ] now, to see how it goes. One would need to check it out but, a 5' x 8' V-nose is deeper then 8'. And if, with the sled in back wards, and the tongue weight is OK, then there would be less trailer weight.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
mctdi said:
3L3M3NT

I tow a snowmobile [640#] on a single open trailer [360#], no trailer brakes, just need to go slower as the roads get worse. I do run (4) Blizzaks.

As to trailer brakes, I question if they would help more than hurt on winter roads. If the trailer brakes are set to high[hard] say for a slushy road, and now on a snow packed icy road, might not the trailer brakes lockup and swing the trailer out sideways. I have not pulled a trailer with electric brakes, so my understanding of how they work in the real world might be misguided.

A covered trailer does keep the sled(s) cleaner. 3L3MN3T you may want to rent an enclosed trailer [ U-Haul ] now, to see how it goes. One would need to check it out but, a 5' x 8' V-nose is deeper then 8'. And if, with the sled in back wards, and the tongue weight is OK, then there would be less trailer weight.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm actually back in Sturgeon Bay for a little while here and I saw a trailer that should be close to what I'm considering and I might ask if they would let me hook on to it once I get my car back up and running. I'll have to ask and see what happens.

I'll post a pic if they'll let me.

thebigtman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
It looks like you've got some good replies so far. Let me through my two cents in here since I'm in the same boat as you. This year I plan to tow my sled with my 06 Jetta TDI. I agree that an open trailer is best but I'm going to try an experiment this year. I drive 800+ miles one way to sled so the fuel savings over a p/u are significant.

I recently picked up a used galvanized boat trailer that is fairly small. It's 5' wide between the axles and the frame is in the shape of a V. I'm going to construct a small lightweight box with a V on the front to follow the contour of the trailer. I will also make the roof follow the general silhouette of the snowmobile (it will be loaded backwards). This will allow for an arrowhead type box. The axle is adjustable so I plan to play with it to find the right amount of tongue weight. The box will only be about 48-52" high b/c I want to reduce the side profile as much as possible.
The dryweight of my mountain sled is 439lbs. I won't carry anything else in the trailer so I hope to keep the whole package under 1200lbs.

I wouldn't be able to use your sort of trailer through the mountains in CO with the Jetta but in WI you could get away with it. However, I would consider a clamshell type trailer since it will be lighter and more aerodynamic. If you're only pulling one sled, buy a used one place triton trailer and construct your own box. It will be cheaper and pull a lot nicer than the big trailer you're thinking of using.

When you're towing anything, you just have to slow down, look around and plan ahead. You can do it but you'll just have to be safer than the average bear.

Good luck,

Tim

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
I think the trailer unloading the drive wheels would be a major problem on hills ,fortunatley there are no hills in wisconsin

last year I couldnt get up one steep corner going up the ski-hill with my almost shot studded hak2's ... after sliding out and sideways for the 10th time I put more weight on the drive wheels by just backing up the hill & around the corner till I could pull a quick 180

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
People have no idea how beastly these diesels are. I'd trust mine to tow 2k anytime. Noooooooot in the snow though.....

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Hey, we need to talk. I would not pull an enclosed trailer on my way to the UP in February, too much wind, be like towing a sail.

I have a beautiful 12' single for my 136" machine, hooks in the back and all.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=289532&view=findpost&p=3660830

It is 400 lbs. My sled weighs 600 dry, holds 11.5 gallons of fuel.

I get ~28MPG at 77MPH over 650 miles round trip. Air bags in the back to keep the car level. The tires stick out an ince on each side of the car, just enough to see them. :D

Jason

thebigtman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
That's a nice trailer!!

dabear95 said:
Hey, we need to talk. I would not pull an enclosed trailer on my way to the UP in February, too much wind, be like towing a sail.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=289532&view=findpost&p=3660830

I get ~28MPG at 77MPH over 650 miles round trip. Air bags in the back to keep the car level. The tires stick out an ince on each side of the car, just enough to see them. :D

Jason

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Thanks man!

Has the 2nd largest upgrade tires and spare (higher load rating). Drives like a dream...

Jason

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
dabear95 said:

Jason
How much does a trailer like that cost? I am very interested in buying one.

phatty

TDI
03 jetta tdi
I tow all winter long in Utah with my 03 TDI 5 speed.

Trailer is a 5x8 weighs about 250 lbs and sled weighs about 550.

Wired the car for the 4 pin flat myself and havent had any problems. Take it slow, i get about 32 mpg pulling this way, but i also have my TDI chipped.

In the summer i pull dirt bikes and get even better fuel milage! love it! Also i have done this for 2 years now with no major problems.

http://my.opera.com/phatty2/albums/show.dml?id=373171

thebigtman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
phatty said:
I tow all winter long in Utah with my 03 TDI 5 speed.

Trailer is a 5x8 weighs about 250 lbs and sled weighs about 550.

Wired the car for the 4 pin flat myself and havent had any problems. Take it slow, i get about 32 mpg pulling this way, but i also have my TDI chipped.

In the summer i pull dirt bikes and get even better fuel milage! love it! Also i have done this for 2 years now with no major problems.

http://my.opera.com/phatty2/albums/show.dml?id=373171
I wondered if you were on here Phatty after I read your post on SW.

Or Turbo Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Passat GLX Wagon, 2003 Jetta
I would keep a set of (cable) chains handy in case you break traction and can't get going. You may want to look into a limited slip diff too.
If you do go with trailer brakes, don't use surge. When you back up and there is resistance (hill, bump) the trailer brakes go on. Use electric brakes, as you can easily turn them off or adjust them from in the cab. I really like the Takonsha electronic unit I have- it ramps up the brake voltage instead of using full amount initailly and possibly skidding.
Try to balance the weight on the trailer with some extra front bias. If you back in the sled to load, it will need to be further towards the front of the trailer than the rear. If there is no forward bias (nuetral or rear bias) in weight when towing, your trailer will strart swaying and can get away (rapidly sway from side to side) until something lets go.
I have towed around #1500 on a light, #500 trailer a short distance w/A3.
I have moved small things w/A3, big loads w/Dodge Cummins.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
3L3M3NT

Most of the suggestions here are good

Good snow tires are a must
Go with the open trailer with a front as the cross winds and aero drag will be a killer with the enclosed
Brakes are a good idea along with a controller to share the traction with 6 wheels instead of 4 for slowing down.
Get a good tow rope/strap - MasterPull makes a good rope for the money - you won't break it with the Jetta on either end of the rope unless you drive over it. You can get one with a hook on one end, the hook will fit on the tow eye's for our cars.
Weight won't be a problem - just keep it well balanced with 150-175 lb tongue weight. Lower is better - getting the smaller diameter tires under the bed to keep the overall height down is a good idea - not sure how you put brakes on them though?

evivant

TDI
06 jetta brm , 04 jetta manual with hidden hitch, 04 passat, 04 jetta
I have been towin 2 snowmobiles around for 2 years with my tdi. I figure im towin around 1500 lbs. I use a plain aluminum 2 place trailer. I have air bags in the rear springs. I have towed thru MAJOR snow storms. The trick is balancing the load so you have proper tongue weight. Top speed on the freeway is about 75 to 80 mph. And of course my mileage drops into the 20-25mpg range. As far as tires good all seasons work fine

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
meetis said:
Well Myself i have hauled 80 8x8x16 cinder blocks with my foldable trailer towed by my 01 tdi. biggest problems were hills and brakeing and that the trailer could only handel speeds of about 50 before it statred to sway.a few hundred pounds of gear would be a breeze by comparison especially if you get some electric brakes on the trailer. Getting moveing is easy by comparison to stopping fast.
Yep. I hauled 14 sheets of 4'x10' Hardie Panel. 90 pounds each. Since I was able to load it perfectly for 150 pounds of tongue weight, it was not a problem, even on a rather steep hill.

Pulled it 50 miles at a maximum of 50 MPH. But that was in perfect weather.

Surge brakes? Hate them. They are hard on a marginal hitch and with ABS? Electric brakes are far better as you can tune the intensity.